PDA

View Full Version : Turn to face flankers?

UvulaBob
11-10-2005, 17:07
Maybe this is somewhere in the depths of the Rules forum, but I'm not sure of the right search terms to use.

If a unit is charged in the flank, can it turn to face them?

I guess I've seen too many single rank of knights getting flanked and not being able to fight back with more than one knight.

Anyone?

Avian
11-10-2005, 18:22
No, they can't.

There is a badly worded sentence in the rulebook that has confused more gamers than I care to mention, but it would be pointless to go to the effort of flanking an enemy unit if they could just turn and avoid any penalties.

And if your knights get flanked it's your own fault. :p

Arthion
11-10-2005, 19:53
You only may place a joined character in the sequent turn on the flank to fight back.

T10
12-10-2005, 09:31
Turning to face attackers is usually considered unecessary - a model is not limited to attacking models to its front. Turning individual models is allowed, but does not negate flanking, nor does it allow units to use fight-in-ranks weapons towards the unit's flanks or rear.

As far as cavalry is concerned, the rectangular base is makes turning awkward in any situation.

I believe that, technically, you are allowed to turn the cavalry model to face the enemy. This could reduce the number of models brought into contact on a flank charge. In practice you will find it is very awkward. If your opponent calls you out for being a rules-lawyer* then suck it up: he's right.

-T10

*) For exploiting a rules technicality.