PDA

View Full Version : Forgeworld In Apocalypse Games - Worth The Pounds?

doomscape
07-04-2008, 17:38
Hi all - my first post here but a long time Warhammer player (Rogue Trader days, how we miss you) and I recently came to realize that my Imperial Guard army needs something...special. I haven't bought the new plastic Baneblade yet, but since every twelve year old in my local gaming store has one, it's not really what I'm looking for. Then I went to Forgeworld, and had a gander at their tanks. I like what I see but I'm not sure what to get - I'd like it to be good in Apocalypse games, granted, but not necessarily a superheavy, and I'm always more interested in how it looks than how it performs. If anyone's used the models, which did you find to be both worth their points and remarkably interesting to see on the battlefield? Any help is appreciated - thanks in advance!

EVIL INC
07-04-2008, 18:23
I would say that it is up to YOU as to whether or not it is worth your money.
1. Do you have the cash to spend on it?
2. How often do you plan on using it?
3. Do you "display" your army when it is not in use?
To me, it is not worth it but thats because I simply do not have the money. Now if I had the cash to spare and did not need it for bills/or other more needed stuff, it would be.

doomscape
07-04-2008, 18:37
Money's not an object here, though I appreciate that it should probably be counted as one. I do display the army on a regular basis, they protect the kitchen :rolleyes:

I'm really mostly interested in whether any of the tanks in particular are worth the points, perform effectively and all that, while being something you don't normally see - so, not the plastic baneblade, the vanquisher turret is something I see a lot of too. Cheers!

Killgore
07-04-2008, 18:56
Want to make the 12 year olds with BaneBlades cry?

A FW shadowsword titan hunter superheavy tank will see to that :D

I'd go for something unusual like a Marauder bomber or destroyer, death from the skys and it looks great

Tommygun
07-04-2008, 19:04
I think the Death Korp version of the Exterminator is both a good looking tank and a good use of points. The best looking tank Forge World makes, I think, is the Vulcan armed Macharius, but the points are better spent some where else if you are a power gamer.

Archangel_Ruined
07-04-2008, 19:12
You could get the forgeworld upgrade kit for the plastic baneblade, then you'd have a shadowsword, and you don't see many of them around. Also, they are fantastic for apocalypse games as they're the bane of superheavies the galaxy over. If money is no object buy a squadron of them... No, I jest, but they're pretty unique and very useful when facing lots of (relatively common, these days) baneblades.

RCgothic
07-04-2008, 20:51
I love the Macharius and both its variants. It's a superb looking tank.

Personally I think the Shadowsword and Stormblade are overcosted for their weapons compared to the Baneblade. A shadowsword has a quarter of the armaments of a Warhound Titan at more than hald the cost.

Epicenter
07-04-2008, 23:42
Why yes, they certainly are. Both in looks and in effectiveness.

The no-brainer choices to buy from FW are flyers. If everyone has a big tank, fly over it. One Marauder bomber or Thunderbolt can make all the difference in a game. Even if they don't do that much damage themselves, the freak-out factor from having these vehicle zooming around the board is enough.

DKK field artillery is quite possibly the most powerful addition any IG player can make to his or her force. Superheavies look awesome, but if you're going for units that are effective on the battlefield, get Heavy Mortar batteries with Infernus Shells. Your standard IG can tackle heavy tanks - endless ranks of lascannon will see to that. Killing trick infantry can be a pain both in 40k and in Apocalypse, though. That's where the Heavy Mortar comes in. They won't necessarily kill anything (except horde armies), but the Infernus effect means you have a poor man's Lash of Submission effect to push units out of cover (especially to get JSJ'ing Tau suits into the open). However, unlike Lash of Submission, these things come three to a choice and in theory you could have nine going in a standard IG army. However, the king of DKK effectiveness for standard IG in my opinion has to be the Medusa artillery piece (the DKK one that looks like a WW1 artillery piece, not the tracked one which is worthless). The same minimum range as a Whirlwind (ie; superior to a basilisk) with the power to insta-kill Broadsides on a successful hit from outside of Railgun range? Irdium Armor this, Tau commander. The ability to wipe out entire squads of Obliterators from outside of their weapon range? Yes, yes, I think so. Unlike the heavy mortar batteries, I think the Medusa field gun looks suitably menacing as well.

On the other hand, who cares if it's BS3. Who cares if it's smaller than Baneblade. The Macharius Vulcan still brings a tear to my eye - because quantity (of shots) has a quality of its own.

Scharnhorst
07-04-2008, 23:50
Want to make the 12 year olds with BaneBlades cry?

A FW shadowsword titan hunter superheavy tank will see to that :D

I'd go for something unusual like a Marauder bomber or destroyer, death from the skys and it looks great

No, Instead of the shadowsword, get the eldar scorpion. 2 shots of strength D fun instead of one? Yes please, Skimmer moving fast so its unkillable as a bonus? Hell yeah, not only can it one shot a baneblade, its also near unkillable!

edit: if you run the scorpion, a truly evil thing to do is to run a sunstorm squadron behind it. Strength D apocalyptic barrages? enemy armor gets wiped off the board mighty quick.

Easy E
07-04-2008, 23:52
Why yes, they certainly are. Both in looks and in effectiveness.

The no-brainer choices to buy from FW are flyers. If everyone has a big tank, fly over it. One Marauder bomber or Thunderbolt can make all the difference in a game. Even if they don't do that much damage themselves, the freak-out factor from having these vehicle zooming around the board is enough.

