PDA

View Full Version : Chaos knights

Nightsword
06-04-2008, 18:02
I'm looking at doing an Archaon's horde army but I'm stuck on my knights decision. One units of 5 chosen knights costs 275 and one units of 5 khornate knights costs 210 w/ full commands. Archaon will be in the army so I have to take the undivided chosen knights but should i combine my two units of five (which cost me 485pts) and have one unit of 10 knights for Archaon to join which cost me 500pts with a full command?

snyggejygge
06-04-2008, 18:09
Have 2 different, but I advice against using Archaon, no fun for either you or your opponent...

GMMStudios
06-04-2008, 18:10
I don't play Chaos but paying something of 200 points for an extra rank makes no sense to me. Just get a war banner. If you are worried about casualties make them six wide.

Nightsword
06-04-2008, 18:57
Sound advice. Cheers.

Rubicon
06-04-2008, 21:18
6 wide or 5 wide with a character is a great unit that is probably going to break most units on the charge regardless of the +1 for a war banner or rank for that matter. Chosen Undivided Knights > Normal Khornate Knights because Frenzy is a major disadvantage against a competent player, but 2 units of Knights, regardless of mark, are better than one big unit. YOu pays your points, you takes your choice!

TheDudeGuyMan
06-04-2008, 22:25
I don't think you should play Archaon's horde. Storm of Chaos was a terrible expansion, IMO with tons of gimicky lists and game breaking lameness. I know that's not what this is about, but I just feel very strongly on the issue :)

brassangel
06-04-2008, 23:23
I keep hearing that the new Blood Knights put Chosen Chaos Knights to shame. I haven't played the matchup, but just throwing that out there. Vampire Counts seem popular right now, so finding a good way to combat those monstrosities would be good.

Avaron
07-04-2008, 04:18
Storm of chaos was kinda lame but the archeons horde list..especialy when played as a normal list is alot like what I expect chaos mortals to look like in a few months.

with mabye one or two more new units.

Putty
07-04-2008, 04:44
basically, don't play chaos until the new book is released. LoL

i have played archaon with a Swords of Chaos entourage, if they survived the bouts of shooting and manage to charge the opponent, they can cleave through most things.

but because of combat resolution and the chance of the unit getting multiple reaction charges in return, there is a good chance this unit will break.

800 points for a character like Archaon isn't worth it IMHO, your better off investing in more units and a much cheaper exhalted champion.

JayMack
07-04-2008, 04:47
I keep hearing that the new Blood Knights put Chosen Chaos Knights to shame. I haven't played the matchup, but just throwing that out there. Vampire Counts seem popular right now, so finding a good way to combat those monstrosities would be good.

Don't see how that is, chosen are cheaper, have better armour save and higher initiative (pending one doesn't break the other in combat.) But alas, whoever gets the charge should easily eat the other unit. :)

Yehoshua
07-04-2008, 05:23
BK get lances (total BS) as well as frenzy for free, that's the big deal. If I happened to Frenzy my Chosen and they got the charge on the BK, I'd be alright. Unfortunately, that's not a guaranteed proposition.

Donga666
07-04-2008, 21:02
BK get lances (total BS) as well as frenzy for free, that's the big deal. If I happened to Frenzy my Chosen and they got the charge on the BK, I'd be alright. Unfortunately, that's not a guaranteed proposition.

Remember Frenzy is a two edged sword, sadly my chaos hord has been retired (Ebayed). I would have loved to face blood-knights with my undivided chosen knights. I'd have em chasing warhounds and marauder horsemen untill I flanked them.

Chosen Knights are an excellent allround hammer regiment. Khornate knights are a difficult regiment to use to their best potential.

BTW Archaon, great model, not worth spending the points on.

The Red Scourge
08-04-2008, 05:44
2 Units of knights - and no doubt about it.

Don't waste Archaon in a unit. He can do fine all by himself (his mount is ********* though), so if you're gonna do use the man, just let him shine. But he sadly isn't much fun though.

Go with some marauder horsemen and hounds for flanks and screening, you have one mean army of cavalry.

– and if you find the points add in the Hellcannon. It's a quite literally a blast ;)

The Red Scourge
08-04-2008, 14:47
Don't see how that is, chosen are cheaper, have better armour save and higher initiative (pending one doesn't break the other in combat.) But alas, whoever gets the charge should easily eat the other unit. :)

Compare them to chosen Khorne Knights. in a unit of 5, they're 54 pts a piece compared to the 55 pts of a Blood Knight.

They both have S5 A3, yet the blood knight have all the blessings of being undead vampires, can be raised, have access to some formidable items and upgrades, and then of course come equipped with lances and all that for 1 pt. :wtf:

So we'll probably see the CKs reduced in price till november and then we'll just have to buy extra models ;)

Yehoshua
08-04-2008, 21:43
And don't forget that BK's horses get two attacks, while Khorne horses only get one. Five extra WS 3 ST 4 attacks are nothing to sneer at.

The Red Scourge
09-04-2008, 05:37
And don't forget that BK's horses get two attacks, while Khorne horses only get one. Five extra WS 3 ST 4 attacks are nothing to sneer at.

Yeah! The Khorne guys really got snubbed on the frenzy thing all the negative things, but only half the bonuses :rolleyes:

JayMack
09-04-2008, 05:53
How do the nightmares get frenzy?

Lordmonkey
09-04-2008, 07:33
How do the nightmares get frenzy?

under the 7th edition rules, Frenzy applies all 'models' within the unit. In cavalry, since rider and mount are classified as a single 'model', nightmares also gain frenzy. The Mark of Khorne, IIRC, specified that the frenzy only applies to the rider.

As an aside, that Empire dude that grants hatred to all units within 12" would therefore grant hatred to Empire Knights' mounts aswell.

"Neeeiirrrghh!! Killll themmm alll!"

Funniest image ever. :D

Yehoshua
09-04-2008, 07:56
Yah, one of the guys in our store is running Inner Circle with the WP...actually, I brought it up to him.

I love walking over and reminding him that his horses also hate Salamanders; perhaps more than his Knights do.