PDA

View Full Version : Dwarf Calvary

nasty_little_hobbit
07-04-2008, 13:17
:eek:
Hey guys Only just signed onto the forum and just got back into warhammer after few years break from the game so first of all like to say Hi to everyone =]
Anyways back to the topic. Now I know from the title it seems as crazy however Ive been having a few ideas after looking through the batttle for skull pass set (mainly at the seemingly useless pony cart )
I was wondering.... would it be possible for dwarfs to have their own calvary unit? Now many of you here will probably be thinking *boo hiss heretic* but it could be logical... dwarfs use pony to cart goods up and down mines so why wouldnt a particular excentric dwarf use these ponys to patrol the endless mines they enhabit.
With this in mind I was thinking that I may convert a unit to ride the ponies, what do you guys tihnk?
They wouldnt be particularly fast compared to other calvary eg movement 5/6,would carry a dwarf with light armour/hw/shield and cost around 18/19 pts.
Anyone else thought of this idea or is it just a youngblood gone mad after being reapeatdly flanked by pesky spider riders!?
Hope see what all your responces are =]
Ho

theunwantedbeing
07-04-2008, 13:23
Dwarves walk everywhere, they dont like not having solid ground under their feet.
ergo, dwarves dont ride horses or ponies or whatever.

Sounds like you've just gone mad to me.
You can always just deploy wider units like 8 or 9 wide of warriors, that's a good 16-18cm wide, 3 of those type units doesnt cost "that" much when you have them 3 ranks deep and they're be hugely problematic to shift and make a great flanking guard.
You cant flank the enemy if there's another unit in the way.

It's the skaven way...just take so many men you have a wall of troops that stretches the entire width of the battlefield, now you cant get flanked!

Dogs of war cavalry is the other option.

Aflo
07-04-2008, 13:23
If it fits your army, go for it. Only the most stubborn of Fluff-Monkeys would have a go at a nicely converted set of figures that go with an army's theme and even then, who cares?

I'd strongly reccomend simply using Dogs of War light/heavy cavalry instead of making your own rules up, unless of course you play with a relaxed group of buddies. If it's the latter case, run it through them pre-game and see if they're cool with it - converting your minis is one thing but making up rules is completly another.

Cheers
Adam

Chiron
07-04-2008, 13:26
Dwarf Calvary

Always look on the bright side of life... dudoodudoo de doodedoo :angel:

Dwarves should clearly have steam tanks, but then the cries of horror from other players would overload the internet

scarletsquig
07-04-2008, 13:29
The last idea I had for this involved grossly obese dwarfs, who, no longer able to walk, had to be pulled along in carts by ponies, while poking the enemy with big spears. They'd have shaved their beards due to the shame of their gluttony and be seeking a noble death in combat.

Essentially mini-chariots.. front rank of ponies, back rank of fat psycho dwarves in carts.

Alternatively, just have the fat dwarfs in carts and add little steam engines and a gearstick to them. :p

In my opinion, sanity is detrimental to creativity. *cackles about empire clockwork pigeons and power monkey suicide bombers*

Arguleon-veq
07-04-2008, 14:12
I dont like the idea of mounted Dwarfs, I just dont think its practical for Dwargs to actually GET ON a horse lol.

I do like Battle Cart ideas though, pulled by some kind of giant badger [no Imnot even joking]. A cart/chariot would allow the Dwarfs to get on easier.

Has anyone here played the Battle for Middle Earth Games. The Dwarf Battle Wagons in that is along the lines Im thinking. Its a cart pulled by some kind of tunnel/underground beast thats quite hard, in the back they have axe throwers or dwarfs with spears.

No idea what youd use for the badger thing though. The Ursan model painted like a badger? lol.

Tiamat
07-04-2008, 15:33
I recall, years and years back (15-20), there being Dwarven Boar riders, at least in one of the early version of Fantasy Roleplay, the cover of one of the Doomstone source books.
I definitely remember seeing images of it, but that was before I started playing, like I say years ago, so we're probably looking 1st or 2nd edition.
Holy Wan Kenobi I'm old!

Famder
07-04-2008, 15:48
IF it is ever done it hase to be on a mule or donkey rather than a pony. Only a mule or donkey could match the stubborness of a dwarf on the battle field.

Leogun_91
07-04-2008, 16:00
Dwarves should clearly have steam tanks, but then the cries of horror from other players would overload the internet

The rules for the Steam Tank states "all difficult terrain counts as impassable",,,, now imagine how effective it would be high up in the mountains.

