PDA

View Full Version : New Vampire Count needs roasting by Veteran eyes

W0197158
07-04-2008, 03:12
Hello all. As the title suggests, I am a new VC player and I sorely need experienced eyes to gauge the success and efficency of my list. This is actually my first Warhammer army list in a long time (first for this edition actually) and I could sure use a few helpful pointers from anyone who is willing to throw me a bone. Thank you to all who read and respond.

Vampire Count Army List: 2000 Points

LORDS

Vampire Lord: 390
POWERS: Master of the Black Arts (50), Lord of the Dead (15), Dark Acolyte (30)
EQUIPMENT: Helm of Commandment (30), Crown of the Damned (35), Sceptre de Noirot (25), Hand Weapon

A very expensive casty lord that I don't necessarily know what I am doing with. I figured I would put him with the Skeletons with spears near the middle of the table and raise or replenish units that are harmed in the inevitable march to the enemy. The Helm of commandment should allow me to enhance the fighting prowress of any unit that needs it, but more likely than not the buff will be going to the grave guard.

HEROES

VAMPIRE: 195 (Goes with Ghouls)
POWERS: Dark Acolyte (30), Summon Ghouls (15)
EQUIPMENT: The Flayed Hauberk (25), Sword of Battle (15), Talisman of Lycni (10)

This Vampire hero represents a jack of all trades rather than a master of anything specifically. I don't know whether I really need summon ghouls but I figured that it can't hurt. Basically this vampire hangs with ghouls looking for a flank charge; and he happens to be in range of a war machine or an enemy wizard then I am off into combat thanks to the Talisman of Lycni.

NECROMANCER: 205
MOUNT: Corpse Cart with Unholy Lodestone (100)
SPELLS: Danse Macabre
EQUIPMENT: Book of Arkhan (35), Black Periapt (15)

The only sure source of speed in the army thanks to the book and the selected spell; This necromancer will set up in the dead center of the army insuring that at least 3 units get the benifit of its bound spell and unholy lode.

Total: 790

CORE

16 Skeletons: 144 (Corpse Cart Joins Here)
COMMAND: Standard Bearer (8), Champion (8)
MAGIC BANNER: NA
EQUIPMENT: Hand Weapon, Shield, Light Armor

I know that Ghouls are a more eficient unit to use than skeletons by far, but something about skeletons seems more appealing than ghouls. Cheap as they can be; if I had the points I wish that I could buy them a banner to justify them more than simply aesthetic appeal.

19 Skeletons: 187 (Vampire Lord Joins Here)
COMMAND: Standard Bearer (8), Champion (8)
EQUIPMENT: Spears, Hand Weapon, Shield, Light Armor (20)

Something of a defensive unit in case I need one. They're ability to choose either spears or hand weapons means they're probably my most flexible unit.

17 Ghouls: 144 (Vampire Joins Here)
COMMAND: Crypt Ghoul (8)
EQUIPMENT: Hand Weapon

13 potential poisoned attacks... need I say more.

5 Dire Wolves: 40
COMMAND: NA

multi purpose meat shield #1

multi purpose meat shield #2

Total: 555

SPECIAL

5 Black Knights: 177
COMMAND: Standard Bearer (16), Hell Knight (16)
MAGIC BANNER: Banner of the Dead Legion (25)
EQUIPMENT: Lance, Hand Weapon, Shield, Heavy Armor, Steed

I love calvary and wish I could put more in but for reasons that are understandable, calvary aren't core in VC army. these guys will either team up with the Varghulf or or one of the other units in order to get a flank charge. The banner of the dead legion when combined with a successful combat should almost gaurentee that my opponent's troops will be running.

18 Grave Guard: 303
COMMAND: Standard Bearer (12), Seneschal (12)
MAGIC BANNER: Banner of the Barrows (45)
EQUIPMENT: Great Weapons (18), Hand Weapon, Heavy Armor

The big muscle of the army, I think everybody knows what the banner of Barrows + the helm of commandment + great weapons can do. Inevitably they will suffer from high elves and other units that can strike first, but hopefully they're 6 man front will help alleviate this problem. In all honesty while I love the grave guard models, I am wondering if i should replace the guard with a unit of carin wraiths. What do you all think?

Total: 480

RARE

Varghulf: 175

Another much need vampire. Varghulf goes on the flanks looking to team up with zombies and other units to take down his targets.

Total: 175

Grand Total: 2,000

POWER DICE: 10
DISPEL DICE: 5

so they're is my army list.... What do you all think?

Malorian
07-04-2008, 15:03
Keep in mind I'm not a VC vet, but here are my thoughts:

Lord:
-Probably best to specialize. If this characters is manly for bringing up skeletons then why give it the staff of noirot? Also I don't have the book on me but I think two of those items are of the same magic type.

Vampire:
-You gave this character a different mastery. You're probably better off picking one and then going with it for the whole army so that any vampire can help out any unit

Skeletons:
-Not to get into the ghoul vs skeleton issue, but just that you have two different types. This isn't a bad thing per say, but it means you need a bunch of both for extra raising. For simplicity (and to save money) you would be better off just going spears ot just handweapons.

