PDA

View Full Version : Just how different is the Renegades Army list in IA5 from a normal IG list?

IG_Airborne_Ranger
06-04-2008, 19:31
I have not been paying much attention to 40K happenings in a while so forgive me if this has been discussed before. Is the Renegade Army list in Imperial Armor 5 unique in any way from an typical Imperial Guard list? Or is it just a bunch of doctrines that you can already find in the current IG codex?

Soupcat
06-04-2008, 19:52
Its similar to IG in many ways but alot of the units have a chaos-y twist (ie Combat drugs on ogryns, perils of the warp is welcome on the rouge psykers, having access to some alpha legion CSM)

TheOneWithNoName
06-04-2008, 19:56
They also have random leadership values, which can be annoying at times.

Trickle
06-04-2008, 19:58
The thing I notice when scanning though it was the random leadership. Which surely must suck utterly?

catbarf
06-04-2008, 20:59
A big change is the ability to take shotguns and LP+CCW on basic troops.

Perfect Organism
06-04-2008, 21:35
Most units have D6+4 leadership, determined when the unit takes it's first Ld test of the game. This includes officers (or 'champions' as they are called in the renegade list).

Wargear lets you take sniper rifles but not storm bolters. Any champion can take a power weapon or power fist and both 'officers' and 'veteran sergeants' are champions. The 'veteran sergeant' champions don't increase a unit's Ld value though, making them rather poor choices.

Virtually everyone in the army can swap their lasgun for a laspistol and CCW or a shotgun. Also, heavy weapons teams can get heavy stubbers (I can tell you're impressed).

The command platoon is no longer compulsory. You can have an army led by rogue psykers if you want. Rogue Psykers are a little better than their imperial equivalents, but don't get force weapons.

Disciples of Xaphan are like veterans but even better, because they get +1 Ld, and aren't restricted to 0-1. They don't have random Ld.

Ogryn bezerkers are quite different to normal ogryns, except for the fact that they are still overpriced and ineffective.

There is no equivalent to stormtroopers but you can take a single squad of Chaos Marine Chosen.

Workers rabble are like conscripts, but have worse armour and their special weapons are priced the same as normal militia squads'.

Armoured Fist squads always start in reserve.

Some of the Forge World vehicles are in the list, like Salamanders and various Leman Russ variants.

There are no Rough Rider equivalents.

You can take gun platforms, sentry guns, gun-turrets and minefields as heavy support.

boogle
07-04-2008, 13:33
In addition, you can take Arkos the Faithless as a Special Character, which lifts the 0-1 restriction on the Alpha Legion squads.

Trickle - you sound like my sister's work partner, who when seeing the list, said 'random leadership sucks', without ever playing a game with them, up until last week, i had a renegade army, and never found that the renegades sucked at all, their random leadership never bothered me, and i would have 5 Enforcers in the army, so if it did go all wrong, they just shoot the officer and get LD10 for their trouble, max out your elites on Ogryns/Disciples/Alpha Legion, and you don't have to worry too much about LD.

Perfect Organism - Never had too much trouble with my Ogryns.

Warp Zero
07-04-2008, 13:51
I was wondering, do vox-casters help to create any type of safety back-up on leadership issues? I haven't played regular or renegade guard so, I'm not sure how they work exactly. Or does it only help if the command squad had earlier tested, failed, an enforcer shot the commander, and is now leading it?

TheOneWithNoName
07-04-2008, 14:24
i would have 5 Enforcers

Can anyone say points sink?

As for the list, demo charges are also in the armoury, so you could arm your guys with demo charges, making for some nasty surprises for the enemy.

I was wondering, do vox-casters help to create any type of safety back-up on leadership issues? I haven't played regular or renegade guard so, I'm not sure how they work exactly. Or does it only help if the command squad had earlier tested, failed, an enforcer shot the commander, and is now leading it?

