PDA

View Full Version : When does flanking count?

Lordmonkey
02-04-2008, 03:00
I have my unit of skeletons engaged with a unit of chaos warriors in the front. it's my turn, and my unit of 5 Dire wolves charges into the flank of the Chaos Warriors. The Dire Wolves fail to cause any damage, but the Chaos warriors strike back, inflicting 3 wounds on the Dire Wolves and bringing them below US5. I don't have my rulebook on me, so my question is:

Does the Chaos Warrior unit still count as being flanked? Is the unit strength of the Dire Wolf unit counted at the start of combat, or at the end of combat?

My gut feeling is they do not, since ranks used to be counted at the start of combat, while flankers were counted at the end.

Tarian
02-04-2008, 03:07
I'm pretty sure that US is counted at the end of combat, at least that's how it works for Outnumbering...

GodHead
02-04-2008, 03:16
Ranks count at the start. Flanks, and unit strength at the end.

Nurgling Chieftain
02-04-2008, 03:23
...Meaning that the flanked Chaos Warriors will not get their rank bonus (since they had a US10 flanker at the beginning of the combat) but the dire wolves will not get the +1 flank bonus (since they were less than US5 when the combat ended). Strange, but true... The US has to be counted twice in situations like this!

SuperArchMegalon
02-04-2008, 05:34
...Meaning that the flanked Chaos Warriors will not get their rank bonus (since they had a US10 flanker at the beginning of the combat) but the dire wolves will not get the +1 flank bonus (since they were less than US5 when the combat ended). Strange, but true... The US has to be counted twice in situations like this!

Woahh, really?? Can anyone else confirm this?? If a unit is flanked by a US5 attacker they lose their rank bonus regardless of how many flankers they kill? If that were true then they'd lose it even if they wiped out the flankers, which doesn't make sense to me.

Nurgling Chieftain
02-04-2008, 05:44
BRB, page 38, left column, fourth paragraph under "Extra Rank".

Losing the rank from a unit you wiped out isn't really any different from gaining rank bonuses from ranks which were wiped out - the rank bonus is always calculated based on units' status before any casualties are inflicted.

Benigno (WE)
02-04-2008, 09:17
QFT

That's the correct interpretation.

Mercules
02-04-2008, 12:02
Woahh, really?? Can anyone else confirm this?? If a unit is flanked by a US5 attacker they lose their rank bonus regardless of how many flankers they kill? If that were true then they'd lose it even if they wiped out the flankers, which doesn't make sense to me.

They get their Rank Bonus back at the start of the next turn and loose it AS SOON as they are charged in the flank by a US5+ unit. It's in the book under the flanking rules.