PDA

View Full Version : 2000pt Ogre Kingdoms vs High Elves with Pics!

Peegore
02-04-2008, 23:42
Phew. It's been some time coming, but I managed to get the report finished!

The battle was an objectives based game pitching my Ogres ( again! ) against my mate Darryls High Elves.

You'll find the batrep ( and outcome ) linked below.

http://peegorespage.awardspace.com

Once again, any comments, queries or quibbles will be happily answered!

Peegore.

Oenghus
03-04-2008, 00:21
Great battle report. I thought you had the victory right up until the end.

marv335
03-04-2008, 00:49
And that's why I like objective based games rather than "kill 'em all" free for alls.

Arguleon-veq
03-04-2008, 00:54
Great BatRep.

Bullcharge goes before ASF though?, if so, that applies to all impact hits? That would make my new Great Weapon Helm of Many Eyes champ pretty useless in his role of White Lion Chariot smashing if it is lol.

Im suprised you didnt try to take those Swordmasters down to half strength on the last turn, wasnt that the only unit he had left over half strength? He'd have only probably killed 1 Ogre before you got to hack away with your character and unit, Id have thought they would have stood a decent chance of getting what they needed.

Peegore
03-04-2008, 05:41
Yup, Bull charge, like all impact based hits ( chariots etc ) go before ASF. It right there in the BRB, and it's been clarified on this very site in the past.

Order is - Impact Hits, ASF in Initiative Order, Chargers.

Swordmasters on the last turn. Hmmm, I probably should have gone for it. It would have been the Ogre-like thing to do. But I figured they had at least 11 attacks on their front rank, WS 6 ST 5 ASF, and they had a BSB with god only knew what magical banner ( I assumed Battle banner, the way they were strutting around, for +d6 CR ).

Don't forget I wouldn't get any Bull charge impacts in ( I was within 6" charge range = no bull charge! ). So all his ASF hits were going first. + static CR, + Any Battle/War Banner. I'd have been beaten-off quite easily.

I basically hoped for a draw ( i.e. 0vp each ) by causing the hill to remain contested by end of game...

@marv335: Objective based games, in a non-tournament based environment, really should be played way more often! And armies start to be used in a manner more fitting to a BATTLE. In standard pitched battles with standard VP's, it's all about points denial, making points back on individual units, basically pussyfooting about not wanting to give up vp's if you drop that standard when you break etc.etc.

With Objectives etc you can ( usually! ) Send whole units to their glorious deaths, not worrying about individual Points costs...it about achieving you goal. And if all you men have to die to do it... then THAT'S a real battle!

Pity I can't remember this when I play objectives...:rolleyes::)

tiass
03-04-2008, 10:18
Great report, 1 thing troubles me though the giant charges the spearmen by the use of EitW, ends up in the front, then both units causes 2 wounds, and the spearelves looses combat by 2? what about ranks, outnumber, banner? the giant would loose big time, and then the spear elves flee in the direction the giant charged them ?

Unicorn
03-04-2008, 11:24
great report! And the pictures where much clearer this time, keep up the good work :)

Peegore
03-04-2008, 14:02
@tiass: I'll pop ina quote from the batrep -
"The speed of Asuryan saw many blows rain down on the Giant, causing him 2 wounds, with him wildly swinging with club and swatting 2 Spearmen in return. Combat was resolved, and Lucky needed 6 or less to stay in the fight. Oops, rolled two 5's. He was off, and another unit was running through the main Tyrant block! "

The spearmen caused 2 wounds, had 2 ranks, outnumber and a banner ( 6 cr in total ). He caused 2 wounds. That's 6-2 = 4 off his LD of 10 = 6

As it says, Lucky ( the Giant ) needed 6 or less to stay in the fight but he rolled 10. he broke and fled through the Ironguts ( as can be seen by the yellow arrow and him running away on the picture above the description! )

I'll re-write that paragraph anyway, just in case it's not very clear!

As I say, any input is good input. Unless you diss my mamma...:)

Malorian
03-04-2008, 14:21
The battle report and the web site are looking much better : ) Good report.

P.S. Yo momma plays warhammer like a girl!!!

Boss_Salvage
03-04-2008, 15:15
Another great report Peegore, and I like the new picture format and arrows, which were quite helpful with the color key and all that. Always nice to see ogres out on the rampage :D

3 Things

1) Panic tests are caused only by suffering 25% casualties in a phase, not wounds. It's a strength of having all those 3 wound fatties running around, can soak up wounds without taking casaulties and losing models. So the belchers that took 2 wounds in turn 1 would NOT have had to test and subsequently run. Think you might have been taking excessive tests on the yhets too.

2) Remember when the gnoblars charged the spearmen over on the flank? Maybe you thought of it too but if the objective was to just knock off 1 model than I think moving up and flinging sharp stuff would have been far better than charging. 10 shots hitting on 5 is better than they'd do in combat AND there's no getting hit by ASF and 3 ranks of attaks. Ironically if the spears charge the gnobs next turn they're only taking 1 rank worth of attaks striking first anway :rolleyes:

3) Do you customize lists vs specific opponents? Cool if you do, explains the giantbreaker + sword of attaks combo, which is cool and oh-so-useful against elves.

- Salvage

Peegore
03-04-2008, 15:41
@ Boss_Salvage
Now then Boss, thanks for the input as usual. Always good.

