PDA

View Full Version : Stupidity and Flyers

Evil-Lite
06-04-2008, 07:40
Just wondering if you fail a stupidity check and have the fly ability which movement is used to determine the half movement: ground or fly?

T10
06-04-2008, 10:14
I assume that they use their ground move since that is the most stupid option.

-T10

Famder
06-04-2008, 17:12
As per the description of the stupid move, they lurch forward, which means they aren't flying. Half movement refers to their movement characteristic.

Spirit
06-04-2008, 18:21
So a stupid flying unit cannot fly if it fails its ld test?

Im not going to like the new slannesh list... Fell bats are gonna get mauled.

SuperBeast
06-04-2008, 19:29
That's ok. Ld tests are one of those interesting "doesn't feel right" little cracks in the rules that undead fall into.
I view it as Karma for a fear-causing army.

I'm FAR more concerned about the "take a Ld test or suffer D6 more hits;repeat" magic missile... Eep!

By the way, does anyone else think we are imminently going to be seeing the start of the "ZOMG OVARPOWARD" threads on the new daemons? I'm bored of the "lulz they will sux" ones...

GodHead
06-04-2008, 19:53
Don't forget they'll go in a random direction too!

WLBjork
06-04-2008, 21:00
Whilst I would agree that they shouldn't fly, there is nothing in the rules that prevents them from flying.

The unit is moved directly forwards at half speed during the compulsory moves part of the movement phase...

The example given is of a unit of Trolls, which isn't particularly helpul as they cannot Fly.

xragg
07-04-2008, 05:26
Stupidity states that models move at half their normal move rate. Flying is described as a model's normal move in the flying section. No where in the flying section does it prevent a flyer from using flight other then to enter an area that prohibits flying like a wood. The last sentence actually allows the player to always choose which method of transit to use. "A flyer may choose to fly or move along the ground, but cannot do both in the same move." Stupidity prevents a model from voluntarily declaring charges, shooting, and casting spells; it does not prevent flying.

I would say a flyer has the option to move 10" flying or opt to move half its walk when it rolls for stupidity. Skirmishers move in a random direction when stupid, so a flying skirmisher could move 10" flying in a random direction.

DeathlessDraich
07-04-2008, 10:42
Initially I thought there were 3 ways of intepreting this but it seems xragg and Bjork have interpreted correctly.

After reading the flying rules, it seems that a flying model subjected to Stupidity simply halves its normal movement rate with forward movement only - pg 32.
Stupidity does not restrict other unmentioned choices

1) The flyer still has the choice of flying or moving on the ground
2) Half the normal flying speed is 10" - pg 68
3) The flyer still has a choice of flying over interposing enemy units or charging them - pg 68 [unless Frenzied but that is another debate]

Atrahasis
07-04-2008, 12:40
What would then happen if a flyer found itself in a wood after flying in a random direction?

T10
07-04-2008, 12:53
You would experience an unrecoverable error and the game would crash. You would need to restore from last successful armour save.

-T10

Shamfrit
07-04-2008, 13:11
You would experience an unrecoverable error and the game would crash. You would need to restore from last successful armour save.

-T10

The likelihood of anyone actually remembering when this was (as our group seems to delete it's prior turn memory instantly...which is annoying, especially when we forget compulsory actions and reforms etc.)

--

I think the rules have been interpreted incorrectly here. If the intent was for flying creatures to be able to still fly whilst rendered stupid, it would say so under Stupidity, 'base movement' (which it does, in the Troll and Skink examples) and 'flying movement', given by an ability, makes me think the flyer moves at half it's ground speed. If it's too stupid to move coherently and listen to it's rider (if there is one) what makes you think it's going to know how to fly, even in a random direction?

Not to mention, if you could fly when stupid, the movement statistics of flyers would be 20", not whatever their profile says.

I work this out from the trigger/state principle that Magic and the like love so much - but, until someone gets a Faqs, it's down to your group/store.

Atrahasis
07-04-2008, 13:29
Even stupid people can walk, so it makes sense that stupid flying creatures can fly. It's instinctual, not based on intelligence.

xragg
07-04-2008, 16:24
What would then happen if a flyer found itself in a wood after flying in a random direction?

Compulsory movement ignores terrain hinderances (except impassable).

Masque
07-04-2008, 16:29

What, exactly, leads you to believe that?

xragg
07-04-2008, 17:09
Every compulsorary movement I can think of ignores terrain penalties, but I suppose that isnt a rule directly given to compulsorary movement itself. That being said, I guess the flyers would stop at the edge of the woods as that is impassable terrain if they are flying (if they couldnt get all the way across it).

Porksta
07-04-2008, 17:16

Fanatics don't ignore it. I don't know if pump wagons do either.

xragg
07-04-2008, 17:21
Fanatics are single models and do ignore the movement penalties, but sadly they never get to use it as they die when they touch terrain.

Yet, there are many models that move like this and I am sure something out there doesnt, which is why I refrained from my original statement, which was from personal experince rather then reading a said rule for it.