PDA

View Full Version : 2250 Empire Gunline

GMMStudios
07-04-2008, 04:05
Hey all.

Okay, I have perused what models I have along with what I ordered, and looked over the book and made a list. I would like to keep the cannons and the Stanks, as I already have the models.

Arch Lector on Altar
Great Weapon

Battle Wizard Lv 2
Battle Wizard Lv 2
Dispell Scroll

Battle Wizard Lv 2
Dispell Scroll

10 handgunners w/ Marksman 85
10 handgunners w/ Marksman Hochland 105
10 Crossbowmen w/ Marksman 85
6 knights 138

Cannon 100
Cannon 100
Cannon 100
Cannon 100

Steam Tank 300
Steam Tank 300

6 power dice, 5 dispel (I think...this will be the first time Ive had much magic so Im new. Two dispel come from the Arch Lector) Edit: Wait I think you get a couple just as base...Ill have to check later.

I have a feeling the wizards and especially the Arch Lector might be low on items. I dunno if I should add more if they are good as is. Ive played 40k for a long time where I find its better to take more bodies than special stuff (for my armies at least) I'm thinking maybe drop a unit of handgunners for some magic items?

Also, the setup of the gunners is not set in stone. I could make some detachments, although the thought of either ten with five or twenty with two tens makes me worry about panic from shooting...

I was also thinking of adding Archers instead of a unit of gunners, but Im not sure if is worth it...

Thanks for any advice!

Brandon

kroq'gar
07-04-2008, 04:18
definately make some detachments - as detachments dont cause panic. This also lets you hold a charge much better.

Worth noting- you could drop a cannon and get some barded outriders for serious damage output w/4+ save.

*take a unit huntsmen to marchblock.
*you have 6 dispel dice.
*Your archlector needs items, and give him some armour.
*take a mortar

Not really an army suggestion- this force falls under the 'one of those armies everyone hates'. Unless its for tourne play, i'd rethink it.

alextroy
07-04-2008, 05:09
Soo many comments to make, not including "don't make a boring gunline".

The Archlector needs equipment. At least slap some armor on the boy. Van Hortmann's Speculum is rather nice on him also. I'd also skip the Great Weapon in favor of the Sword of Might and a shield (mundane or magic, your choice).

One Wizard should have the Rod of Power. Another should have the Doomfire Ring. Either (or both) can add a Power Stone and one can have the Ring of Volans for more magic goodness. The third can take 2 dispell scrolls.

Don't waste points on Marksmen if your not going to buy them special weapons. The Repeater Handgun is nice. Having only one Hochland is pointless. It will just miss most of the time. If your going down that road, get more. Also, you'll be better off with less full units of Handgunners and more detachments. You'll be able to select more enemy targets and will lose less models when the enemy reachs your lines. Also, if your going gunline, get more crossbows as you'll need the range.

Both Outriders and Pistolier will help a gunline, as they either help in the movement phase or pack a lot of firepower in a small frontage.

Don't take 4 cannons and 2 Steam Tanks. Take a mix of Empire war machines. The Mortar, Helstrom Rocket Battery, and Helblaster Volley Gun all have uses what will make for a much strong shooting phase and help defend your army from the advancing enemy.

Finally, expect to lose should the enemy reach your lines.

fubukii
07-04-2008, 05:18
give your arch lector the van horstmens spec, and sword of power so he can kill characters.

drop the marksmen.

maybe add some bound spell items

GMMStudios
07-04-2008, 05:49
definately make some detachments - as detachments dont cause panic. This also lets you hold a charge much better.

But dont they run from getting shot more often with small numbers? I havent played Fantasy in years so excuse my ignorance.

Worth noting- you could drop a cannon and get some barded outriders for serious damage output w/4+ save.

*take a unit huntsmen to marchblock.
*you have 6 dispel dice.
*Your archlector needs items, and give him some armour.
*take a mortar

Okay at this point Im thinking drop some gunners and all the marksmen for huntsmen and some armor for the important guy.

I might make one cannon a mortar...but there just something about small blasts I dont like...its probably from playing armored company. I guess in fantasy they do a lot more damage though from packed ranks..

Also pulling out four cannons makes people squirm!

Not really an army suggestion- this force falls under the 'one of those armies everyone hates'. Unless its for tourne play, i'd rethink it.

I go pretty far back with most of my gaming group. They can take the heat and most of the time deserve the smack! :) Probably wont play it much out of tournies though too.

The Archlector needs equipment. At least slap some armor on the boy. Van Hortmann's Speculum is rather nice on him also. I'd also skip the Great Weapon in favor of the Sword of Might and a shield (mundane or magic, your choice).

Noted!

Don't take 4 cannons and 2 Steam Tanks. Take a mix of Empire war machines. The Mortar, Helstrom Rocket Battery, and Helblaster Volley Gun all have uses what will make for a much strong shooting phase and help defend your army from the advancing enemy.

Okay, two people for a mortar, so i may have to try it...

Im not dropping a steam tank unfortunately as I already bought the models and those puppies are expensive. Well, at least for now. I have a HB lying around I may paint to swap in later.

give your arch lector the van horstmens spec, and sword of power so he can kill characters.

drop the marksmen.

maybe add some bound spell items

Okay, Spec seems like a good choice as does dropping the marksmen. Ill rewrite this tomorrow and repost.

Brandon

GMMStudios
08-04-2008, 04:11
Hey all,

Rereading the rules for the altar, I see why ou guys suggest adding better weapons, but what armor should I give him? The meteorite armor at 1+ seems pretty good for the price...

fubukii
08-04-2008, 04:15
a good kit normally for the lector is, THe 1+ save armor the sword of power and the van horstmens for a pretty nice character killer.

GMMStudios
08-04-2008, 04:32
But do you think in this army it is worth it to deck him out considering he, the small knight unit, and somewhat the stanks are the only combat oriented units?

Im a complete newb to Empire and havent played fantasy in years, so sorry if thats silly to ask..

Sarael
08-04-2008, 09:07
For crying out loud, if you're going to do a cheeseline, then do it right!

Drop the knights, as the Stanks and Walter are enough CC cheese, I mean, ability. Next, use those points to get the suggested bound items, and put both Dscrolls on the same caddie. Drop the marksmen, using the saved points to gear up your Walter, again, as was suggested.

Once you've rounded out the list this way, prepare to be groaned about, and prepare to get 0s at tournies for army comp. Simply add another Stank, cannon, and the Emperor on Griff (and handgunner point filler) if you want to go to 3500 for 'Ard Boyz.

I would honestly have this army for the times my friends have gunline day (end of the month) if not for how unmanly the Empire Handgunners look. I stare across the board at them all, and can't shake the feeling that those little plastic figures want to do unwholesome things to my skeletons...

If I could get past how they look, I'd paint their legs green and call them "The Men in Tights", and sing the song while I played (humming it when my opponent asked me to stop singing).

GMMStudios
08-04-2008, 14:44
Thanks for the tips. :)

And I wont be using the handgunner models anyway.

Once you've rounded out the list this way, prepare to be groaned about, and prepare to get 0s at tournies for army comp.

Thats fine. If someone is going to be a baby I really don't care what they think of my army. Nothing gets my goat more than people who whine over completely legal things, or go out of their way to try and prevent people from playing the army they want. There is no reason for comp scores. If its legal its legal.