1) Er, yes. I REALLY don't know why I worked from 25% wounds instead of models. It's something I haven't ( to my knowledge ) done before... I blame Darryl. Games against him are always in a really relaxed atmosphere. I'm sure he slipped me rohypnol or something during the game. Funnily enough I don't remember what happened for several hours after the game... and I couldn't sit down for days...

2) That DIDN'T occur to me. I have only just started using gnoblars ( literally since I started posting these batreps. Mainly because I couldn't face painting them since they were released! ) and always forget the sharp stuff! It WOULD have been a really obvious answer. CHEERS! I'll remember that in future!

3) Yes to a degree, if I know who I'm facing. And my fave combo at the moment, unless I REALLY need to kill a hard character, is Sword of Striking at +1 To Hit and +1 Str from Giantgreaker. usually 5 attacks hitting on 2+ at Sr 6. Not bad and quite versatile....

Boss_Salvage
03-04-2008, 17:30
Striking + Giantbreaker is a sexy combo, and one I might run sometime as I've got a slavegiant on the way. I for one take the same weapon vs everyone - siegebreaker! With mawseeker my tyrant is S8 T6 W5 which is frankly pretty cracked out. Admittedly it's a poor match up in some cases, such as fighting the damn wood elves I've been hacking at for 3 games straight now, but I refuse to swap it out on principle. My one game vs slayers it worked pretty well though, smashing those slow stunties :D

- Salvage

SevenSins
03-04-2008, 18:24
nice rep peegore, and a good format (tried to read some of your earlier rep's but they were a bit scrunched up)
OK is one of the armies with a nice counter to the new HE's annoying ASF

Grom Wronghand
03-04-2008, 18:48
Hey, I've read your lst three battle reports and I've got to say they're excellent. Great format, easy to read and cool arrows make it nice and understandable. Ifind with many battle reports you never quite know whats happening and its all a bit chaotic, but not so here. I'm looking forward to the next one!

Peegore
03-04-2008, 19:13
Cheers Grom! Feedback like that makes it all worthwhile. BTW I'll be playing a 3-way ( not 2 vs 1, every man for himself! God only knows how that's going to work! ) next week, so I'll attempt a report for that.

Sevensins, I'll check how the pages are formatted over the last three reports and see if I can tweak them. I check them in IE7 and Firefox in my 1240x1024 pc and a 1024x768 laptop. But again, feedback like this is really useful! Thanks.

And finally Da Boss_Salvage. I used to run that combo when I first started playing ogres and it is a great nut-cracker. Thing is, and this is where it's interesting how different groups play, me and my gaming mates tend not to take Uber characters and go more balanced, and the combo started to seem overkill. So over time I ended up with the combo you see in the report, and I find it's a safe bet against many armies. Although I did take Tenderiser vs Vamps, as I REALLY wanted to guarantee squished vampire or two!

Oh and I'm one of the few muppets who takes a slavegiant for fun, so I may as well take Giantbreaker name while I'm at it!

Boss_Salvage
03-04-2008, 20:03
Although I did take Tenderiser vs Vamps, as I REALLY wanted to guarantee squished vampire or two!
Aye, I only intend to take the Standardizer against vamps, cause they deserve it. Otherwise, I'd say siegebreaker is actually not too much of a powerbuild vs Big T ...

But look forward to my giant too, should be fun and dead to shooting a lot :skull:

- Salvage

gd09garett
03-04-2008, 23:10
SNIP
2) Remember when the gnoblars charged the spearmen over on the flank? Maybe you thought of it too but if the objective was to just knock off 1 model than I think moving up and flinging sharp stuff would have been far better than charging. 10 shots hitting on 5 is better than they'd do in combat AND there's no getting hit by ASF and 3 ranks of attaks. Ironically if the spears charge the gnobs next turn they're only taking 1 rank worth of attaks striking first anway :rolleyes:

SNIP

- Salvage

Not quite. The HEs strike with 2 ranks of spears when they charge.

Volker the Mad Fiddler

TheSanityAssassin
04-04-2008, 05:45
I really enjoyed that Batrep, and also to watch that HE Army on the field. The "nonstandard" build is almost exactly like my own (I take PG instead of white lions, and 2 level 2's instead of the LV 3, and obviously don't take Korhil). I played a game against an ogre list that surprisingly enough looked almost exactly like yours, and it was interesting to see a lot of the same things come up.

He lost his Tyrant unit because of an ill-conceived Gnoblar flank charge, which ended up losing him a ton of Combat Res (it was into Swordsmasters, and I killed all 6 Gnoblars that I could hit), and we also had a Gorger and a Lion Chariot play tag (though the Lion Chariot won badly in my case). The thing I would have recommended to him was to fire more Bolts at your fighty Ogre units. Drop them below 3 Ogres and no more Bull Charge....suddenly things become a LOT more difficult for the Ladz in combat...

Peegore
04-04-2008, 09:55
@TheSanityAssassin: Yes, it's something not many Ogre opponents are aware of, unless they play against them a lot. You need 3 ogres minimum to bull charge. Useful tidbit of info there. Nice to read about people running "nonstandard lists" as well...

@gd09garett: Yes, that's correct. High Elves add +1 rank of spears in combat to 'the normal rules'. So 2 on the defence and 1 on the charge becomes 3 on the defence and 2 on the charge... again, a good point.