PDA

View Full Version : Bretonnians.

brassangel
07-04-2008, 00:08
I am new to Warhammer Fantasy, though I have participated in Golden Demon and AdeptiCon painting competitions, even winning a few awards. I am looking at starting a Bretonnian army, but was wondering if there are any rumors floating around about a rules overhaul for them in the near future. I would do 40k, but I hate the period of awkwardness that accompanies a new rules system where some books are old/outdated, and others are brand-spanking new but full of glitches.

I am hearing good things about the current WFB system, and Bretonnians seem to have little wrong with them. If anyone can point me in the direction of any news and rumors concerning their near future so that I don't make a terrible decision, please do. Also, as I don't post here often and am not 100% certain on the rules, please feel free to move this thread to the appropriate location. Thanks.

Lantern
07-04-2008, 00:16
So far, the Bretonnians are pretty much fine, with no rumours about new rules or updates available. YES, people complain about the blessing and would like it taken away, or toned down, but other than complaints saying that it SHOULD be updated, there is nothing so far to say it will be.
NB, Since High Elves were released with thier Always Strikes First rule, I've heard less and less complaints about the Bretonnians, so hopefully people have realised that every army has its own special rules and that will be the end of it.

brassangel
07-04-2008, 00:19
This is good, and useful news to me. Thank you.

One rules question I did have, however--and please forgive my ignorance--how do I actually go about obtaining the blessing at the start of each game? Do I just say I'm praying? Do I pay a points cost? I guess I don't really understand that section of the book from just the rules description posted there. Again, new to this system. 40k is far more straight forward.

I'm also not looking to power-game (ie: Royal Air Force I keep hearing about), but rather, develop an interesting fluff-based army with a unified paint scheme as opposed to the travelling circus.

Bretonnian Lord
07-04-2008, 00:30
Getting the blessing doesn't require points.

At the beginning of the game, simply declare you are praying and you automatically get the Blessing of the Lady. The flip side of the coin is that if you pray, your opponent gets to choose whether he wants first turn or not.

Also, Bretonnians are a fairly recent army, so don't expect a major rules overhaul on them for a couple years at least.

Get out there and earn glory in the name of the Lady! :)

brassangel
07-04-2008, 00:32
Thanks! I think I'm pretty much sold now. Ordering a few boxes of Knights as we speak.

Lantern
07-04-2008, 00:38
Maybe have a look at some balanced army lists online too, get a feel for that, then tweak it to your own tastes.

TheSanityAssassin
07-04-2008, 02:38
I'm very happy with the Bretonnians. Recently picked some up to give me a foil to my full Infantry High Elf list. They will definitely take some people off guard if they aren't commonly played in your area....I know the first time I put that many Knights down on the table I rolled over some Lizards and Dwarfs in good order...really nice when your Blessing stops a Bolt Thrower on the first wound.

Lord_Ribbit
07-04-2008, 20:23
I just started a Brettonian army as my second army and I gotta say, I love them. You will enjoy them very much.

Good choice!

- Lord Ribbit -

brassangel
07-04-2008, 23:29
Financially, they seem to make sense as well. 8 Knights for $35 (retail) makes far more sense than 20 Zombies for the same price. Points wise, rules wise, and planning the long-term route to building an army for the right price.

Do (all of) you prefer to paint a unified look to a Bretonnian army; or do you prefer the circus style? Where can I go to look at a lot of differend ideas, besides CoolMiniOrNot or GW?

I like the unification route, as incoherency bothers me, but I'm finding it slightly challenging to fit it, fluff-wise. I've done considerable research on medieval heraldry, and the history of the Feudal System, but Bretonnia is a little...weird.

AzureDruchii
07-04-2008, 23:33
Well Bretonnia is all about feudal europe if I'm not terribly mistaken...

As for the unified look, you could easily describe it as a crusading force or King Louen's personal army etc... its possible.

Or you could have a unit from each province all painted with the provincial colors to represent a unified force to save Bretonnia? That way it won't get boring and they aren't circusy.

-Rex

brassangel
07-04-2008, 23:38
They are supposed to be all about Feudal Europe (even though the Empire is about two centuries ahead for some reason...and all the races vying for the same supremecy..), but there are some minor differences. It makes sense though, being a fantasy world and all. Feudal Europe wasn't quite as Circus'y from what I've researched.

