PDA

View Full Version : fleeing charges/pursuit question

sephiroth87
04-04-2008, 20:57
Ok, I do not have my rulebook handy, so please bear with me.

I was playing in a tournament a while back and my opponent declared declared a charge from his black knights to my skinks. Behind my skinks, I had a unit of kroxigors more than 14'' away from his knights. I fled the charge with the skinks, thinking that it would be a failed charge and I could counter with the kroxies.

I managed to get away with the skinks, which ran behind the kroxigors.

My opponent then moved his black knights up 7'', then declared a new charge against my kroxigors, for a grand total of 21'' in movement. He quoted a rule in the rulebook that stated if a unit flees a charge, the charger may immediately declare a new charge against an enemy in the way. I don't have the page number, but I'm assuming it's the enemy in the way rule.

I got the judge, who promptly let it happen. I did not agree with the ruling, but the judge said it was ok.

Then in my last game, another player did the same thing with a unit of bloodcrushers against the skink/kroxigor combo. I questioned it again and the judge let it happen. Is this legal? It wouldn't even be a question for me normally, but it happened twice.

theunwantedbeing
04-04-2008, 21:08
The judge should be shot.....
It was a failed charge as the black knights did not have the range to declare a new charge on the kroxigor(which incidentally would have been measured from where they started, not after they've already moved a bit).

Nurgling Chieftain
04-04-2008, 21:16
Declaring a new charge via enemy in the way happens BEFORE and, if successful, INSTEAD OF failed charge movement. They definitely do not get to do the failed charge move and THEN an additional enemy-in-the-way full charge, that's just ridiculous, and easily abused, since EitW has no limitations for the number of times it can be declared.

You never get to BOTH fail AND succeed at charging in the same movement phase. Pardon my emphasis, but that really is an entirely retarded thing for both your opponent and the judge(!?) to have asserted.

Lordmonkey
05-04-2008, 00:16
Declaring a new charge via enemy in the way happens BEFORE and, if successful, INSTEAD OF failed charge movement.

In a nutshell. Sack your judge.

sephiroth87
05-04-2008, 02:02
Thanks, guys. I'm just going to another tournament and I wanted some material so this didn't happen again.

bluekitsune13
05-04-2008, 02:10
I think that could have been a rule in a previous version, as I remember reading it somewhere. It's still very unfair though. If the Kroxigors were within the 14", would the knights have charged them instead? I think that's what's meant by the "enemy in the way" rule.

theunwantedbeing
05-04-2008, 02:26
Not quite...the enemy they were wanting to charge was destroyed or fled out of range, so assuming there is an enemy in the way of their charge, they get to charge that enemy instead, assuming they are in range.