PDA

View Full Version : High elf trouble

black seer
06-04-2008, 20:52
I have had many games with my high elves and ive got a fairly good army list but in nearly every game i have played my silver helms with my noble on horseback ,has always been stop from charging by something or the other, any advice

fubukii
06-04-2008, 21:40
use dragon princes instead? for a little more points you get a much better unit.

In addition it would be nice to know what happened to stop the charge with a 8in move and a 16 inch charge im not sure how your having trouble unless you go into more detail.

FurryMiguell
06-04-2008, 21:41
Well, cavy usually get the charge. If yotu get stoped by something all the time, what are these?

I usually guard my heavy cavy with light cavy, or with skirmishers

If you tell me what your main problems are, It'll be easier to help;)

Cheers:D

Kahadras
06-04-2008, 23:52
use dragon princes instead? for a little more points you get a much better unit.

That really doesn't solve the problem that the OP has. Normaly I find that if you want to get the charge then you need to combine savvy movement with a more concerted use of your army.

Basicaly always go for units that you can charge and they can't charge you (infantry being the best example). Going for a combo where you pin the enemy in place with one unit then hitting them in the flank with your cavalry is another good way to ensure you get the charge.

If you suspect your opponant is going to flee then try to work yourself into a position where it will make his life difficult (he has to flee through other units or runs the risk of leaving the table). Hitting enemy units that can deny you the charge or will slow you down is another good way to ensure you can charge what you want, when you want.

I agree with FurryMiguell that you'll need to be more specific about what the problems are that you're facing.

Kahadras

Kloud13
07-04-2008, 07:25
I seem to have a bit of trouble with my fast calvary (Reavers). They are such a small unit, low tougness/save that they seem to attract way too much missle fire. So, early in the game I'm already down an expensive unit. I tend to play empire alot (lot's of shooting) Lizardmen (Lots of Skinks) and Bretonians (This guy runs lots of peasant bowmen) So my Reavers, and Great eagles just don't seem to last that long. Any help for me, or should I just leave them in the foam.

FurryMiguell
07-04-2008, 11:49
I use my fast cavy to the fulllest, and they always seem to be a great part of my battle strategy. Naturally, place them on the flanks, or to guard expencive hardhitting cavy units. The main problem against empire is staying out of his line of fire, but with a 18" move, you can use one turn to manouvre them out behind a terrain piece, making sure that in round two, you got enough move to get to the enemies deployment zone. they done really need to charge anything, as handguns are move or shoot weapons, just get them behind enemy lines. here, they should make a great distraction if not rolling up the entire gunline;)

LIzardmen are tricky when they have loads of skinks running around in the woods. I dont have any experiance at all playing Lizzies, so I cant really give you any advice, but teh fast cavy should be able to outrun and outmanouvre the skinks and their short range of fire.

Bretonnians I do have a lot of experiance against, and it is also the race I have most trouble defeating. with lots of pesants swarming around, you never know what you want t attack. but again, getting the fast cavy into cover first round, and going past their lines in the second is always good, but the skirmishing arhers are nasty against that tactic. then a great eagle to take the atention off the fast cavy could be great!

I still need some more specifics from the OP in order to help him!

Cheers:D

kroq'gar
07-04-2008, 12:14
To get a good charge, you need to risk the unit. Move to a grey area, challenge their ability to judge, and dont be afraid to flee from a charge for the benefit of your plan as a whole.

Mike KK
07-04-2008, 17:13
well tbh high elves ellyrian reavers are rubbish because as you said less than a sneez could kill them and they too many pts for a bow on a horse

WhiteKnight
07-04-2008, 22:38
Reavers are actually a good unit. This one new HE player uses them as "Mage Taxis" and still is able to kill some units by hitting with hard hitting spells combined with Str 4 hits against my high elves. They just have to be used in an effective way.

winkypinky
08-04-2008, 00:06
your problem is that your opponent is playing well. And noone can give you advice unless they know excactly what he/they does.

And then they will counter what ever you do in some way.
This is how the game is intended to be played. So if your opponent stops your cavalry unit and invest resources to do that an other element of your army should be able to do something awesome.
It is just up to you to figure out what.

And to those who say that reavers are rubbish an overcosted. Do you even know how powerfull the fast cavalry rule is? You are paying points for it. But no were near "to much" 5 reavers with bows and musician costs the same as 10 archers which is excactly what they should cost. Since they are mor than twice as good as archers. (this just shows that archers are horribly overcosted and not really that reavers are fine, but you should be able to get the main point. Being on a horse is twice as expensive as being on foot. And more than twice as good since you have double the movement.

Btw dragon princes are not a "better" unit than reavers. since they do not have bows, they have 1 less movement and they are not fast cavalry.
Dp's just have 2 attacks which makes them the perfect unit for little Timmy.
(But Dp's are much better than silverhelms. Which should only be fielded in 7th if you are on a tight budget and can only play with what you got. And they should never be purchased by new players. Plus they make the battleforce much less attractive, but still a ok starting point)

black seer
31-07-2008, 16:00
choas spells and other stuff like dark elf magic

isidril93
31-07-2008, 18:32
use shield of saphery. how many silverhelms do you take?