PDA

View Full Version : Slaanesh CM vs High Elves 2250pts

Cartoon
07-04-2008, 04:53
I have a few questions regarding my chaos force when playing my buddy who uses a magic heavy high elf army. The majority of my army is mounted, and the units that aren't have decent Mv anyway; warhounds, furries, and dragon ogres.

First, what are the standards and command options for chaos knights? I'm running three units of knights with full command, one unit chosen. I plan to put my lord with the chosen, and an aspiring champion with one of the others. The chosen knights have the blasphemous standard, and the aspiring champion is carrying the war banner. Is the bs and lord too much for one unit? I'm worried it's going to get blasted apart before they can get to combat.

My 1 marauder horsemen units have flails and a musician, but I was going to use them to be a meat shield for my knights. I was also planning to use the warhounds to the same effect.

My army looks like: Lord, Aspiring Champion, 2 sorcerers, 3 chaos knights (one chosen), 1 marauder horsemen, 2 warhounds, 1 furries, 1 dragon ogres. What are some strategies I could use to get my ogres and knights to combat in one piece?

If you couldn't tell, I'm new to the game, and I really appreciate any advice. If I missed most of this in an earlier thread I apologize.

Yehoshua
07-04-2008, 05:19
I don't see any problem with putting your BSB and Lord in the same unit; just make sure that you carefully choose, during and after deployment, what that unit is going to do for the game. Decide which unit it's going to fight (and which it will avoid) and make the execution of that goal a priority every turn.

If he's taking any repeater bolt-throwers, he is likely to place a hill, in which case there's nothing you can do to stop him hitting your knights. That's fine, really, as long as you don't let him get flank shots (and thus possible penetrations).

Otherwise, you want to attempt to place the warhounds and horsemen such that your opponent does not have line of sight to your Chosen and Dragon Ogres from any mages with dangerous magic missiles (if he takes out a unit or two of regular knights, that's the cost of doing business).

Keep enough distance (~7 inches?) between your horsemen/hounds and your line of knights, so that once he charges your horsemen/hounds and you flee with them (as you should), he will not be able to reach your knights with his charge move, and you will be able to do a flank charge on your turn.

He may choose not to charge your front units, so place them so that they can charge (or move) out of the way on your following turn, clearing the charge lanes for your knights.

Remember always that he strikes first, so avoid head-on combats with White Lions and Swordmasters like the plague; only engage their flanks if at all possible.

Also avoid fighting any large ranked units containing his BSB until you can arrange a flank charge, as the BSB will likely have a banner granting +D6 CR, so you'll need to negate his ranks at the very least to have a shot.

Cartoon
07-04-2008, 14:57
Well it looks like I've got my work cut out for me then. Thank you for the reply. To any chaos players (or anyone that would know, really) what are your favorite banners, which ones are actually useful?