PDA

View Full Version : Stegadon or Carnosaur?

Farseer Lektalis
06-04-2008, 21:27
I want to know what people's opinions are of the stegadon and the carnosaur. I now have enough money to buy one or the other and wondered which I should choose. The Carnosaur would be a mount for my current old blood and the stegadon could either be on its own or with my skink priest. Anyway whats your opinion of which works better in roughly 2500 pt armies.

Oenghus
06-04-2008, 22:13
Stegadons are much cheaper, points-wise, and will be easier to fit into an all-comers list. Carnosaurs are tons of fun, though, and can really change the feel of a lizardman army.

Of course, I run a Carnosaur and two Stegs at 2250 -- so I'm obviously crazy and should be ignored.

Havesome
07-04-2008, 02:28
Oenghus, I also run two Stegadons in my lists. I love the models and can't really stand the current Salamanders (the old fin-backs were cool, though), so that is enough for me. As far as the carnosaur, it is a fun thing to play but seems to scare the crap out of most players and ends up being dead fairly quickly.

Conotor
07-04-2008, 03:04
Stegg is way better. Carno can barely fight better, doesn't get impact hits, and can be taken out in 2 turns by a decent hero/shock unit.

Braad
07-04-2008, 10:25
Get a job.
Get both.

But I would go for the stegadon first. Since it is a rare choice and not a lord, it can also be used in games below 2000 pts. Besides, a bolt thrower is something you don't get from other lizards, as are impact hits. Also T6 is not so common in a lizard army. Stegadons are rock hard (except against my 6 squig hoppers of course!). And I faced both of them often enough.

Famder
07-04-2008, 16:55
Carnosaur is more delightful to paint. Don't really use either my Steg or my Carnie very often, but I find myself more inclined to use the Steg. Then again I run a Slaan list normally so the Oldblood rarely gets action.

Lordsaradain
07-04-2008, 17:00
The carnosur is the cooler model, but I'd still uy a steggie first, as carnosaurs can only be used in 2K+ games.

silentwitness
07-04-2008, 20:15
If you are only concerning yourself with tactics, I'd suggest neither. The Stegadon's role can be filled quite nicely by a unit of krox who will have to trade off the Stegg's terror for str7 and the ability to charge through skinks. Having the Carnosaur might as well be putting a big old target on your Oldblood's head because thats how everyone else will see him. He will be much safer (and I think more effective, being less of a target) if mounted on a cold one or given track star running ability (jag talisman). That said, if your going for simply a dinosaur the Carnosaur is my pick. Its tons of fun to paint and has a much more dynamic pose than the stegadon. Plus if you have the time you could convert it spectacularly (new dragon model anyone, use both boxes to look a lot like one of the Jurassic park raptors jumping at you). Hopefully that helps and btw i hav both.

Mike KK
07-04-2008, 21:10
omg you have just inspired me to do lizardmen, 2 stegs+ carnesaur is my thinking, too many times playing my mates lizards has led me to hate slann and salamanders so i won't be taking any of them on principle. but cheers for the inspiration :D

ReveredChaplainDrake
07-04-2008, 22:21
I find Stegs to mesh really well with a list with a mobile BSB. A BSB Itzl Scarvet (preferably actually in some Saurus Cav) makes a great way to babysit a Stegadon and make use of the Stubbornness. It's a good way to hold up heavy hitting units that rely on bulks of Str3-4 attacks and/or psychology, like Skaven or Undead. And it's still terrorism.

The problem with Jurrassic Park lists like this is that they're incredibly expensive. You might as well field Kroq-Gar and take lots of Saurus Cav in a Doublesteg list.

I might actually want to try something like this, if Sallies weren't so much better against gunlines than Stegs.

Orinoco
07-04-2008, 22:33
use the stegadon and put a skink wizard with the sun staff (read machine gun) on it. I've picked up a small squiggoth from forgeworld because I hate the current stegadon model.

I do plan on using my carnosaur in games of legendary battles. BTW, its better to use Kroq-Gar if your army suits his force organisation chart alterations. for the pts you spend tooling up an old blood you are much better off using Kroq-Gar's special items and what not. However, if you like the individuality you can always stick with an old blood.

Havesome
07-04-2008, 22:34
omg you have just inspired me to do lizardmen, 2 stegs+ carnesaur is my thinking, too many times playing my mates lizards has led me to hate slann and salamanders so i won't be taking any of them on principle. but cheers for the inspiration :D

It's nice when you play at a store where all the friendly games have players that run different armies every time they play. There are always one or two people though, that never seem to care about having fun and bring the most un-creative cookie-cutter power lists possible every single time. I usually end up making excuses if they ask me to play anymore.

Farseer Lektalis
08-04-2008, 00:41
Well thank you for your guys' input as it is I will probably pick up a steg on the weekend and have a few games with it next week. The steg does seem the better option because of the impact hits. My friends skeletons are the bane of my saurus (just because i caused 5 wounds doesn't mean i wont run from the fear).
Now one final question if ya don't mind, should i mount a skink priest on my steg or keep the bolt thrower instead?

ReveredChaplainDrake
08-04-2008, 01:29
I find that, especially if you're using a Slann in the army, a Skink Priest is literally 4 times better on foot than on a Steg. If on a Steg, it's a large target, but your LoS cuts down to 90 degrees, which impairs using the Priest for Telepathy. (Or worse, you impair your Stegadon so the Priest isn't compromised!)

Also, I find being on a Stegadon is the least safe form of transport for a Priest. Stegs already wear "shoot me" signs. Putting a walking Dispel Dice up there is only one more incentive to kill the Steg. I prefer putting Priests in Skink Skirmisher units because rallying and marching have no bearing on the Priest's usefulness as a mage / Telepathy hub.

Ajit
08-04-2008, 04:35
I hope i don't get flamed too much for this, but...

what do you guys think about putting a skink chieftain on top of a steg?

Famder
08-04-2008, 05:50
what do you guys think about putting a skink chieftain on top of a steg?
Same way I feel about using any skink chief. Don't do it. He is only good for increasing the leadership of the Steg and doesn't do a good job of it for the price.

but your LOS cuts down to 90 degrees, which impairs using the Priest for Telepathy.
No it doesn't, the Stegadon's rules specifies that the skinks can fire in any direction which means they have LOS in any direction. Only the Stegadon has 90 LOS.

Ajit
08-04-2008, 06:01
I've had some good results with a chief equipped with the cloak of feathers and sword of might. I marked him with Sotek and the ability to scout, then I unleashed him on war machines. He shouldn't have any problems taking out any crew, with the exception of dwarfs. Scout him with a unit of skinks so that he can survive the round of shooting before he charges.