PDA

View Full Version : Stupidity on Ld8, worth the risk?

Arguleon-veq
02-04-2008, 16:38
This come up in 2 of my armies the first is -

Gobbo Warboss with the Battle Brew. He also has the Amulet of Steal Armour Saves, Great Axe and the One Hit Wonder. It's not all that big of an issue here as it will only be slowing up a unit of measly gobbos and even the character isnt that expensive.

My other one is -

Exalted Champ of Khorne with Helm of Many Eyes. He also has a Great Axe, and the Coller of Khorne. Now he is in my army for some Elf Slaying but if he fails that test he is holding up a unit of Khorne Warriors with great weapons. That would be a big blow.

What do you think?

theunwantedbeing
02-04-2008, 16:40
As a dark elf player, the answer is no.
Even stupidity on leadership 9 is a fairly big risk.

Although, him being stupid doesnt stop him from striking first...so it's not that big a risk really.

blurred
02-04-2008, 16:47
My greenskin army uses a unit of 4 trolls occasionally. Though they are pretty cheap nowadays, I've found that the stupidity is just too big a risk to use them in a competitive environment: LD 9 is not very reliable.

Oh btw, your gobbo must use his magical weapon at all times so great weapon is pretty useless. :)

Arguleon-veq
02-04-2008, 16:53
Thats a pain, I figured with it being one use only, after I used it I wouldnt actually count as having a weapon. Was a late edition for him anyway, he's usually just had his Great Axe.

After just reading it again though I should have noticed the wording doesnt make it seem like that at all.

The Wollopa will have to go back on my Wolf Big Boss with the Brimstone Baubel.

mav1971
02-04-2008, 18:45
As a dark elf player, the answer is no.
Even stupidity on leadership 9 is a fairly big risk.

Big suprise a Dark Elf player complaining about cold ones having stupidity.

My greenskin army uses a unit of 4 trolls occasionally. Though they are pretty cheap nowadays, I've found that the stupidity is just too big a risk to use them in a competitive environment: LD 9 is not very reliable.

I use trolls all the time with my Orc army. I keep them within 12" of my general and haven't had too much of a problem. They sometimes suprise me and make it on their LD of 4.

And as for Chaos I take an undivided lord with Helm of many eyes, great weapon, Gaze of the gods and Armor of Damnation. I love Helm of many eyes.

devolutionary
02-04-2008, 18:52
10/36 chance of failure, just under a third, yeah it's a bit of a risk really. At 9, it's a 5/6, which is reasonable, but at 8... I'll say that it's risky, but profitable.

What a load of crap. He didn't complain once. He said that at Ld 9 it is a big risk, and at 8 it's not worth the risk in his opinion. God these sorts of BS posts are becoming too damn common now.

GrogsnotPowwabomba
02-04-2008, 19:22

What was the point of this inflammatory comment? I didn't see a single complaint in his post.

Do us all a favor and don't post here anymore, troll. :rolleyes:

SuperArchMegalon
02-04-2008, 19:30
Give him a break, failing a LD4 stupidity test isn't that uncommon.

The Red Scourge
02-04-2008, 20:18
Ld 8, Helm of Stupidity???

No way!

The only ones, i'd entrust with the Helm of Many Eyes is an undivided lord or champ.

Yet.. I wonder.. What happens if a frenzied, stpid model is within charge range?

mav1971
02-04-2008, 20:58
What a load of crap. He didn't complain once. He said that at Ld 9 it is a big risk, and at 8 it's not worth the risk in his opinion. God these sorts of BS posts are becoming too damn common now.

What was the point of this inflammatory comment? I didn't see a single complaint in his post.

Do us all a favor and don't post here anymore, troll. :rolleyes:

The first thing is both of you calm down.

And the second thing is I didn't mean it as a personal attack on Theunwantedbeing and if he took it that way, i'm sorry. Its I have just heard enough Dark Players talk about how unfair stupidity is for cold ones.

theunwantedbeing
02-04-2008, 21:20
You do realise that there arent many other armies out there who actually have ANY stupid units beyond ultra low leadership trolls, not surprising that the only army with any stupid units other than trolls are complaining about it ruining their plans is there?
(helps to add /sarcasm to the end so people know your being sarcastic and dont get offended ^_^ )

I stated myself to be a dark elf player as,
1. I am
2. I cant think of any other army who actually has to deal with stupidity on more than 1 unit(unless to like to take loads of trolls)

If a frenzied stupid model is in charge range you first test for stupidity(this happens before charges are even decalred)
If you fail the test, your now moving at half rate, so it's unlikely you'll be in range of anything to be forced to charge.
If you pass the test, buisness as usual...charge the enemy and hack him to bits!

