PDA

View Full Version : How do I stay in?

Destroyerofworlds
05-04-2008, 00:06
I am a big fan of warhammer, though it seems I am the only one in my area who thinks that way. I have about 1500 points of chaos, 500 tyranids and I even have a few fantasy regiments. I am desperatly trying to stay in, but with no opponents to play against it seems futile. While I enjoy painting it seems like I am wasting my money. How can I stay in the hobby?

Ravenheart
05-04-2008, 00:22
Painting display pieces would be an idea.
It will improve your painting skill, impress people (maybe even converting them 40k) and in the long run you might even win a competition or two.

Other than that, internet forums are a good idea to find people of your area who play 40k.

ankara halla
05-04-2008, 01:11
Play small games with your collection with your friends. Like in a hangaround night you'll be having to watch a movie or whatever, throw in a small game (500 pts. max per side, simple units, simple rules... look at SG and Combat Patrol for reference) that'll take no more than an hour or less. Make balanced and easy lists (no special rules!!!) and a simple scenario you can play on the coffee table before the main event of the evening (movie or whatever...).

Paint more models to add to your collection so you can make more varied armies and scenarios. You might get a player or two to play against.

Or just keep modelling, it's a rewarding hobby in it's own. Just remeber that the modelling- or even the miniature world isn't restricted to GW. It's a big world out there :)

max the dog
05-04-2008, 01:36
Geographically, where are you? Maybe some of us know of a gaming club in your area. Do a web search, you'll probably find a few.

recceboy
05-04-2008, 01:47
I had the same problem ,but I stayed with it and built up the Forces of Good & Evil. I have played many games over the years from 1st edition going to the 5th, it is a good hobby. Enjoy the time that you have to work on those minis..........

Lord Cook
05-04-2008, 01:47
None of my normal friends plays Warhammer. You just have to go out to new clubs and meet new people. If distance is an issue, travel to events that will allow you to play more than 1 or 2 games, like a tournament.

intellectawe
05-04-2008, 02:00
If you live in the Florida Melbourne area, come to The Wizard's Wall. Our current campaign has 19 active 40k players.

lousydiceroller
05-04-2008, 03:02
I guess I would think back to how you started yourself. What made you start playing and investing in the hobby?

For me it was a friend who had a large Eldar army. I used his models for awhile. After a few hours of playing we went to the local hobby store. I picked the big chaos army box set because I thought the models were cool.

If a person is looking to start an army, maybe the store could offer some incentive. For me the owner gave me a copy of the chaos codex.

My suggestion would boil down to these things.

- Finish one complete army. This would show new players how cool the armies look after all that hard work. Having multiple armies half finished may confuse new players and may let them know how hard the task really is.

- When you do play, make sure you lose. No one wants to get into a game they just lost.

- If all else fails use this time to paint and build terrain.

Skeltergeist
05-04-2008, 12:19
This is my problem, since the local shop closed its really difficult to find any players.

I got my friend interested by getting him to play Dow and now he's starting a Tau army.

Eryx_UK
05-04-2008, 13:06
Maybe you could advertise somewhere? I have a sizeable of gamer friends who I have met simply through answering an ad in the window of a newsagents 18 years ago.

Pitalla Crimson
05-04-2008, 18:13
I am a big fan of warhammer, though it seems I am the only one in my area who thinks that way. I have about 1500 points of chaos, 500 tyranids and I even have a few fantasy regiments. I am desperatly trying to stay in, but with no opponents to play against it seems futile. While I enjoy painting it seems like I am wasting my money. How can I stay in the hobby?

Welcome to my world, I am living in mexico and there is no one to play 40k or Lotr.:(
Thats why I am more into painting and miniatures than into the actual game now.

MrPickles
06-04-2008, 02:19
If you really want to play 40k, play it online with VASSAL.

http://warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=102929&highlight=VASSAL

aberrant_unc
06-04-2008, 02:41
Vassal is great; don't quit you never know when you will end up moving to an area with players.