PDA

View Full Version : VC Helm of Commandment Viability

TheDudeGuyMan
04-04-2008, 14:07
So I was thinking about it, is the Helm of Commandment really even at all viable? I mean, I get that the idea is to keep your lord safe and out of combat, but he's just so dang good in combat! For the same points as the HoC, you could get your lord the Flayed Hauberk and a Biting Blade, which would make him relatively safe in combat, as well as a combat monster. Is there ever a point at which giving WS 7 to one of your units is preferable to 4 strength 5 attacks? I mean, that's just too burly to pass up. Thoughts?

Soul of Iron
04-04-2008, 14:11
Place in on a caster thrall and keep it out of combat. With that item you can make your GG/BK hit on 2's.

That's one of the best items in the VC book.

E-616
04-04-2008, 14:12
Well, so far I've only taken the Helm on a purely magic based Vamp lord, it can make a big difference when Skeletons with spears are being hit on 5's by anything WS3 or less and hitting back on 3's against most units.

I suppose it all depends on how you've structured your army, a lot of core units benefit the most from the Helm imo :)

Aryakin
04-04-2008, 14:13
Helm of commandment isn't meant for a lord, hell i prefer to slap it down onto one of my support casty vampires as its WS 6 is probably being wasted anyway.

Spirit
04-04-2008, 17:15
I have it on a lvl2 avatar of death thrall on a hellsteed, with the black periapt also. He jumps around casting spells, march blocking, raising zombies behind combat and giving said combats WS6

I don't see how it can possibly be seen as not viable.

Oberon
04-04-2008, 17:23
Helm of commandment isn't meant for a lord, hell i prefer to slap it down onto one of my support casty vampires as its WS 6 is probably being wasted anyway.

And yet the helm gives most benefit when it is a lord who wears it... There is a difference between WS6 and WS7, and sometimes its a big one.
I almost always take one on caster lord, it makes my opponents beware charging even lowly zombies (saurus warriors, who should grind their way through whole regiments at once, suddenly hardly make a dent in the mass).

The allowance for a lord really is 70 pts, not 100 :D

Glabro
04-04-2008, 18:45
A Master of the Dark Arts-thrall without Flayed Hauberk is the ideal candidate for the helm. Sure, the lord's WS7 is better, and with certain lord builds the helm is a good choice, but if you want your lord to fight, give the helm to the thrall. The one point of WS is not worth messing up your overall battle plan.

Latro
04-04-2008, 18:50
The extra point of WS a Lord gives only really matters against WS 3 opponents ... and those aren't the troops I'm really worried about anyway. For me the WS 6 coming from a casting Thrall is more than enough and gives me more freedom in how I use my Lord as well.

:cool:

Spirit
04-04-2008, 19:02
And yet the helm gives most benefit when it is a lord who wears it... There is a difference between WS6 and WS7, and sometimes its a big one.
I almost always take one on caster lord, it makes my opponents beware charging even lowly zombies (saurus warriors, who should grind their way through whole regiments at once, suddenly hardly make a dent in the mass).

The allowance for a lord really is 70 pts, not 100 :D

While i do agree with this, i much prefer my lord to be in combat, AND casting magic, seeing as he is 500 points of your army. In a 3k game, i would definately do this, but my experience, is that i would rather have an expendable thrall making any unit i want WS6, as opposed to being stuck with range 12" from the unit the vamp is in (which must avoid combat for the lord to use it well)

I know there is a big difference between ws6 and ws7, but i think having a lord killing and casting out weighs this.

sulla
04-04-2008, 20:31
Everyone talks about how good it makes lowly core troops. In my experience, it's most annoying when I charge grave guard. Hard enough to kill at the best of times, now I only hit them on 4's even with my best guy (highborn). There's just no way to do enough casualties unless I can sacrifice something vs the vamp lord in the same turn.

On the subject of lord vs hero vamp using it, I am a firm believer that the heroes should be tooled for combat and the lord should be tooled for casting and protection. He's the main man. Kill him and the army crumbles. Let his minions do all the fighting while he hides at the back.