Not a reliable one if you're counting on good leadership on the command squad or for an Enforcer to execute your champion for that Ld 10. You could end up with a Ld5 command squad and Ld10 line squads.

Chaos and Evil
07-04-2008, 14:38
Random leadership doesn't suck because leadership is the least important stat in 40k.

boogle
07-04-2008, 15:04
Can anyone say points sink?

As for the list, demo charges are also in the armoury, so you could arm your guys with demo charges, making for some nasty surprises for the enemy.

Not a reliable one if you're counting on good leadership on the command squad or for an Enforcer to execute your champion for that Ld 10. You could end up with a Ld5 command squad and Ld10 line squads.

When your army was built for Apocalypse, 5 Enforcers isn't nearly enough

I only took voxes on those squads that were going to operate outside of the Command Squad's sphere of influence, the rest i relied on their leadership come what may

MegaPope
07-04-2008, 19:36
Even compared to the regular IG list, the Renegade Guard is an infantry-heavy meatsack swarm army that works best on the defensive - hardly suprising given the campaign it was designed for!

Random Ld for me was just a chance to not bother spending points on a vox net like I usually do. You really want to capitalise on numbers with this army.

I didn't bother taking a CSM squad - it's not really all that worth it unless you take Arkos and themee your army heavily around the Alpha Legion saboteurs. One CSM squad is just a high-value target that your enemy will delight in picking off for bigger VP.

I based my own force around three big platoons and two squads of Disciples - 15 infantry squads in total. About half of these are 'support' squads and have a heavy weapon, plus some of the sergeants have sniper rifles - the rest pack one special weapon and a veteran with a Demo-Charge, and the two Disciple units are basically enlarged special weapon teams backed up by Chimera. There's also a full-strength Commad Platoon, and a squad of Ogryn for heavy assault, backed up by a 25-strong Workers' Rabble to choke enemy assault units. They have a few artillery pieces, a LR and a Hellhound for armoured backup, in addition to the Chimeras, and a Baneblade for special occasions.

It's not a subtle army, and relies on the kind of human wave assault you'd expect of fanatical but poorly-trained cultists. Definitely the kind of army where you have to be even more heedless of casualties than normal for IG!

Trickle
07-04-2008, 22:17
Trickle - you sound like my sister's work partner, who when seeing the list, said 'random leadership sucks', without ever playing a game with them, up until last week, i had a renegade army, and never found that the renegades sucked at all, their random leadership never bothered me, and i would have 5 Enforcers in the army, so if it did go all wrong, they just shoot the officer and get LD10 for their trouble....

Never once played against it. Hence why I put a question mark after my post :)

I dont see a lot of commissar use in guard armies so not being a guard player myself never thought about enforcers. Edit: and as someone who regularly rolls 9s and 10s on leadership tests, my Eldar regularly have a habit of running away. Imho leadership in 40K would be a lot more of a worry if, like this renegade list, armies didnt have ways of getting up to 10 so easily.

Angelus Mortis
07-04-2008, 22:50
They also have random leadership values, which can be annoying at times.
Especially when your Exalted Champion rolls a Ld 5. :evilgrin:

Lord Cook
07-04-2008, 22:59
Worker rabble have 2 attacks base (laspistol+ccw) which makes them infinitely superior to conscripts, even if they do only have a 6+ save. Wow, now both units can still not get to make saves against bolters, flamers, and every other freaking weapon out there.

Angelus Mortis
08-04-2008, 00:28
Wow, now both units can still not get to make saves against bolters, flamers, and every other freaking weapon out there.

And they cant save vs. nerf footballs either! :p

Captin Korea!
08-04-2008, 00:44
And they cant save vs. nerf footballs either! :p

Quoted for truth. If you get a 6+ save, chances are you wont pass it.

As for the renegades, I love them! Disciples with a few nasty weapons mixed with a 50 man mob and fire support of tanks and CSM's let you out-gun the enemy. The fact you can have a 15pt psyker lead your army allows extra points to be focuses on your troops/ heavy support.