PDA

View Full Version : need help with an orc team

studderigdave
06-04-2008, 01:25
im going to be going to a tourney for blood bowl in about a month, and iv never played a game of blood bowl in my life. this tourney will be my trial by fire. im making on orc team out of WHFB orcs and goblins, and a troll of course.

i have 1,000,000 to build an orc team, any help?

Spoik
06-04-2008, 13:27
Blitzers are your friend. Versatile, hitty and cheap, cheap, cheap! Take four.

Black orcs have that handy strength 4, but don't over-rely on them, as they can be a liability.

Lots of orc players don't bother with a thrower, finding him too squishy, but I like his sure hands skill, and the option of a pass every now and then gives you tactical flexibility.

I personally wouldn't bother with a troll, except for fun, but if you combine him with a goblin, that gives you the option of throwing the goblin for a one-turn TD, so that's worth considering.

As for tactics, grab the ball early, and form a protective cage around the ball carrier and grind your way downfield. Take your time over it. Try and win every game 2-1.

Above all, enjoy it. Orcs are one of the best starting teams, IMO, but they're not as one-dimensional as other bashy teams, so there's lots of fun to be had.

studderigdave
06-04-2008, 14:02
i want to have the treoll in there and at least 2 goblins.

how does this look for a team?

1 thrower
3 linemen
2 goblins
3 blitzers
2 black orcs
1 troll

3 rerollls

EmperorNorton
06-04-2008, 20:17
My preferred starting team is 4 Black Orcs, 4 Blitzers, 2 Linemen a Thrower and three Rerolls.
There are very few teams that can hold their ground against that.

Not a fan of a Troll and Goblins in an Orc team, really. If you are determined to go that route, though, your list doesn't sound bad.

studderigdave
06-04-2008, 20:31
i really want to run all the options to start to see how they run, i realize gobbos are small and weak, and the troll is big, point sinkish and stupid, but my ultimate goal is to start a gobb o team so i need to see how they play, but i want to learn the game with something a lil more user friendly.

thanks for the input.

Darkson
06-04-2008, 22:32
but my ultimate goal is to start a gobb o team so i need to see how they play,
To be brutally honest, playing an Orc team to see how gobbos play is a pointless exercise - they're completely different "animals".
The only think the Orc and Goblin team have in common is that they can both try a Throw Team Mate - other than that they're completely different.
For example, it's much easier to get the ball from te opposition with a Orc team than with goblins, and goblins have a harder time recovering the ball than Orcs do (seeing as Orcs have at least one player with Sure Hands).

To be honest, playing Orcs will teach you very little for playing Goblins.

studderigdave
07-04-2008, 00:28
point taken. i guess i was jumpin the gun a lil. i really just want to learn the ropes of the games with orcs before jumping into gobbos. i was gonna do gobbos first, but everyone told me that i should learn with a more user friendly team.

does anyone see a use in the extra stuff like asst. coaches, cheerleader and stuff like that?

TheLionReturns
07-04-2008, 11:04
I don't have too much to add really that hasn't been covered. Blitzers are your main strength and the thrower is important for that sure hands.

Personally I would just take the one gobbo, not sure you will need more. I am not a fan of the troll either. Despite looking good on paper big guys are normally a liability in my book. However, take one if you want to try one out, but remember throw team mate is more of a last chance risk, or at least highly adventurous play. I have never got it to work. Granted I have worse than average luck with those rolls it would seem but still, there are a lot of rolls to make. Also remember never to rely on them for anything, they'll only disappoint.

Also beware the black orcs. ST 4 looks useful but the lack of block means you can get overconfident in their abilities and end up on the floor at bad times.

I think orcs are a good team to learn with and whilst they wont teach you to play with goblins, using a goblin in an orc team is a start to learning their capabilities. There is just a lot more to learn than an orc team will teach you.

On a final note I don't think your team list has the same significance in bloodbowl than many of the other GW games. It is a very well balanced game and one that rewards good tactics and the ability to take advantage of your opponents misfortune. The point is that whilst I am not a fan of trolls, taking one does not mean you will lose every game you play. As you learn the game you can perform very well with an orc team with a troll in it.

studderigdave
07-04-2008, 15:16
ive changed my team around a bit after consulting some guys at the NAF forum, its gonna go like tis now:

4 blitzer
4 black orc
1 thrower
1 gobbo
1 troll
2 reroll
1 asst coach
1 cheerleader

i get 3 skills and a movement upgrade, im gonna give the MV upgrade to a blitzer to make him a ball handler, then give block to 3 black orcs.

Warsmith Strader
09-04-2008, 18:02
Don't start with assistant coaches and cheerleaders, save those gold for fan factor. As to goblins on Orc teams, cheap cannon fodder catchers, that's what they are good for!

My usual team design-
Thrower
3 or 4 blitzers
2 black orcs
5 lineman
2 goblins

I've find Trolls a liability...

Tennboy
09-04-2008, 19:26
I think he is playing in a LRB5 Tourney, so keep the cheerleaders and assistant coaches.

studderigdave
10-04-2008, 00:10
yeah, the tourney im going to is LRB5.

Darkson
10-04-2008, 14:10
i get 3 skills and a movement upgrade, im gonna give the MV upgrade to a blitzer to make him a ball handler, then give block to 3 black orcs.

I'd forego Block on one BOB and take Leader on the thrower - 2 rerolls is (probably) not enough.

Tennboy
10-04-2008, 18:14
Hey, does the tourney offer advancement packages or just the 3 skills and +MV? I just never saw a Stat bump worth sacrificing more skills for other players.

Da Reddaneks
28-04-2008, 18:55
My preferred starting team is 4 Black Orcs, 4 Blitzers, 2 Linemen a Thrower and three Rerolls.
I am starting a ork BB team as well and am at a bit of a loss as to where to start. So i am looting that list.