Unit sizes:
-You start them pretty big and then spend points on masterys to raise them larger. To save point you might want to decrease the size of these units and then just raise them, or drop the mastery on the all but the lord.

Wolves:
-Never used them but reading the reports I haven't heard anything good about them...

Black knights:
-That's a lot of points in one small unit. I find my knights are slaughtered every game and that's with a unit of 7. You might want to think about making the unit larger or at least giving them barding.

W0197158
08-04-2008, 20:08
I reworked my list with some of the suggestions that were brought to my attention. As far as the black knights are concerned I feel comfortable leaving them at five, but if their survivability is really an issue, then I have no problem getting rid of their magic banner and instead add an additional knight.

LORDS

Vampire Lord: 390 (Goes with Skeletons with Hand Weapons)
POWERS: Master of the Black Arts, Lord of the Dead, Dark Acolyte
EQUIPMENT: Helm of Commandment, Crown of the Damned, Sceptre de Noirot, Hand Weapon

HEROES

VAMPIRE #1: 195 (Goes with Ghouls)
POWERS: Dark Acolyte, Lord of the Dead
EQUIPMENT: The Flayed Hauberk, Sword of Battle, Talisman of Lycni

VAMPIRE #2: 175 (Goes with Skeletons with Spears maybe even knights)
POWERS: Dread Knight
EQUIPMENT: Book of Arkhan, Black Periapt, Lance, Hand weapon, Shield, Heavy Armor, Barded Nightmare

Total: 760

CORE

14 Skeletons: 128 (Vampire Lord Joins Here)
COMMAND: Standard Bearer, Champion
EQUIPMENT: Hand Weapon, Shield, Light Armor

13 Skeletons: 133 (Vampire # 2 Joins Here)
COMMAND: Standard Bearer, Champion
EQUIPMENT: Spears, Hand Weapon, Shield, Light Armor

17 Ghouls: 144 (Vampire #1 Joins Here)
COMMAND: Crypt Ghoul

Corpse Cart: 100
EQUIPMENT: Unholy lodestone

Total: 585

SPECIAL

5 Black Knights: 177
COMMAND: Standard Bearer (16), Hell Knight (16)
MAGIC BANNER: Banner of the Dead Legion (25)
EQUIPMENT: Lance, Hand Weapon, Shield, Heavy Armor, Steed

18 Grave Guard: 303
COMMAND: Standard Bearer, Seneschal
MAGIC BANNER: Banner of the Barrows
EQUIPMENT: Great Weapons, Hand Weapon, Heavy Armor

Total: 480

RARE

Varghulf:

Total: 175

Grand Total: 2000

POWER DICE: 10/11
DISPEL DICE: 6/5

_Lucian_
08-04-2008, 20:22
looks good bar the fact you have a stupid vampire. I'm not sure if i would risk it personally.

Spirit
08-04-2008, 23:51
Stupid at LD 10 is not a risk, and even if you do fail, you can still cast magic, the unit just moves 3" that turn, not a big deal.

As far as the black knights are concerned I feel comfortable leaving them at five, but if their survivability is really an issue, then I have no problem getting rid of their magic banner and instead add an additional knight.

5 knights. Not that survivable.
5 knights that can be brought back from the dead as long as there is one left. More survivable.
5 knights that can be brought back from the dead and placed into a forest making them -1 to hit. Some of the most survivable knights out there.

Personally i would strip them completely and run 6 barded knights, nothing else. This plus a varghulf makes a cheap and nasty combo that does what it says on the tin. And not much can counter it for cost.

And my 2 cents o the army. Sorry but i didn't read the whole list, just making a comment on your vampires.

At the moment the lord generates 6 power, 2 dispell and gets 5 spells total.

I always find M.O.T.B.A vampires work alt better when given forbidden lore instead of lvl4. This way you only lose 1 power dice, can still raise your skeletons on a 3+, but get another guaranteed vanhells rolled. And of course you can take lores that are army specific (metal if you fight empire, for example) and 7 spells is much better than 5 ^^.

Most notably with this build, have you ever seen the look on someones face when your vampire lord because S7 with 7 attacks at toughness 6?! (the bears anger) or 5 attacks at S8 with 2+ to hit? (flaming sword) Both hilarious, and the former (possibly flaming sword aswell) can be cast on your other heros if they are the ones in combat. Very very funny.

For the other vamp, id take a biting blade, 5 points and you negate most troops armour save. Then id take a power stone to boost your magic, very handy at the right time. To me, with only 3 heroes, i don't want one of them running off. I have bats, wolves and varghulfsto do that for me! So id ditch the Talisman (So flayed hauberk, power stone and biting blade.

Edit: Oh yes your necromancer is illegal, you can only have 1 arcane item on a character. Everyone seems to make this mistake with the periapt and vanhells. Bear in mind that the periapt adds to POOL dice, so even if a vampire has it, you can still use the dice with the necromancer.