PDA

View Full Version : VC casting spells clearification needed

splat
02-04-2008, 14:14
I have been looking at the rules for minimum number a spell can be cast on.
it seems that some ppl may have interpted it incorrectly.

I read on one of these post that someone said you can't cast IoN on a 2+ with the staff and the vamp ability but I think that is incorrect.

if you read the rules for "mimimun 3 to cast" it doesn't seem to disallow this.

rule as quoted from pg 107 BRB "No matter how powerful a Wizard might be, he cannot cast a spell where the total of the dice result is less than 3. A result of 1 or 2 is always considered a failure, despite any modifiers. This is true regardless of any bonuses that might apply in any form, whether from a magic item or some other source"

to me this seems to allow the casting of IoN on a roll of 2+2 since the total of the die roll is 4 and succeeds in casting the spell. this rules looks to me to be something that stops people from trying to modify the actual cast difficulty of the spell they are trying to cast to lower than 3.

please correct me if I am wrong but this seems correct to me

P.S. I hope it isn't against warseers rules to post a small section of the rules. this paragraph alone isn't enough to play warhammer or even enough to use magic in a warhammer game. I just thought it would be helpful to have here so everyone was on the same footing when explaining their point of view.

Malorian
02-04-2008, 14:21
First of all is says the total of the dice, not the total of the dice AND the modifiers.

Secondly, if this was not the case, what would be the point of this rule in the rule book?

DeathlessDraich
02-04-2008, 16:17
P.S. I hope it isn't against warseers rules to post a small section of the rules. this paragraph alone isn't enough to play warhammer or even enough to use magic in a warhammer game. I just thought it would be helpful to have here so everyone was on the same footing when explaining their point of view.

GW finds this acceptable. Posting stat/characteristics is expressedly forbidden

I read on one of these post that someone said you can't cast IoN on a 2+ with the staff and the vamp ability but I think that is incorrect.

if you read the rules for "mimimun 3 to cast" it doesn't seem to disallow this.

1) The Minimum 3 to cast rule you quoted could also be interpreted as referring to dice rolls.
However if you don't there's this as well
2) The Miscast rules - pg 108 when 2 dice is used.
More below

to me this seems to allow the casting of IoN on a roll of 2+2 since the total of the die roll is 4 .

If one dice is rolled yielding a 2:

1) The *dice roll* is a 2.
2) The phrase used in the VC book is "casting roll" - +1 to the casting roll.
3) The phrase used on pg 107 is "dice result".

It would be almost impossible to argue that 'dice result' and 'result of a dice roll' do not have the same meaning for this purpose.

GodHead
02-04-2008, 16:20
A result of 1 or 2 is always considered a failure, despite any modifiers.

My emphasis.

Spirit
02-04-2008, 18:44
The +2 is a modifier. Why does any more than that need to be said?

2 on a die, with a +2 modifier = phail.