PDA

View Full Version : Gaunts Ghosts or Ciaphas Cain

Blood Pacter
07-04-2008, 03:57
I have read both the series but i want to know what the people think which is better in my opinion its gaunts ghosts by a long shot but their both great

Varath- Lord Impaler
07-04-2008, 04:26
I love Gaunts ghosts with a passion, but the Ciaphas Cain novels are just so witty in a more overt way.

Warp Zero
07-04-2008, 04:30
I've read both. I like both.

However, in the end, I like the Ghost series more. But should we really be comparing the two? There are both so different in what they're going for.

T_55
07-04-2008, 08:13
Ciaphas Cain because of the witty humour and great character.

Bookwrak
07-04-2008, 09:05
I read the Ghost novels when I want something serious. I read Cain when I have a craving for Flashman.

Baneboss
07-04-2008, 09:23
I only read first novels from both titles and I have to say Ciaphas wins it for me at the moment. Ghosts are a fast, easy read. Too easy for me but I suppose its Abnett style.

Sir_Turalyon
07-04-2008, 09:59
Ciaphas Cain, not only because it's witty, but because it's actualy readable, and can be read more then once. Ghosts series are so bland and "im so trying to be cool and heroic" they might be ultramarine novel in disguise.

RampagingRavener
07-04-2008, 10:10
Caiphus Cain books, easily. I found the Gaunts Ghosts books dull, formulaic, and filled with boring, unlikable characters. Never understood what was supposed to be so great about them.

Commissar Vaughn
07-04-2008, 10:25
Cain ftw. Cant stand the way abbnet writes.

Snowfire
07-04-2008, 11:01
I refuse to vote, just because I can't decide. They are too different to compare to one another, sorry.

Adra
07-04-2008, 11:46
Ghosts but really they dont have much in common. Better would be a character poll.

SirKronoss
07-04-2008, 14:37
Ciaphas Cain and Jurgen =] with his Melta and ofcourse my favorite company The Valhallan 597th with redhaired Karsteen and Major Broklaw...

Sulla I dispite as Cain does :evilgrin: even if I like her subordinate Lutzig =]

I really like all techpriests and adeptus mechanicus followers, ofcourse not all here shares my ideals - but Praise the Omnissiah for his guidance

Kelderaith
07-04-2008, 15:57
Didn't vote for I really like both series a lot. I can safely say I wait impatiently for each new release of those series. Like some people said, I couldn't really vote for the fact they have really really different style and are very good at what they do in my humble opinion.

Promethius
07-04-2008, 16:14
I prefer Cain. Ghosts is good and all, but given the choice I would much rather have a new Cain book than a new ghosts book.

PondaNagura
07-04-2008, 16:28
i like them both, but the GG series is average 40k fiction.

"there's a story and a hero, and you don't whether he'll die or not, but he kind of lives, and the stories are all tied together in some sort of trilogy but with way more books..."

Cain however is told from a first person reflection upon life, with nice little cliffnotes at the bottom. it's the comic relief to the universe's series. You already know he's going to live but it's interesting to see how he solves the crime...it's like watching "space columbo".

Grimshawl
07-04-2008, 16:38
both are good. I like Cain a bit better tho.

Spook101
07-04-2008, 18:20
the ghosts

Bragg in particular

Frep
07-04-2008, 20:24
I like them both about equally, but they're really too different to compare.

Kasrkin-238
07-04-2008, 22:00
The Cain books. I really like the style, and i enjoy the foonotes from the perspective of Amberley.

I also like the fact that they are memoirs. Looking forward to it reaching the 13th Black Crusade.

Blood Pacter
07-04-2008, 22:12
i agree and think i shouldve have made it the characters instead but my picks still GG but Ciaphas Cain is what got me into 40k so i love it just as much
cant wait for the new one

Lord Cook
07-04-2008, 22:53
I love them both, but you can't really compare as they are both very different stories with different intentions. Cain is great for witty comedy, but it's light hearted and you know all the major characters are perfectly safe. Nobody important ever dies. They always face a new enemy every book, and it's always two at once. None of the books are really connected.

By comparison, the Ghosts books are a lot darker and more serious. There's a little humour here and there, but not much. Nobody except Gaunt himself is safe. Nobody. They're more realistic because the characters tend to feel more real, while the Cain characters are very "let's all be jolly good friends and work together". Basically, Cain is Flashman in 40k. It's brilliantly done, but it isn't really 40k, it's just been adapted very nicely into that atmosphere. The Ghosts epitomise 40k. From one warzone to another, you see more and more of the old band fall, and it feels very Apocalyptic and doomed.

You really need to read Eisenhorn as well.

TheMav80
08-04-2008, 00:12
First and Only!

corvo
08-04-2008, 03:56
Cain without a question. The ghost books just kind of read like most other books in the genre, they don't actually bring anything new to the table. I do know that the concept behind the Cain series has been used by someone else first, I just really do like the execution.

hush88
08-04-2008, 09:08
Gaunt is good if you are thristing for blood and action but Ciaphas is just pure fun:D

demiourgos
08-04-2008, 14:09
There is no Cain without Gaunt. Cain takes Gaunt (and all of 40K) and just turns it on its head, which is quite entertaining to read.

I read the Founding, then the Cain omnibus and when I started the Saint series it took me a book and a half to adjust to the earnest tone of the series. I couldn't help giggling throughout Honour Guard because I kept thinking "WWCD" and waiting for a malodorous arrival. Still I can't read enough Abnett.

boogle
08-04-2008, 14:16
Both are different types of stories, so you can't really compare them, the Ghosts, you should care about all of them and feel the loss of every named character, Cain, well there's Cain and Jurgen, the rest are all ablative wounds for Cain to survive, plus we know he survives to the 13th Black Crusade, whereas you never know who is going to pop their clogs in the next GG book

Edit: didn't read Lord Cook's reply, but i totally agree

Sir_Turalyon
08-04-2008, 14:30
Many people think for some reason that Cain are "fun" 40k stories. They are not; events and actions of participants are all dead serious (unlike some really wrote or fun 40k stories, most of them about Orks). Nothing that happens is funny; these stories are just narrated in intelligent manner, throwing some irony into serious storyline. And if one absolutley needs "lasguns blazing" and "chainsword waving" narration style in 40k book, there are excepts from Sulla's memoires :angel: .

Lexington
08-04-2008, 14:32
Basically, Cain is Flashman in 40k. It's brilliantly done, but it isn't really 40k, it's just been adapted very nicely into that atmosphere.
I haven't read either series, but this seems like an accurate description of all good 40K background.