PDA

View Full Version : Slaanesh CM, 2250. Help me

Cartoon
05-04-2008, 01:33
This is my first ever list so I'm sure it's got some glaring weaknesses, but I would be eternally grateful if someone could help me refine it and point me in the right direction. Also, for 2250 points, it seems like I have way to few models. I'm making a mortal Slaanesh army, so here goes:

Chaos Lord - 365pts
MoS, Rending Sword, Chaos Runeshield, Steed of Slaanesh.

Sorcerer - 206pts
MoS, Lvl 2, 2 dispel scolls, chaos steed

Sorcerer - 320pts
MoS, Lvl 2, Power Familiar, Chariot

Aspiring Chaos Champion - 270pts
MoS, Talisman of Protection, Scepter of Domination, Chariot

5 Chosen Chaos Knights - 295pts
MoS, full command, chosen

5 Chaos Knights - 235pts
MoS, full command

10 Marauder Horsemen - 200pts
full command, throwing axes

8 Marauder Horsemen - 112pts

25 Marauders - 175pts
full command, shields

6 warhounds - 36pts

6 warhounds - 36pts

Total - 2250pts

I guess it's kinda dumb to have that big block of marauders that won't be able to keep up with the rest of the army and will probably haul ass of the table without a character with them. Also, I was planning on sticking the Lord with the chosen knights as it seems like a good combo.

Overall, I am probably just asking to get my ass kicked but I have virtually no idea what I'm doing right now and I really like chariots for some reason. I tossed around the idea of dropping the regular knights and adding more marauders or warriors to give some sort of infantry, but I wanted some feedback first.

Thanks for the help.

Cartoon
05-04-2008, 13:44
One more question, what are the better magic items to take? I'm kinda torn between the berserker sword or the sword of rending. Also, the chaos runeshield seems like it would be useful, is it worth the point cost?

l1ttle
05-04-2008, 14:56
you should probably take the Bane shield

Cartoon
05-04-2008, 17:24
So bane shield over runeshield, cool. Thanks for the input. Are there any other magic items that are must have for chaos characters?

Also, are non-chosen chaos knights worth it, or am I better off with more marauders or warriors.

As for the chariots, they seem like it would be fun to play with, although I have no idea if it will be effective or not.

athamas
05-04-2008, 18:04
on the steed of slaanesh the bezerker sword is fun, in my 1.5k army i use a hero with that and the E shield, its great, i always get atleast 2 extra attacks, maybe more, [have had him dishing out 9 attacks before]

if you can, drop the un mounted marauders and take more of everything else!

Cartoon
05-04-2008, 20:49
Thanks again for the responses. Are marauder horsemen just kind of useless compared to knights? I was thinking that with throwing axes or spears I would have at least a little range, but I guess six inches is pretty negligable.

Yehoshua
05-04-2008, 21:00
Much of Chaos selection depends on who you are fighting against.
E.g., chariots are not so hot if your opponent has cannons or access to guys that can do ST 7 hits.

Marauder horsemen are fast cavalry who have a tactical role insofar as they are capable of fleeing from enemy charges (and drawing the enemy into a disadvantageous position) on turn 2 or 3 and being back in the fight by turn 4 or 5. Run them at 5 or 6 horsemen at most. There is no reason to give them a rank bonus.
There's a post further discussing them in Tactics.

There are more suggestions I'd make, but I realize I've said much of this stuff in the last 10 or so Slaanesh lists posted here.

Papawolf
05-04-2008, 21:30
for ur lord its a gay but awesome slaanesh combo
gaze of the gods
enchanted shield
blade of blood
pendant of slaanesh
i normally take it on a barded steed cos of the better armour save but steed of slaanesh is fine

instead of the aspiring i would take an exalted on foot with great weopon and helm of many eyes and have him in the marauder unit. he always strikes first with 4 str 7 attacks and the marauders just give static res
its a cool combo

i dont rate throwing axes
i would rather have three units of 6 marauder horsemen with flails, and a musician to use as flankers and artillery assassins
relatively cheap and quite effective

good first list though

Cartoon
06-04-2008, 05:02
I really appreciate the input guys, thanks a bunch. So much to learn. After reading some past Slaanesh lists I think I'm starting to get a good idea of whats effective and whats not. Once again, thank you for taking the time to respond.

wolfenstein
06-04-2008, 09:28
drop all the marauders and the m.horsemen and get a couple of units of chaos warrriors of slannesh.

Yehoshua
06-04-2008, 09:42
Christ, slaanesh non-chosen chaos warriors are only better than marauders if you expect to take 3+ rounds of very heavy shooting, or if you can't take a Nurgle-character in the unit and will be facing large blocks of Fear-causers.

Marauders with LA+Shield and a BSB+Warbanner are mathematically better in close combat than the same points of non-Khorne warriors (haven't done the math for Khorne, mostly because the idea of frenzied infantry seems problematic).

athamas
06-04-2008, 11:38
drop all the marauders and the m.horsemen and get a couple of units of chaos warrriors of slannesh.

why would you do this?

chaos warriors, although looking cool, suck something rotten....

stick the mounted units all the way untill the new army book comes out!

