PDA

View Full Version : "Intresting" fact?

malkkis
05-04-2008, 13:05
So, I was reading old uk WD 130 and noticed that the Eldar Warlock w/ Witch Blade haven't changed in 17 years! Can anyone tell me is that the fact and is there some other miniatyres like that?

Penitent
05-04-2008, 13:20
Yeah, some of the Warlocks may be the oldest sculpts in the 40k range.

There have been a few new Warlocks done since then, but they all follow the exact same style. Personally I love the look; the only thing I might ask for in future Warlocks are more dynamic sculpts.

Isambard
05-04-2008, 13:40
I have played a nice little game with the staff at my local GW - find the oldest model on the shelf.

Eldar Warlocks, along with some Empire Elector Count models and some Space Wolf stuff score pretty well.

And I still love the Warlock models :D

malkkis
05-04-2008, 14:10
Yeah, nothing wrong with the sculpt. Seems to be "little" ahead with those old aspect warriors.

Phyros
05-04-2008, 23:33
It is indeed a fact....and back then they came 2 to a blister and cost $5.99.

Slaaneshi Slave
05-04-2008, 23:51
But back then Rhinos were two for a tenner...

Kulgur
06-04-2008, 01:42
Ork wartrakk hasn't changed in 10 years iirc, came out with Gorkamorka

Gensuke626
06-04-2008, 01:59
hmm...old minis? Do they still sell the original Imperial Assassins? I can't recall...

Grots are still Gorka-Morka aged...
The Leman Russ is Old as Dirt, but they've recieved some nice updates with the new IG Tank Sprue...I think the Chimera is in the same boat, along with the tanks based off those 2 Chassis.

Falcon is from late 2nd ed, and the Prism...Vyper and bikes predate that I believe...though I think the current bikes are newer than the Vyper...And warp Spiders are the original sculpts from when they were released...

I think everything else has been replaced in 3rd ed or later...

Jon_Irenicus
06-04-2008, 02:06
The Vyper was released when White Dwarf 207 came out. The Falcon, with WD 215, the same as Gorka Morka (or the next one, I can't recall), and the Fire Prism shortly after. 3rd edition was introduced with White Dwarf 226-7, not sure :p

The Warlocks are old as hell, but they're some damn fine sculpts. Most of the Jes Goodwin stuff is timeless, like the Phoenix Lords. Gotta love the man!

The_Outsider
06-04-2008, 02:17
DE have had no new models since their inception into the game.

Even necrons have had new models over the years (infact they have had 2 ranges).

Jon_Irenicus
06-04-2008, 03:13
True, and very sad indeed. Incubi above all have potential.

Even Wyches, if they lose the American Gladiator style.

Filthy O'Bedlam
06-04-2008, 03:50
hmm...old minis? Do they still sell the original Imperial Assassins? I can't recall...

Yup, they still sell them. Each mini has had a variant figure released since their first release, but you can still buy the originals. Those originals have (Minus the Callidus, which was introduced 3rd Ed I believe) been around for as long as I have played the game which is coming up on a dozen years. They're still great models though.

Cheers, Filthy

squeekenator
06-04-2008, 10:39
Most of the Jes Goodwin stuff is timeless, like the Phoenix Lords. Gotta love the man!

The Phoenix Lords? You mean crazy afro lady, Darth Helmet and fatso skeleton guy? Bleh. Jain Zar in particular looks hilariously stupid.

Isambard
06-04-2008, 11:03
DE have had no new models since their inception into the game.

Even necrons have had new models over the years (in fact they have had 2 ranges).

True, but the first release was only a couple of warriors, a couple of Immortals, a single lord model, a terrible destroyer model and a scarab.

Yet I have still seen a 2000 point army made entirely of original Necron release models!

Jon_Irenicus
06-04-2008, 13:20
The Phoenix Lords? You mean crazy afro lady, Darth Helmet and fatso skeleton guy? Bleh. Jain Zar in particular looks hilariously stupid.

Oh, so the fact that you don't like them makes them bad sculpts?

