PDA

View Full Version : I'm a Blood Bowl Noob

Desert Rat
03-04-2008, 04:26
Looking through the rules and team rosters and ability to use models I have, I am thinking of a Norse,Lizardmen, or Empire team. Can you give me some of the pro's and con's from actual games that I might not get from reading the rule book.

Thanks in advance.

Tennboy
03-04-2008, 13:36
If I was you starting out in BB, I would go with a human roster. They are the most well rounded roster in the Book, LRB4, or LRB5.

their Pros: They have the starting skills to do anything with decent armor to stand their and swap licks. In more than one league, my humans versatility proved to be the deciding factor, because I had the positionals and the skills to switch my game plan that played to my opponents weakness. i.e. when i played bash teams, I pushed the pace with my running and passing game. When I played elfs and skaven, I'd grind them into the ground using bash tactics.

The teams that gave me the most trouble were Lizards (until I got rid of most of the skinks) and D. Elfs with a good coach (because they are as versatile as the humans, just not for a new coach)

Cons: Catchers running away with all the SPP, but I normally only ever have 2 on the roster. And normally I have them stop scoring TD's when they become Blodging, side steping, Pass Blocking Safeties.

Desert Rat
03-04-2008, 23:27
How about a Norse team? I know that the "Humans" are the base line, but I would like to hear more about the Norse.

Darkson
04-04-2008, 11:24
Norse are a strange one. They're a Bashy team, but fragile (only AV7).

I'll echo Tennboy - start with Humans (or Orcs), then progress to the more "difficult" teams.

rev
04-04-2008, 11:53
I really like Humans to start also.

You can go balanced, muscle or pace and they're all round goodness for both beginner and expert alike.

go with your gut though mate, its always the best course.

rev

Tennboy
04-04-2008, 16:12
Well not knowing which rulebook you are playing under, giving advice on the Norse is kind of difficult.

Under LRB4 I really liked the Norse. Fielding 4 berserkers is just flat out nasty. I played them as a Strong running team, only making quick and short pass. I used my berserkers like surgeons cutting holes in the defense and running through the pocket with the rest of the team and caging up.

I didn't really try to go toe-to-toe with high AV teams until I had a 2 TD lead and had been able to pitch several players of into the sidelines.

Desert Rat
04-04-2008, 20:44
Thanks guys I appreciate the responces. I understand as a new BB player maybe getting a human team might be the smart way to go, however as I'm not so smart and a little hard headed I put together my Norse team last night. I still have to green stuff the werwolves and my yeti but I should be done this weekend.

Again I do appreciate the feedback, but after playing GW games for several years and gaming alot longer than that, I think I will be able to figure out the Norse. If I end up getting my butt handed to me continuesly then I will come back on the board and allow you all to get your "I told you so's" in writing.

Happy Gaming.

Tennboy
07-04-2008, 15:10
Norse are a great team. Play a bunch of one off games to get your feet wet with them though and don't get discouraged if the team gets beat up while your still learning the basics.

Desert Rat
10-04-2008, 05:13
Alright...I've got my first full game under my belt and we ended in a tie 0-0. We were using the 4 minute time period and with our limited knowledge of the rules I'm sure we messed up a few times. I am pretty sure that if my opponent was out for blood he would have won.

As it is, we both had fun and I can see where I need to progress a little bit. He had a dwarf team with several rerolls and he caught me several times with illegal procedure. He also started to foul alot and I didn't start to until late in the second half.

All things considered I had a great time and am sure that I'll be playing several more games soon.

Tennboy
10-04-2008, 13:31
Illegal Procedure is for B*tches. It's a game have fun with it, who cares if you forgot to move your turn marker.

igman3977
12-04-2008, 05:34
And yet it's a rule that has been in the game for nearly, if not all, every edition. So, what's that say about the designers?

Darkson
12-04-2008, 20:29
That JJ can't remember what turn it is? ;)

Desert Rat
01-05-2008, 05:31
I had my second game tonight with the Norse. I left the Yeti at home and brought the Werewolf and an extra reroll instead. The game ended 1-0 in my favor. I am liking the way the norse play, but I still haven't had a chance to throw the ball yet.

Go Norsca!