Cartoon
06-04-2008, 15:32
Well, I dropped the un-mounted marauders in favor of another unit of knights and I also dropped the marauder horsemen down to units of five with a full command. I might bump the aspiring up to an exalted, but I'm not sure if it's worth it. Would I be better off getting rid of him entirely and adding another sorcerer or unit?

Does putting a sorcerer in a chariot make sense? I don't know how much combat I would want him to see.

Also, my hope was that when I face a opponent with cannons that between two chariots and a unit of chosen knights he will have a tougher time deciding which one to blow up. If I'm really lucky I'll only lose one until I can get my warhounds up to his cannons.

I guess this is probably day dreaming but chariots seem like a lot of fun to play.

Nightsword
06-04-2008, 16:52
Hey, I would give the lord the berserker sword rather than the rending sword. Consider the frontage of the base (50x50) if in a frontal combat with 20 empire swordsmen. If you were dead centre, then that would be 3 extra attacks! I'd take the sorceror out of the chariot and put him on a horse, he should be flitting around helping the troops with the lore of shadows, not getting in combat. They're useless.
Chariots are alright when used in pairs, but are slow compared to your horsemen. You might leave them behind with only movement 7. They're better accompanying any blocks of infantry you might have. I'd put the aspiring champion on a horse with a battle standard and put him in the "normal" knights unit for some support. Also, 6 marauder horse with flails and a musician will be enough for those units.
I don't know what to say about the marauders. I quite liked infantry until I had a game against an empire gunline and it took my infantry (consisting of 20 marauders, 20 khorne warriors and 10 bloodletters) forever to get into combat. Nearly 4 turns in fact. Depends on the models you have. Maybe consider a unit of mounted daemonettes or a beast unit, like dragon ogres or minotaurs?

Cartoon
06-04-2008, 19:15
Ok I revised my list based off the suggestions. Please tell me how I'm doing

Chaos Lord - 345pts
Berserker Sword, Bane Shield, Steed of Slaanesh, MoS

Aspiring Champion - 166pts
BSB Warbanner (+1 Combat Res), Chaos Steed, MoS

Chaos Sorcerer - 206pts
2 Dispel Scrolls, Chaos Steed, Lvl 2 Caster, MoS

Chaos Sorcerer - 206pts
Power Familiar, Chaos Steed, Lvl 2 Caster, MoS

Core Units

6 Chosen Knights of Slaanesh - 390pts
Full Command, Rapturous Standard, MoS

5 Chaos Knights - 215pts
Musician, Champion, MoS (I was planning to stick the aspiring champion in here)

5 Chaos Knights - 235pts
Full Command, MoS

6 Marauder Horsemen - 96pts
Flails, Musician

6 Marauder Horsemen - 90pts
Flails

(2 units of) 5 Warhounds - 60pts

Rare Units

3 Dragon Ogres - 237pts
Great Weapon, Light Armor

Let me know what you think. Without big blocks of infantry I guess the chariots wouldn't work so well so I dropped them. I'm planning on sticking the aspiring in with one unit of knights and the lord in with the chosen. Is that too many points in one unit? Also, do I have enough magic power/defense to compete?

darkstar
06-04-2008, 21:45
2 level 2 mages is pretty standard, as is 2 dispel scrolls. Especially with that power familiar.
It might be worth considering dropping one of the marauder horsemen units for a unit of 6 furies. Always fun.

Yehoshua
07-04-2008, 02:19
If you're going to take a Lord, there is the Blender unit of 11 Chosen Warriors with FC+Warbanner, Halberds and Shields + the Lord on foot with the Slaughterer's Blade, Armor of Damnation, and Gaze of the Gods. It's the ultimate in violence, but it is pretty expensive (~666 points).

Cartoon
07-04-2008, 02:35
The lord unit sounds good, but unfortunately it wouldn't keep up with the rest of my army and would probably get shot to pieces.

Is an exalted champion a better option than a lord? To me it seems like I may have to few units on the board, but boy do I like the ones I have.

Yehoshua
07-04-2008, 05:27
I feel similarly about running a Lord on foot. I also do think that an Exalted Champ. is a better choice for a fighty character, given the cost.

Of course, I predominantly run lists with an Exalted Sorceror, a Sorceror, a Bray Shaman, and a BSB (something that will probably change come July and the interim Mortals rules in White Dwarf).

Cartoon
07-04-2008, 15:06
Do you take marks in your list Yehoshua? Seems like you could get a powerful magic phase with that line up. Supposedly there will be magic items that allow the armies to mix, I just wonder how much that will cost.

Thanks for all the input, you guys really helped me to an idea for a solid base that I can work off of. Perhaps I will toss in that exalted sorcerer and drop the lord for something else.

Yehoshua
10-04-2008, 01:05
I mark Chosen Knights Slaanesh for the ItP and the Rap.Stand., I mark the BSB Nurgle for fear immunity for my Marauder block and the extra wound, I mark a Nurgle Chariot to allow me to take the BSB (or take Nurglings if I'm facing armies with ST 7+), and I was probably going to try a Tzeentch Beast Lord, but given the infuriating rumors about the new book, I've held off on buying Screamers.

I also mark the Sorceress Slaanesh, and stick her with the knights (if she draws Frenzy or wants to drag a unit around, she's right there, which is handy).

I generally use Beast lore on the Shaman, because it's cheap and effective. I tend to pick lores for my Exalted based on the army I'm facing.