Thanks for the idea Azure.

Count Sinister
07-04-2008, 23:43
There are any number of possibilities, when it comes to painting, to avoid a 'disunified' look. One way, as suggested above, is to have units from different lords all fighting under the same banner. In fact, this is a nice option, as you can paint each unit (not each model!) differently, just to give yourself a change.
I wanted my whole army to have more or less the same colours (with a few exceptions), so I made my knights all 'Chapel Knights', tasked with protecting the Lord's chapel (blessed by the Lady), and all my peasants are 'Chapel Guard'.
On an unrelated note - welcome to the wonderful world of Bretonnians! They are a lot of fun to play with, and you can create some very different armies with just a few unit changes. Best of luck!

Lady Raviaries Silverkin
08-04-2008, 01:38
As a breton-only player, I must say that I enjoy it so far. Some of the rule still confuse me about what happens (especially line of sight when mounted on horseback. I think the final ruling was 'only in front rank).

On the matter of unity, I based my army off Scottish Heraldry, which is done MUCH differently than most heraldry.

Most heraldry at least for GW Bretons, is the sons have a symbol similar to their father or mother (For example, Louen Leoncoeur's I believe holds the royal lion, and the two main colors of his mother and father's heraldry - red and blue). When your Dad dies, you, the oldest son (usuallly) inherits the heraldry.

BUT, for scottish, everyone has their own. You dont 'inherit' heraldry when you aquire it. Each one is assigned to you. True, some families have very similar heraldry in the style of others, but if you wanted Pink Purple Dragons rampant on green, and your father had a Lion Rampant on Magenta, that was your choice completely (not that the Court of Lyons as it is called would approve such a heraldry).

And then there's the Clan Badges on top of that - a kind of 'shield' that anyone in the clan (basically, territory) may wear. And the Clan Chief has his own banner, usually with a similar but not exact heraldry of what his own Device is.

So my bretonnians... each knight has his own heraldry. EVERY SINGLE ONE. x.x Understandably, this means I have to paint each device a total of 5 times (Four on the horse, one shield). Six if they're a banner bearer.

Right now, all of my Men at Arms and Archers all wear the colors of my BAnner Bearer - The Honorable Sir William MacPherson, so they wear yellow and blue. I simplified their shields to avoid painting that galleon two bazillion times by bisecting them at an angle and painting the top yellow and bottom blue - a simpler shield for the lowly peasants while still displaying their Lords' colors.

To save myself the frustrations of painting dark blue and yellow together (Hate yellow. Evil.), I think the rest of my Men at Arms will be under 'King Robert the Bruce" and wear blue and red. Perhaps with a bit of fancifying because they are the KINGS' Men.

In the Bretonnian book, a lot of the time a unit of knights will have a similar common heraldry for where they're from. I can't think of any examples off the top of my head.

All in all, I love painting my army and while I'm told the colors are often too 'bright' or 'clean' (I have yet to master Mud and Blood), the detailing is superb as I refuse to use decals at all.

Once I get better photos I hope to show them off more! If you want some 'bad' photos I will happily answer PMs with my flickr account.

Good luck with your bretons is all I can say!

unforgiven555
08-04-2008, 08:37
I would do 40k, but I hate the period of awkwardness that accompanies a new rules system where some books are old/outdated, and others are brand-spanking new but full of glitches.

Bretonnians probably won't be updated for a long time. They don't really need to be. There's nothing wrong with a uniformly painted bretonnian army - it's your army, paint it the way you want. You might utilize the same painting scheme for all of the knights horses, modifying only their heraldry and helmets. Even if you're not looking for a RAF I would highly recommend one unit of 3-4 pegasus knights. Not only are the models fantastic, they help significantly with some of the areas of weakness for bretonnians (mainly, IMO, heros mounted on flying monsters - ie. dragons or greater deamons, and war machines). I can't see myself ever playing a game without them. 20" M, t4, 2 wounds, 2 s4 attacks and one s5 attack on the charge make them very tough and powerful - albeit expensive. They also have the ability to take a standard - unlike most flying units - giving them static CR which I have found to be very helpful while using them.