PDA

View Full Version : A very, very, very quick question.

Admiral Samuel Eden
05-04-2008, 09:01
Hey just a really quick question about a rule. Can lords get Veteran Skills? I mean it would make perfect sense. In particular SM lords. So if I was making a list with a lot of infiltrators, could I have a lord infiltrating with the troops? Since I play marines I should really know but I generally don't use the skills so am not sure. It is not clear in the rulebook as it does not state you can but it would make perfect sense for a lord to be able to have a special set of skills that they specialize in after all, they are the most experienced men in your army except maybe the occasional dreadnought.

Sir_Turalyon
05-04-2008, 09:41
If they don't have listed skill nor options to buy a skill, they don't have it. Your fluff argument may be countered by one like they did not became leaders because of their skill in huging cover or hunting tanks, but because of their leadership / psychic skills. In friendly game ask your opponent if he minds if your lord infiltrates.

Corax
05-04-2008, 09:46
A very, very, very quick answer: No

Admiral Samuel Eden
05-04-2008, 09:49
Okay, thought as much. I was expecting this to be the case though in many cases, commanders rise through experience, especially those who command the 10th company within codex chapters. Thanks a lot. You confirmed what I already thought.

Damocles8
05-04-2008, 10:43
I'm hoping that is something they look at when they redo the codex, among other things....

leonmallett
05-04-2008, 10:46
In 4th edition, Independent Characters do have two skills of a sort (Move Through cover and Skilled Rider) don't forget, and certain USR's transfer to them when joining a squad.

Chem-Dog
05-04-2008, 10:51
I'm pretty sure the Marine codex says that Veteran Skills apply to the squad and any attached Character.....

Jimbobjeff
05-04-2008, 11:18
Cant a command squad take infiltrate? if the character is attached to the unit then he should be able to as well.

Eetion
05-04-2008, 11:22
Nope (if you mean chosen)... If i remember right, then if a model without the skill joins the unit then the skill is negated for the unit.

Warboss Jhura Ironfang
05-04-2008, 18:33
Wrong, if a SM command squad takes a Veteran Skill (FC or Inf) that skill will carry over to an attached or leading characters. That's the only way to get an infiltrating Commander (Only Space Wolves and Chaos get Lords).

Thought of the Day: Read the Codex before you post.

Cheerz, Jhura

Kulgur
05-04-2008, 18:40
It is not clear in the rulebook as it does not state you can but it would make perfect sense for a lord to be able to have a special set of skills that they specialize in after all, they are the most experienced men in your army except maybe the occasional dreadnought.

If it does not state you can, you can't. 40k is a permissive ruleset - it tells you what you CAN do rather then what you CAN'T. If we were to go by the "It doesn't say you can't" line of reasoning, it doesn't say anywhere that any game involving me isn't an instant win for me:P