PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else miss the artwork?

Sephtar II
06-04-2008, 11:40
I walked into a GW recently and took a look at the High elf section and I saw a bow of sliver helms with the old artwork and a newer box with the photoshopped models.

Now I think that the photoshop looks good on 40k boxes with the energy weapons and laser doo-dads, and it makes sense that by actualy putting pictures of the models on the front of the box make it easeier for new customers to see whats in the box but by gum I liked the artwork.

I find that the photoshop stuff dosent work so well on the new boxes the silver helms are a good example they had a fnatastic picture, now they look a little... dull.

Dose anyone else feel this way? wish that there was still good old fashioned artwork on boxes?

destroyerlord
06-04-2008, 12:36
I agree, I always liked the artwork on the boxes, it made them much more appealing. You have to think about it though, it is probably much cheaper to commission a photoshop image than a painting for every new box that is released, and having more pics of the actual product helps people new to the game or to that army with unit selection and even painting ideas.
Its just one of those things I guess....

tortoise
06-04-2008, 12:59
I certainly preferred the artwork. GWs photoshopped images with their silly explosions etc look absolutely awful and very amateurish.

scarletsquig
06-04-2008, 15:21
Artwork, by far.

Photoshopped images don't look too bad, but they're nowhere near as good as the paintings, which used to scream "quality product" at you.

It's probably a cost-cutting decision by the GW bean counters, and a petty one at that. There was an old white dwarf that mentioned how the box art pieces were all done over a 2-week time period. That's 20 boxes a year by one artist, enough to give nice artwork to every new plastic kit that comes out.

Looks like they fired their talented artist and replaced him with a minimum wage photoshop monkey instead. Wouldn't suprise me if this one photoshop monkey also makes the entirety of white dwarf every month. :p

bomblu
06-04-2008, 15:28
i agree with all of you
in fact the art work was one of those things that got me into the hobby

i now thank God didn't discard the boxes of my models - they truly are works of art

i think if they keep the photoshop and put it on the back of the box instead of a simple photo it will look much nicer - along with the artwork

(dream) when i'll go work with GW i'll change this new policy :P

Andrea

Sabbad
06-04-2008, 15:28
I too preferred the artwork.

Lordsaradain
06-04-2008, 18:54
I REALLY miss the artwork. It was alot more inspiring.

stonehorse
06-04-2008, 21:23
It isn't just the box artworks that is missing, but for once I'd like to see GW produce a full colour rulebook, along with full colour army books/codexs.

Most if not all of the smaller companies in the TTG market produce their books in full colour, and it does make a big difference in quality. Black & White artwork just looks cheap and outdated.

FurryMiguell
06-04-2008, 21:37
aye, me and friends discus it all the time. I loved the artwork on the boxes. When I go to store these days, I try to seek out the older boxes just to get it;). I think the newer ones gives the hobby a totally difrent feel. cant really put my finger on it...

Cheers:D

Sil
06-04-2008, 21:49
I loved the artwork. Failing that, the boxes that represented the models as they are without the fake laser beams, etc were respectable as well.

With the new box, its much harder to convince oneself that the product isn't really a toy...