For the OP that is undwarfen and so excentric dwarfs would be outcasts and not recognized by their hold...As outcasts the idea could fit as a RoR unit that may be hired by all but O&G, Brettonians and Dwarfs.

The cart idea could be worth to reconsider and even if the Dwarfs hardly would make a wagon for war (its always best to have solid ground under your feet) even a trade wagon could be a dangerous tool of destruction if it is really well built (and dwarfs builds things very well)

Necromancer2
07-04-2008, 16:02
Although Dwarfs would use pony, mule,donkey to move things and possibly travel.. Dwarfs would never ride on them in battle simply because they are not experts on mounts and would do more harm then good.

Urgat
07-04-2008, 20:18
Buggies! dwarfs will have buggy mounts in W:AR, and I'm willing to bet we will see some sort of cameo some day in the tabletop game. After all, dwarfs have gyrocopters, airships, ironclad ships, so why not a steam charriot?
I'm also willing to bet this will be highly frowned upon by many.

Drong
07-04-2008, 21:37
The rules for the Steam Tank states "all difficult terrain counts as impassable",,,, now imagine how effective it would be high up in the mountains.

True, it's like on page 16 in the rulebook where it mentions sand dunes as difficult terrain.. I wonder how many chariots tomb kings have when they start a raid and when they get to the place they're gonna raid :evilgrin:

larabic
07-04-2008, 22:07
If they were going to get anything i think it would be ram riders (mountain goats) and the movement would only be 6 inches so they don't flee or persue 3d6... just the normal 2d6. Cavalry without being cavalry :D

Valadar
07-04-2008, 22:44
If there were any dwarven cavalry, it would have to be a rare unit, one that would be mechanical. I could imagine some type of mounted and mobile weaponry, kind of like a small steam train with say 3-4 linked wagons that could each have a different type of weapon on it with a dwarf controlling them like turrets....although then it wouldn't be much like cavalry at all.

unforgiven555
07-04-2008, 22:58
I was wondering.... would it be possible for dwarfs to have their own calvary unit?

No. I think you're playing the wrong army if you want calvary. Dwarves are slow. They entrench themselves in one place, and blast the enemy to pieces until they get into HTH combat were (hopefully) they're small enough for the dwarven units to defeat.

It's less about the negativity of the idea of dwarves on calvary (although I do point you to the example of Gimli, and his expert riding skills) and more about the fact that the army's biggest weakness is movement. They have the gyrocopter as some sort of arial support - but its a war machine, rare, and can't take out units on its own. Giving dwarves access to M6 would change how the army plays entirely. Dwarves are slow.

biggreengribbly
07-04-2008, 23:16
Two words for those of you seeking Dwarven Cavalry.

War. Marmots.

Those of you who were there for the early days of Warmachine will know what I'm talking about :evilgrin:

rodmillard
07-04-2008, 23:48
I'm using the ponies from the miners box set, together with some dwarf cannons, to do my own version of the Bronzino's Galloper Guns RoR. It's hardly game breaking, given that it basically gives me mobile cannons in an army that's already cannon heavy. I'm slightly stuck, however, for how to do Bronzino himself. I could do something with the empire mechanical steed, but I really dislike the concept.

That said, I know where I can get a squat biker on ebay...

Grand Warlord
08-04-2008, 00:02
I think a mech type looking unit would be cool cav.

Darwin_green
08-04-2008, 00:02
what's wrong with you people!?

I was actually of thinking of using the grudge pony for something similar.

you could use them as heavy calvary with barding to have a "slow" movement of 7.

Or you could play them as ogres?

though i can dig the Galloper gun idea too.

Jack of Blades
08-04-2008, 00:19
The name's CAVALRY!

Anyway, in the name of the fluff bunnies that aren't drones, I say yes! Dwarf Cavalry can be allowed. But you'd have to make it unique to your clan, of course.

Cortomaltese
08-04-2008, 01:03
in italy many many years ago there was a Wh clone called "fantasy warriors".. there dwarves were riding boars.. and i still have a dozen models, using them as unit fillers or so on..
i think that Dwarven Chavalry in GW world is something mad and really unfits the Background..
anyway i really love your ideas as conversions.. then you can always use it as CountAs units..
the wagon with a machinegun can be easily used as an organ, the fat dwarves as ogres, or even as DoW bronzino's ..
i want to see them done! eheh..

treben1234
08-04-2008, 02:02
Bear Cavelry. Thoe I rather see choas dwarfs with it.

