PDA

View Full Version : 1st fantasy army - bret. 1000

Mkstein
06-04-2008, 14:10
Hi.

This is my first fantasy army ever so I've really no idea of what looks good on paper but isn't etc... so some of these ideas may seem a bit odd. It's a bretonnian 1000 points list. I've been told by staff at my FLGS that in 2000 points 4 units of Knights of the realm and 1 of Grail knights is the best list, possible so this is an attempt at a scaled down version.

Heroes:
Paladin - [BSB], Knights vow, Lance, Shield, Barded warhorse, Virtue of Duty - 110
Paladin - [Gen], Grail Vow, Barded Warhorse, Virtue of KNightly Temper, Shield, Gauntlet of the DUel - 147

Core:
Knights of the Realm - 8 Knights, Gallant, Musician, Banner of Chalons -225
Knights of the Realm - 8 Knights, Gallant, Musician, Standard -231
Men at arms - 10 men, Standard, Musician -65

Rare:
Grail Knights - 5 Grail Knights, Musician, Standard Bearer - 220

Total: 998

The idea is the 1st knights hunt ranged units, the BSB joins the 2nd and charges around whilst the Grail; knights hurt tough stuff. The men at arms are just an expendable unit.

Cheers

Treadhead_1st
06-04-2008, 14:19
I'm by no means an experienced Bret player, but I'll see what I can do:

The M@A are going to be rather useless at 10. You have to take at least 20, or none (especially as they'll be the only thing afoot).

Try to bump the KotR up to 9 strong, to gt the full benefit of a 3x3 Lance formation.
To get the points to do this, I'd drop a couple of Grail Knights. It's not essential, and I sometimes run 8-strong in my armies, but 9 is the most efficient.

You could also look into fielding the KotR in units of 6 to free up more points.

Try to work in a Damsel. They won't give you any magic power, but even at 1K you'll need some magic defence (so Level 1, 2x Scroll). A good idea would be to mount her [on a warhorse!] and put her in with the Grail Knights - the Knights will protect her easily (each Knight can challenge as a champion) and she will provide MR1 to the unit, helping them stick around.

Hopefully this was of some help.

Cortomaltese
06-04-2008, 18:37
i think the knights unit are good as they are now: heroes might join the units, making them 3x3 lances, right?!
so u can drop the grail vow on general and fit him in the first unit..
maybe what do u think swapping the M@A with 10 bowmen?! they can still be used as expendable unit, but in some games can add you with some shoots..
of course absolutely drop the standard on that unit! too much easy points for opponents!

IMO at only 1k points magic banners are a wast of points: if u like "chalons" keep it, otherwise use the points to take a model in an unit..
about magic it depends on you opponents.. at 1k usually u have to fear only magic missiles or movement spells.. both are not a problem with you army: good TA and TS, and great mobility can solve that problem!
sure u will have to add one or 2 damsels expanding the army to 2k and more..

Lantern
06-04-2008, 19:46
I am in agreement with Cortomaltese,mages ar not needed here and the men at arms need more bodies or to be removed, but I do think the Banner of Chalons is worth keeping as at 1000pts, most armies you fight will either be all shooting or all close combat (few armies can successfully do both at this scale). The lances of knights should be more than enough to see ofmost opponents, so I dont think you really need the Grail Knights at this point (although I would keep the BSB and General as Grail Knights, as you might need to injure ethereal opponents and besides - its embaressing if your general runs away). I would take the points from the Grail Knights and the Men at Arms and invest in some archers and a trebuchet, which would give you a very balanced list, capable of taking on most opponents in one way or another.

Mkstein
06-04-2008, 20:33
Cheers guys

Cormalese got it right there - I was intending to add my BSB to one of the knights in order to get 3x3. If I swop out the M@A for some peasent bowmen should they be as skirmishers or stakers? I don't really intend to keep a line in defence, more so just attack my knights forward.
The banner wouldn't get the opponent any VPs though; the peasents duty would keep that fine, but if they were bowmen then a combat resolution boost is a waste - if they're in CC then somethings wrong! If I dropped the Grails, added more KoTR and added some bowmen and a damsel would that work? I don't really want a shooty Bretonnian army, so I'm steering clear of trebuchets. What kind of Ethereal opponents would I encounter in 1000 points d'you think?

Cheers once again guys

Lantern
06-04-2008, 21:48
Well, with the fervour around the Vampire Counts, you could run into some Ghosts, or even a Vampire with ethereal (theres a magic item which grants them this). Also, as Grail Knight, all of your attacks count as magical, meaning Dryads and, I assume still, Deamons(books not out yet) would not get thier ward save either, and those will be common enough that having one or two characters able to take them out or swaing a combat in your favour would be handy.
As for not wanting a shooty army, this says to me you want a close combat army. If you do, then Men-At-Arms are not really needed in place of knights (I use my Men-At-Arms units to protect flanks of war machines and archers,of which you have niether). If you dont want archers though, perhaps some skirmishing archers or Mounted Yeomen would be better suited to you, allowing you to flush the enemy out of cover and to bait fast-ish and expendable units that wont cause panic among your knights when you flee (also, mounted yeoman can march and shoot, so they are good for harrassing your enemies light infantry, light cavalry and war machines).

Cortomaltese
08-04-2008, 00:58
The banner wouldn't get the opponent any VPs though; the peasents duty would keep that fine, but if they were bowmen then a combat resolution boost is a waste - if they're in CC then somethings wrong!
Cheers once again guys

damn'it!! i always forget about the paesant duty rule!! sorry guys!
"go and die, citizens!! go and diiieeee!!!" :evilgrin: :rolleyes:

Mkstein
09-04-2008, 21:12
OKay then. Here it is as a new and IMPROVED list.

Heroes:
Paladin - [BSB], Knights vow, Lance, Shield, Barded warhorse, Virtue of Duty - 110
Paladin - [Gen], Grail Vow, Barded Warhorse, Virtue of Noble Disdain, Shield, - 93
Damsel - Lvl1, Warhorse, Dispel Scroll -105

Core:
8 KoTR - Musician, Standard -216
8 KoTR - Musician, Standard - 26

Rare:
Grail Knights - Standard - 260

Total: 1000

C&C? The idea is all the Charaters join units and then charge. Damsel is purely dispelling.