Jus Sanguinis
03-04-2008, 00:27
Stupidity? Why not! If you fail the test just laugh it off, perhaps do a little mime of a dazed and confused Chaos hero or a drunken goblin. Personally, I can practically guarantee that if I need to role 8 or less I will get double 6. Thatís ok, I play to have fun, if I win Ė thatís a nice bonus. So, stupidity? Go for it. When it works cheer! When it doesnít, laugh and then go to plan B. The important thing is that your opponent has as much fun as you do whilst you crush him into the dust. That way you can always organise a re-match.

GrogsnotPowwabomba
03-04-2008, 02:41
The first thing is both of you calm down.

And the second thing is I didn't mean it as a personal attack on Theunwantedbeing and if he took it that way, i'm sorry. Its I have just heard enough Dark Players talk about how unfair stupidity is for cold ones.

So you aren't attacking him personally, just Dark Elf players in general. That makes it all soooo much better... :rolleyes:

Seriously, what the hell were you thinking with a statement like that? Didn't it occurr to you that it might be inflammatory?

AzureDruchii
03-04-2008, 05:20
And the druchii begin to come out of the woodwork.

Your right mav, the one army that was rushed out then was so weak that it needed to be revised definitely doesnt have any room to complain about oh say the 29pt cold one knights compared to the 30pt asf 2 attack no stupidity dragon princes.

Stupidity is worth the risk if your army is redundant enough. I run 4 chariots in packs of 2's with corsair support. I expect each chariot to fail 1-2 each game it just always seems to be at bad times!

><
-Rex

Armilthuan
03-04-2008, 07:18
The answer for the battle brew is simple.

Night Goblin Big Boss on Giant Squig.
Guzzla's Battle Brew and Wolloppa's one hit Wunda.

If you become stupid, who cares? You 'always' move 3D6' inch. No more, no less. On the other hand, the other effects of the Battle Brew, Frenzy (and since they don't charge normally, they are also unaffected by the negative effects of Frenzy) and Hatred work wonders with Wolloppa's one hit Wunda.

I've had entire flanks fall before this guy. In one game, he ate a Dragon Mage, Tiranoc Chariot, 1 unit of Archers, 1 RBT and a unit of Spearmen with Archmage.

I seriously can't think of a Night Goblin that can deal more damage...

mav1971
03-04-2008, 13:33
So you aren't attacking him personally, just Dark Elf players in general. That makes it all soooo much better... :rolleyes:

Seriously, what the hell were you thinking with a statement like that? Didn't it occurr to you that it might be inflammatory?

True I should have said I was being sarcastic. My bad.

But your way too serious about what some stranger said in a gaming forum.

ReveredChaplainDrake
03-04-2008, 14:35
I cant think of any other army who actually has to deal with stupidity on more than 1 unit(unless to like to take loads of trolls)

Lizards. Aside from the ubiquitous Cold Ones (big deal; Ld8 + CB = win), Lizards also have more monsters than any other army, and 1/3 of all monster reaction tests wind up with stupidity. And those don't use Cold-Blooded.

I would say that one stupid unit, maybe 2 is okay because it's easier to react in contingency when you only have to worry about a single unit going dumb. When you start having the potential for 2 or 3 units to spontaneously go stupid, you have more contingencies to cover for.

N810
03-04-2008, 14:43
Regular Ld 8 ~ pass about 72% of the time
Regular Ld 9 ~ pass about 83% of the time

Cold Blooded Ld 8 ~ pass about 86% of the time

brambleten
03-04-2008, 15:43
the only time my cold ones (lizardmen) have failed their stupidity was when they were about to be flank charged in the following turn by wild riders and some other WE nasties. brilliant timing guys...

Havock
03-04-2008, 17:40
The only time my cold ones failed their stupidity test is when I wanted them to charge.

Thankfully, chaos horses are not stupid.

mav1971
03-04-2008, 19:08
This come up in 2 of my armies the first is -

Exalted Champ of Khorne with Helm of Many Eyes. He also has a Great Axe, and the Coller of Khorne. Now he is in my army for some Elf Slaying but if he fails that test he is holding up a unit of Khorne Warriors with great weapons. That would be a big blow.

What do you think?

With your champs strength of 5 against elves you really don't need a great weapon unless you go against heavy cavalry.

Havock
03-04-2008, 23:34
the Helm of Many eyes works best with an Undivided lord and its a purely defensive-offense thing. Warriors usually get charged. Usually by something that can hurt them, it's not a bad investment: Exalted champion with helm of many eyes, great weapon and shield, Blood Keep won't be pleased, neither will chariots. He might find his best place in a big unit of marauders with light armor, hand weapon and shield. They provide the static combat res, he takes the sting out of stuff that could otherwise threaten the unit.