PDA

View Full Version : The Future of the Game

brettz123
05-04-2008, 17:14
Well every so often I look through Legions of Middle Earth to try and get some hint as to the future of the game and to see what has not been made from that book. It seems, to me at least, that LoME has finally pretty much become obsolete and maybe it is time for a new book like that.

After looking through LoME last night I came up with the following list of stuff that has not literally been made into a miniature:

Elves
---------
Guardians of the Havens
Elf Knight
Elf Ranger
Elf Chariot
Elf War Catapult
Celebrimbor
Galadhrim Knight
Galadhrim Siege Catapult

Rohan
---------
Helm Hammerhand, Foot and Mounted
Helm's Guard, Foot and Mounted
Helm's Guard with Banner

Gondor
---------
Beregond, Mounted
Captain of Minas Tirith, Mounted
Guard of the Fountain Court with Banner
Citadel Guard, Mounted
Forlong the Fat, Mounted

Numenorians
------------
Warrior of Numenor with Banner
Elendil, Mounted
Captain of Numenor, Foot and Mounted

Dunland
----------
Royalblood Chieftain
Wild Man Chieftain
Royalblood Huscarl
Dunland Berserker
Dunlending Horsemen

Mordor (Not counting the stuff from the upcoming release)
----------
Orc Captain on Warg
Orc Tracker on Warg
Werewolf
Black Hearted Tree
Black Numenorian with Banner

Easterlings
-----------
Khamul the Easterling on Fell Beast
Dragon Guard
Easterling Siege Bow

Misc. Other Stuff
-----------------
Quickbeam (Ent)
Beachbone (Ent)
Grimbeorn
Beorning
Landroval (Great Eagle)
Meneldor (Great Eagle)
Corsair Ballista
Cave Drake
Stone Giant

Now arguably a lot of this stuff will probably never get made. I do not really see the Ents or Eagles getting their own models but it would be nice. So I am thinking that the next three supplements will be in no specific order:
Elves
Rohan and Dunland
Last Alliance (ie the 2nd Age)

So what do you guys think and what do you think will come out after these? It seems to me that unless we see miniatures from the Hobbit in year or two there will be almost no reason for new releases.

IronBrother
05-04-2008, 18:08
Elves have been rumoured to be the next release for LoTR after Mordor. I for one can't wait to see the Elf Chariot and Elf Knights. The Numenorean stuff is mostly conversion and I'm afraid that's what it looks like is going to stay, Elendil and the Captain are both conversions in the book, and typically that means that is how they are going to stay. Maybe someday they will release the model and rules for Gildor Inglorian, but we will have to see (model is pictured everywhere, and is named in every appearance).

catsrule23
05-04-2008, 18:21
there is already a model and rules for gildor inglorien, just look in the fellowship journey book.

brettz123
05-04-2008, 19:33
there is already a model and rules for gildor inglorien, just look in the fellowship journey book.

Yes Gildor certainly has a model already. I think it is unfortunate that a lot of the overlooked mounted models will not be produced. Elendil, Forlong the Fat, and Bergond come to mind. These would all be nice models to see mounted that may not be made.

Elves have been rumoured to be the next release for LoTR after Mordor. I for one can't wait to see the Elf Chariot and Elf Knights. The Numenorean stuff is mostly conversion and I'm afraid that's what it looks like is going to stay, Elendil and the Captain are both conversions in the book, and typically that means that is how they are going to stay. Maybe someday they will release the model and rules for Gildor Inglorian, but we will have to see (model is pictured everywhere, and is named in every appearance).

I am wondering what you mean by conversion in the book? I do not believe there are any conversions actually pictured in the books? I could be wrong about this but the Elendil pictured in the book is a miniature though they never made a mounted version (and he is not pictured mounted in the book).

battle captain corpus
05-04-2008, 20:51
There are some conversions in the books, such as the Gondor captain mounted in the core rule book. some of them, like this one are easy, some would be more difficult.
However I'm not sure its redundant yet, maybe its more a caes of the mini range not being as thoroughly supported?.....

IronBrother
06-04-2008, 05:52
Elendil is a conversion and so is the Tribemaster for the Mahud. I am glad to know that Gildor is in the Fellowship book, does anyone know where I could get the model for him though?

brettz123
06-04-2008, 06:30
Elendil is a conversion and so is the Tribemaster for the Mahud. I am glad to know that Gildor is in the Fellowship book, does anyone know where I could get the model for him though?

What Elendil model is a conversion? They did make one though it is out of print. So unless he is on a horse it is not a conversion. And it looks like Gildor is out of print now too. You will have to go on Ebay for them.

clownloach
09-04-2008, 10:34
take lotr rights of GW before they eat it and **** it out.

ive been looking through these forums for a while... and im wondering if anyone will agree with me....

games workshop is beginning to just leech money with lotr.

and is one of the many things starting to tear apart tolkeins work.
they just use his ideas to make their own money, giving it no justice and respect. like sure its cool, but not lotr.
just some of the examples i can think of...
-hill troll unit from the angmar supplement
-the terror of arnor bat demon thing
(like these are really cool well made models, but do not suit lotr)

then there are really cheap poorly deseigned models, like...
-morranon orcs, extremly long legs, small torsos, and one has a Jay Leno face
-watchers of karna from the new harad
-the new sulladan, which is just full of so much junk its hard to picture him even balancing on the horse without falling off after 3 steps

i could go on and on, i should start my own post
(as atm i am discusted by the new mordor supplement)

brettz123
09-04-2008, 16:31
I would say you are one of the minority. Most people seem to be pretty happy with the current release of models.

I am not a big fan of the Morannon Orcs either (well the plastics anyway) but you are paying a dollar a piece so you get what you pay for. The plastics for LOTR in general have been the worst of the range.

As far as adding things that aren't in the tone or mood of LOTR I would disagree. I think everything that has been added has been well thought out and for the most part executed rather well. Now certainly I don't like every sculpt but you will find this in any game. For instance I like the Watchers of Karna but dislike the 1/2 Trolls.

As far as no justice and no respect for Tolkiens work I would very much disagree with you there. They have made the best looking range of LOTR miniatures to date and also one of the most comprehensive and readily available. GW has done more to spread the love of what Tolkien created then any other miniature company. The only other one that even comes close is Mithril and there miniatures are much harder to get and more expensive.

So while GW obviously wants to make money on this you have not provided any evidence that they are "leeching money" out of it. Nice try though :)

SonofUltramar
09-04-2008, 19:25
The other minor point is that GW can come up with all the ideas in the world for LOTR but if the people at Tolkien Enterprises don't sign off they can't do anything so i'm not sure how you Clownloach justify that statement?