PDA

View Full Version : Land Speeders: Emporer's Blessing Or Worst Nightmare

knighthawke70
06-04-2008, 15:34
i have a BT army and i want to expand it. I have been thinking about land speeders but i am debating. i have seen all 3 types in action good and bad. a friend of mine calls them clay pigeons. they get pulled out, then they get shot down. however, i am projecting to have 3 with multi-meltas and assault cannons. i have never played with these before. does anyone have any tips or advice?

Brother_Chaplian Raimo
06-04-2008, 15:42
The landspeeder requires moderate skill, and tactical finesse to use, but, in the right hands, is devastating. The real key is keeping them out of small-arms range, and target priority. Oh, btw, A. Cannon and Multimelta is illegal.

Grimtuff
06-04-2008, 15:43
Oh, btw, A. Cannon and Multimelta is illegal.

To expand on this a little....

To everyone except DA and BA. ;)

knighthawke70
06-04-2008, 16:01
The landspeeder requires moderate skill, and tactical finesse to use, but, in the right hands, is devastating. The real key is keeping them out of small-arms range, and target priority. Oh, btw, A. Cannon and Multimelta is illegal.

maybe that is why my list keeps turning up red. as carlos mencia would say DEE! DEE! DEE! so you would suggest AC and HB. any other suggestions? BTW thanks.

Sergeant Uriel Ventris
06-04-2008, 16:01

He hit the nail on the head here.

Anywho, if you're not trying to use your Landspeeders like flying tanks, they can be a great addition to your army. Think of them instead as flying Heavy Weapons teams, a la Imperial Guard. They can blast across the table for some last turn objective grabbing, or help support other units, as long as they are not exposing themselves to fire. A slight breeze will often knock these guys out of the air, figuritively and literally, and if you load them up with weapons they become juicy targets. I guess I'm saying they are pretty great, just don't put them in squadrons, don't pretend they are tanks, and don't be surprised if they get blown up.

Kaenei
06-04-2008, 16:33
I've never used them during SHOCK and AWE. Or Nid-rush-style SM tactics.

Altashheth
06-04-2008, 16:52
the typhoon is a great little vehicle, it can utilise speed and range to stay out of small arms fire range whilst whittling down inf squads.....no one wants to waste a lascannon shot on them when there are other heavier targets around either....

Feor
06-04-2008, 16:56
AC is a waste on a standard Landspeeder. Yes, you can hose a squad with them, but that squad can then shoot you down with bolters, and you will be in bolter range. :p

I've been using the Typhoon with my White Scars, and though it suffers some attention it wouldn't otherwise get being the only vehicle in my army, its done quite well for itself. Staying out of range of most weapons that can shoot it down, while racking up a nice tally of dead infantry.

Serpent
06-04-2008, 17:49
In my opinion, I hate facing Land Speeders. They are very good at zipping round, shooting at vulnerable units. If they're caught out in the open, they'll die, but most players have the brains to shield them from most of the enemy fire.

And they're good objective grabbers...

Johnnyfrej
06-04-2008, 17:57
As a Guard player the one problem I have with Space Marines isn't their 3up save, it isn't their Land Raiders and sure isn't their bolters, it's their Land Speeders. Nothing is more annoying then having to choose between firing at an advancing Marine squad with all my Guardsmen squad's weapons or choosing to fire just the heavy bolter at a team of Typhoon LS that are fire supporting the Marines. Not only that, but if my opponent wants to send 3 Land Speeders w/ Assault Cannons within 24'' of my Guardsmen their isn't much I can do except use just my special/heavy weapons on them. That's the problem with lasguns. One of the best reason's that I use my Multi-laser Sentinels is for Speeder hunting.

Private Jon

Kalec
06-04-2008, 19:09
Land Speeders are good fun. I prefer the MM/HF variety, since it cooks devilfish and the fire warriors hiding behind it, and MM LST's tend to draw a lot of fire that isn't being aimed at my rhinos and assault squads.

They really need to be used in groups, so that they actually do something before getting shot down.

If the 5th ed rumors of defensive weapons being s4 or lower, the LST is pretty much useless, so keep that in mind before you buy some.

Admiral Samuel Eden
06-04-2008, 19:58
To be really picky there are four types of land speeder but thats irrelevant.
I think they're great. You can do wonders with them and the are really effective either tank hunters or infantry hoses. Either way their useful. Just don't put them in the line of fire because they are made of tin foil and cardboard and will break apart if someone lobs a pebble at them.

Damocles8
06-04-2008, 20:38
don't forget you can mix and match the variants within the squadron, so an AS/HB tornado, a HF/MM, and the missile variant make a nice rounded unit....

Xenobane
06-04-2008, 21:18
As a Guard player the one problem I have with Space Marines isn't their 3up save, it isn't their Land Raiders and sure isn't their bolters, it's their Land Speeders. Nothing is more annoying then having to choose between firing at an advancing Marine squad with all my Guardsmen squad's weapons or choosing to fire just the heavy bolter at a team of Typhoon LS that are fire supporting the Marines. Not only that, but if my opponent wants to send 3 Land Speeders w/ Assault Cannons within 24'' of my Guardsmen their isn't much I can do except use just my special/heavy weapons on them. That's the problem with lasguns. One of the best reason's that I use my Multi-laser Sentinels is for Speeder hunting.

Private Jon

Amen to that.

They're even a significant threat to AV14 tanks, used well.

njfed
06-04-2008, 21:18
Land Speeders are the bane of my existence. I have lost so many battles because of them. Not because they actually do anything during the match...they just hide until turn 6 to claim objectives.

EmperorEternalXIX
06-04-2008, 22:27
I dunno. As an SM player I kind of dislike them. I mean...they are great...but I find a bike squad can carry more weapons and absorb more fire, keeping pressure off the rest of my army while eating a juicy target or two. You comparably get 2-3 speeders, and yes they are really mobile and carry some juicy guns...but every shot that glances them is going to at least stun them, and they get glanced a lot...

PondaNagura
06-04-2008, 23:08
i run a 2x tornado squad with HB and AC, and a single typhoon in my 1500 point marine list. i keep typhoon on table and deepstrike tornados for hunting infantry squads or exposed vehicle backsides. plus if you keep 'em moving they live longer with the skimmer/glancing hit rule.

centy
07-04-2008, 02:35
i use 2 mm ac speeders and have found that it you can get them on a flank and just in range of one squad at a time they are awesome. all weapons have the same range and are great for killing anything. sometimes they do get wasted fast, but not often. my combination does well against troops and tanks all in one.
I have fought against a 9x mb ac landspeeder army and it was rude. he was killing so much it was not funny. needless to say he got hammered on comp in that tourney.

Honestly it was the worst army i have face EVER.