brettz123
08-04-2008, 02:18
Standard fantasy mounts for dwarves are bears. I think it would be cool but since it is not in the rules I would say you should convert up a unit of Dogs of War but just mount dwarves on the horses or ponies or whatever you want to use.

catbarf
08-04-2008, 02:32
What's all this crap about Dwarfs never wanting to leave the ground? Gyrocopters certainly prove that there are the more eccentric Dwarfs who would be perfectly willing to do such a thing.

cornixt
08-04-2008, 05:13
*cough* BULL CENTAURS *cough*

larabic
08-04-2008, 05:59
No. I think you're playing the wrong army if you want calvary. Dwarves are slow. They entrench themselves in one place, and blast the enemy to pieces until they get into HTH combat were (hopefully) they're small enough for the dwarven units to defeat.

It's less about the negativity of the idea of dwarves on calvary (although I do point you to the example of Gimli, and his expert riding skills) and more about the fact that the army's biggest weakness is movement. They have the gyrocopter as some sort of arial support - but its a war machine, rare, and can't take out units on its own. Giving dwarves access to M6 would change how the army plays entirely. Dwarves are slow.

According to this reasoning the new VC book wouldn't have been made.. and it seems that the new trend is giving new units to every army that fill a gap that was there before, i wouldn't be surprised if they tried it... i douobt they will but i wouldn't be surprised.

Orcs and goblins: Spider riders (mobile, cheap and useful)
Empire: Rocket launcher (large scale mass destruction -potential)
High Elves: Lion chariot (fear causing and strong CC skills)
Vampire Counts: Blood Knights (vampires, very strong heavy hitters)

Who knows what new units await?

Darwin_green
08-04-2008, 06:04
its pretty silly that there are established standards in fantasy.

I expect these kinda arguments in historical wargames.

Gabacho Mk.II
08-04-2008, 06:05
If they were going to get anything i think it would be ram riders (mountain goats) and the movement would only be 6 inches so they don't flee or persue 3d6... just the normal 2d6. Cavalry without being cavalry :D

Well, we hadddd ram riders that we (as in our gaming group) came up with for 5th ed. For found actual models with Dwarfs (or were they 'gnomes'?) from another miniature company that I cannot currently remember...

Stats and points would be something along the lines of:

Dwarf rider - standard Dwarf stats
Dwarf ram-
M - 5
Ws - 3
S - 3
T - //
I - 2
A - 1
Ld - //

0-1 Rare unit
Unit Size - 5+ models
19pts @ model
40pts for Full Command
etc...

Heck, you give it a try!:skull:

Urgat
08-04-2008, 08:38
THIS is a dwarf mount:
http://warhammer.tentonhammer.com/files/gallery/albums/album137/Ale_Powerd_Mount.jpg

Though I would give it only to hero choices, I wouldn't make a unit out of it.

piotrov
08-04-2008, 09:08
If you go the Bear Cavalry route (which is what I'd recommend...), here's some possible minis to get you started:

Bear Rider (http://www.reapermini.com/store/customer/product.php?productid=307&cat=0&page=4)
Bear Rider Commander (http://www.reapermini.com/store/customer/product.php?productid=398&cat=0&page=1)
Female Bear Rider! (http://www.reapermini.com/store/customer/product.php?productid=5066&cat=0&page=1)

I'm pretty sure Foundry Miniatures also has a few different bear miniatures available as well, if you want to make your own riders. Good luck! :)

unforgiven555
08-04-2008, 09:35
Orcs and goblins: Spider riders (mobile, cheap and useful)
Empire: Rocket launcher (large scale mass destruction -potential)
High Elves: Lion chariot (fear causing and strong CC skills)
Vampire Counts: Blood Knights (vampires, very strong heavy hitters)

Umm... note that none of these new units radically change the playstyle of the army. They are simply upgrades to previously existing units. The armies had something very similar available, with slightly different rules (ie. wolf riders, mortar, tiranoc chariot (pheonix guard caused fear) and black knights with a blood dragon vampire lord.

Calvary would radically change the way dwarves play - from a slow infantry based army with excellent seige weaponry support - to an offensive army with seige weapon support.

Urgat
08-04-2008, 10:12
http://fr.games-workshop.com/storefront/store.fr?do=Individual&code=99110999107&orignav=300808

You got that mount, too, and it's an official GW mini too :p

snyggejygge
08-04-2008, 13:43
Id say go for it, if well executed it will look very cool on the tabletop & you can easily just use them ass DoW Heavy Cavalry, not game breaking, not great, but opens up a few new tactical choices & gives you a cool new unit.