Plus the fact that they're older than dust, and still look good next to the other Eldar, is another point for them.

The Phazer
06-04-2008, 13:25
I'd have thought they were the oldest current models for 40k. The current Jetbike is older than the Viper, and is probably the second oldest, with the Leman Russ not far off.

Phazer

MaliGn
06-04-2008, 18:49
While not as old as either the Eldar Jetbikes or Warlocks the CSM Special Characters are pretty old (Well the original ones anyway, Abaddon, Ahriman, Kharn and Fabius Bile - incidentally the Chaos Dreadnaught is of the same age) They predate the Vyper, Falcon and Fire Prism.

Also the Ork Buggy model is older than GorkaMorka but mind you so is the Wartrak that got hijacked by GorkaMorka. (see the old Skorcha if you don't believe me)

Older than the Chaos models are the Dark Angel and Blood Angel Characters; Mephiston, Tycho and Dante and Azrael are all old, and I think still current.

Killgore
06-04-2008, 19:11
The warbuggy used to be in metal before they made a plastic version

Jon_Irenicus
06-04-2008, 21:10
As did the ork bikes and the eldar jetbikes. And eldar guardians (with chainmail armour)!

The_Outsider
06-04-2008, 22:04
There are rare versions of shaplain Cassius that has a combi weapon instead of a bolt pistol floating about.

They sculpted the model and put it into production before they realised what the rules say so the incorrect ones were recalled - not before some were sold.

hs5ias
06-04-2008, 23:23
I think the Eldar Warlock may well be the oldest figure still in the current ranges thinking back. The Warlock model dates from 1st edition days. Yes, the old Rogue Trader book era. It was part of the new range of Eldar that was first presented in White Dwarf, and later collected into a compedium book. I have that compedium book up in the loft.

The Eldar sprang forth pretty much fully formed in those articles. The Fall, the mythic cycles, Guardians, Aspects, Avatar, the whole shebang, it was all there. Since then all GW have done is repeat it and add a few new aspects. No real new Eldar background has been added in over 15 years. I have quite a lot of the old models from then too, remnants of an old Eldar army of mine.

The Aspect models have changed down the years, but the original Jes Goodwin sculpts were so good that they have not in my opinion been bettered. They have a delicacy, poise and detail that is hardly to be equaled.

All the other armies have been reworked, often extensively, in their model ranges. For a long time character and HQ models from the 1st and 2ed Space Marine days carried on, but the last few of them have faded out in recent years. The Deathwing Terminators with the feathers carried on for a very long time, considering that they dated I think from 2ed. The old plastic Genestealers also had a long lifespan.

ShaiAhlude
06-04-2008, 23:34
Yeah I also think the warlock model is the oldest currently still used in production.

You can put "rogue trader" in the search for ebay and be amazed what comes up.

Whether that's good amazement or bad amazement is up to you.

brightblade
06-04-2008, 23:52
I love the Warlocks. If it ain't broke don't fix it....
As for those Phoenix Lords they ain't never been right. Uuugleeeeeee..yuk...

Phunting
06-04-2008, 23:56
Yup, they still sell them. Each mini has had a variant figure released since their first release, but you can still buy the originals. Those originals have (Minus the Callidus, which was introduced 3rd Ed I believe) been around for as long as I have played the game which is coming up on a dozen years. They're still great models though.Of course those aren't the original Imperial Assassins though, which were from before the temples.

Penitent
07-04-2008, 01:10
Of course those aren't the original Imperial Assassins though, which were from before the temples.

Yep. The old assassins to whom you could give polymorphine and a vortex grenade and still have wargear left over to make a brutal, over-effective combat monster.

My opponent always hated it when I switched out one of his warp spiders for the assassin.:D

Drongol
07-04-2008, 01:34
The oldest model currently in production is one of the Snotling models, although it's techincally not a 40k model. Aside from that, most of the Eldar range is pretty darned old. At the time of the Wraithlord's reimagining, it was the second-oldest model in production with GW.

Drongol