PDA

View Full Version : New demon book fluff

Lordsaradain
05-04-2008, 17:39
A terrible thought just occured to me!

As I play chaos both in fantasy and 40k I'm looking forward to getting both new books. But it got me thinking, seeing GW has a tendency to be rather lazy, wouldn't it be pretty likely that they printed the same god-specific fluff in both the new books? :eek:

And that would be horrible, paying 45 euro for two books filled with partly the same texts.

So, what do you think is likely? Does anyone whos seen the new books know? I'd love for someone to confirm that I am wrong in my assumptions wrong.

sigur
05-04-2008, 17:44
I'd bloody well expect them to write partly the same in the army book and the codex. It's the same stuff after all.

Lordsaradain
05-04-2008, 19:42
Yes, so do I. The question is, will they just "copy paste" several pages, or will they rewrite them as appropriate with some different wording etc in each book.

stonehorse
05-04-2008, 19:47
Yes, so do I. The question is, will they just "copy paste" several pages, or will they rewrite them as appropriate with some different wording etc in each book.

Well here is some evidence from their online store.

'Most numerous of Slaanesh's servesants are his Lesser Daemons, the Daemonettes. They are vicious, merciless fighters who attack with astounding speed and grace. This boxed set contains 10 multi-part Daemonettes of Slaanesh, which can be assembled with spears, halberds or swords and includes options for a Champion, Standard Bearer and Musician.'

'Bloodletters are known as the footsoldiers of Khorne, the Warriors of Blood or the Horned Ones. Like the God from which they are born, Bloodletters have only one desire and that is to shed blood on the field of battle. This boxed set contains 10 multi-part Bloodletters of Khorne, which can be assembled with spears, halberds or swords and includes options for a Champion, Standard Bearer and Musician.'

They may have amended the copy and paste mistake, but it does show how happy they are to just copy and paste.

Urgat
05-04-2008, 20:45
about the post above, I don't see how this can be an evidence. There's a world (and different people) between writing some stuff on a webstore, and writing a rulebook.
Anyway, for the OP, well, nobody who does not have seen both book knows, so, maybe, just check in your store before buying, when they will be out?

theunwantedbeing
05-04-2008, 20:50
Only the last sentences of those 2 paragraphs are the same........how is that a copy and paste effort?

stonehorse
05-04-2008, 21:40
Deamons don't fight with Spears, Halberds, or shields. The person who wrote these copied the text from the Empire State troopers entry and pasted it in after typing a short piece about the Deamons.

speedygogo
06-04-2008, 05:52
I just saw both books earlier today. While there are some similarites there are also differences in fluff too. They both look like must buys to me. It is hard however to give an accurate appraisal of a book with just 5 minutes thumbing through it. Rulewise there are so many new things, it will take some serious study to absorb it all.

destroyerlord
06-04-2008, 12:59
It's the same stuff after all.
This isn't strictly true though. Whilst all of the units themselves may be the same, what daemons are is a little bit different in both universes. In 40k daemons are spawned from the warp, and respond most strongly to psychic power and strong emotional imbalance. Daemonhosts can be made, and inquisitors tend to talk to daemons.
In warhammer, lesser daemons are generally an 'aspect' of a greater daemon, and greater daemons are akin to gods. Their power lies in magic rather than the warp, and they become weaker the further from the poles they travel. In 40k when a daemon manifests it tends to be at it's full power regardless of where it is.
It might seem like subtle differences, but they lie in the feel of the different worlds.

SuperBeast
06-04-2008, 16:09
Deamons don't fight with Spears, Halberds, or shields. The person who wrote these copied the text from the Empire State troopers entry and pasted it in after typing a short piece about the Deamons.

Huh?
From the online store (http://uk.games-workshop.com/storefront/store.uk?do=List_Models&code=302083&orignav=13)...
Bloodletters are known as the footsoldiers of Khorne, the Warriors of Blood or the Horned Ones. Like the God from which they are born, Bloodletters have only one desire and that is to shed blood on the field of battle. This boxed set contains 10 multi-part Bloodletters of Khorne and includes options for a Champion, Standard Bearer and Musician.

Most numerous of Slaanesh's servants are his Lesser Daemons, the Daemonettes. They are vicious, merciless fighters who attack with astounding speed and grace. This boxed set contains 10 multi-part Daemonettes of Slaanesh and includes options for a Champion, Standard Bearer and Musician.

No mention of halberds, spears or shields there...

stonehorse
06-04-2008, 16:29
Huh?
From the online store (http://uk.games-workshop.com/storefront/store.uk?do=List_Models&code=302083&orignav=13)...
Bloodletters are known as the footsoldiers of Khorne, the Warriors of Blood or the Horned Ones. Like the God from which they are born, Bloodletters have only one desire and that is to shed blood on the field of battle. This boxed set contains 10 multi-part Bloodletters of Khorne and includes options for a Champion, Standard Bearer and Musician.

Most numerous of Slaanesh's servants are his Lesser Daemons, the Daemonettes. They are vicious, merciless fighters who attack with astounding speed and grace. This boxed set contains 10 multi-part Daemonettes of Slaanesh and includes options for a Champion, Standard Bearer and Musician.

No mention of halberds, spears or shields there...

Well here is some evidence from their online store.

'Most numerous of Slaanesh's servesants are his Lesser Daemons, the Daemonettes. They are vicious, merciless fighters who attack with astounding speed and grace. This boxed set contains 10 multi-part Daemonettes of Slaanesh, which can be assembled with spears, halberds or swords and includes options for a Champion, Standard Bearer and Musician.'

'Bloodletters are known as the footsoldiers of Khorne, the Warriors of Blood or the Horned Ones. Like the God from which they are born, Bloodletters have only one desire and that is to shed blood on the field of battle. This boxed set contains 10 multi-part Bloodletters of Khorne, which can be assembled with spears, halberds or swords and includes options for a Champion, Standard Bearer and Musician.'

They may have amended the copy and paste mistake, but it does show how happy they are to just copy and paste.

Next time please read my entries.

Famder
06-04-2008, 17:47
So in other words you are saying "There may be no evidence for my claims, but obviously GW did this"

stonehorse
06-04-2008, 20:32
No,

What I'm saying is that GW copied and pasted the text from the Empire State Troopers entry on their online site, then added the relevent information about the Deamon unit in question (Slaanesh Deamonettes or Khorne Bloodletters). The person doing this failed to see that they had left the incorrect information in, meaning that it read that the Deamon units in question were wrong. Which they have now changed as I'm guessing they saw the blithering idiotic mistake.

The OP, asked if GW would just copy and paste in what I am guessing was a flippent remark on GW's poor standard of publication... which was I guess meant in jest. Then I used the example shown above twice. Which at the time I thought was funny, but after reading some of the comments the internet commumity have replied with I'm now having second thoughts about that.

I really really hope this clears things up!

Lordsaradain
07-04-2008, 16:59
No problems Stonehorse, I understood perfectly.

GW has some tendency to "copy paste", I just dearly hope they wont write demon fluff for just one book and then copy paste it into the other book too. That'd feel like such a rippoff, buying 2 expensive books, but not being able to enjoy reading both of them as they are filled with the same information. I know the rules will be different, naturally, but the fluff is what makes armybooks fun to read.

Seeing as the new demons are pretty rushed, without getting alot new models, regretably, this does not seem all too far-fetched.