Which for Apoc games I recommend a Hydra or a Manticore for AA duty. I personally think the Manticore is a pretty neat piece of kit, and versatile.

Adra
08-04-2008, 00:29
a titan is always an option....

shaso_iceborn
08-04-2008, 00:36
well the reaver titan will be 1200 usd and coming out soon that will scare any baneblade

Feor
08-04-2008, 01:05
well the reaver titan will be 1200 usd and coming out soon that will scare any baneblade

Understatement of the thread. :p

Khornies & milk
08-04-2008, 01:23

Yea but for the same cost you can get multiple BB's.
The FW models are great but not worth the cost, for me anyway. The GW BB is good enough for me to have, and if you take the time to convert it, you will have something that looks a lot different to most of the other ones out there.
I'm also building an AC list and I'm getting some of the FW Leman Russ Turrets, to give them a 'point of difference' to normal ones, and I can see a value in these Turrets as they're reasonably priced to me.

But hey, everyone's 'value' perceptions are different, so if you want FW Tanks then buy FW Tanks....seems pretty easy to me.

shaso_iceborn
08-04-2008, 01:30
Yea but for the same cost you can get multiple BB's.
The FW models are great but not worth the cost, for me anyway. The GW BB is good enough for me to have, and if you take the time to convert it, you will have something that looks a lot different to most of the other ones out there.
I'm also building an AC list and I'm getting some of the FW Leman Russ Turrets, to give them a 'point of difference' to normal ones, and I can see a value in these Turrets as they're reasonably priced to me.

But hey, everyone's 'value' perceptions are different, so if you want FW Tanks then buy FW Tanks....seems pretty easy to me.

True in my case I am converting a hovering skimmer based one that is armed with a "heavy railgun" only for the fun of it though and it's really just a couple of devilfish and plasticard highly converted

Lord Cook
08-04-2008, 01:34
Which for Apoc games I recommend a Hydra or a Manticore for AA duty. I personally think the Manticore is a pretty neat piece of kit, and versatile.

I second the Manticore. Relatively cheap in points, very powerful in the game, unique model, looks great, what more could you want? You can even use it in regular IG armies outside of Apocalypse.

RCgothic
08-04-2008, 01:50
If I were taking a flyer, first thing I'd do would be to hit a Hydra or Manticore with several Helstrike missiles the turn the flyer arrives. Not much defence against that.

CaptainSenioris
08-04-2008, 02:09
Why not use the FW 'Emperor's Thunder' datasheet from Imperial Armour Apocalypse and buy 3(or 9:D) Bombards. That'll not only scare the living daylights outta everyone on the field, it is a suitably unique FW model that I don't see often in apocalypse games.

doomscape
08-04-2008, 19:07
Wow, thanks for all the great replies!

I'm a big fan now of the Manticore, having read its rules, but I'm also really, really in love with the Leman Russ Executioner - the one with the big ol' plasma cannon for a turret. Is the thing any good? I thought it might be neat to run with my IG, who are all first/second edition metals and suitably old enough to have one of these tanks kicking around.

I don't know that I saw any bombards, I'll have to keep looking. Anyone got any good ways to actually convert one of the plastic baneblades? I want a shadowsword more than a baneblade, really, and would love to not spend all that extra money if conversion were an option.

Thanks again!!

Darktheos
08-04-2008, 19:22
ONE of the guys where I play took the baneblade, a bulked out sanitary device tube and started his shadowsword that way.

ServanoTomasin
08-04-2008, 20:38
I think FW stuff fits in well with Apoc guard armies. I've had 9 apoc battles with my guard with various (and hilarious) outcomes thanks to FW.

Tank wise: I only use the "normal" leman russ /chimera variants, no super-heavies. Personally, I think that unless you want the 1st SS German Baneblade division, you don't take super heavies. Also because I can't be bothered to buy and build them. I might make an eccpetion for the shadow sword, its a pretty tank.
You asked about the Executioner. After the battles I've used it in, I've re-named it the "Super-fun-happy-plasma" tank (you're supposed to sound like Homer Simpson from the Tree House OF Horrors where everyone turns into a vampire when you say that :D).
Anyway...the executioner is incredibly fun to use. 5 of them is better :D. (I don't have 5 I borrowed 3 from my mates) I mean the plasma gun is a good 2"all rounder" and with a hull lascannon its a mean anti-monster/heavy tank hunter.
Vanquishers and destroyers mean you can take out pretty much anything, and the sight of an entire destroyer platoon taking to the field will really scare enemy tanks (and I'm happy that 4 people were selling their FW tanks so cheap on eBay :D)
Atlas Recovery tanks are my personal favourite, I mean come on, you can tow enemy tanks around the battlefield! Push all the enemy tanks into a swamp/of a cliff!
Massed tanks are fun, the FW rules make it better.

Planes - I can't really comment, as I have 2 wooden thunderbolts and 1 lightning attack, which so far have only seen 2 battle fields (between them). They scare your opponent, but with pintle mounts counting as AA mounts, you can kiss your planes good bye. Dogfights are fun.

Artillery: I only have 1 bombard and 1 thuddgun. So as you can tell, I'm not an artillery man. However, I can confirm that FW artillery guns are leathal. To everyone. Given all the imperial side's artillery in 1 apoc battle, and in turn one I annihilated : 50% of our infantry, 75% of our tank force all our air defence, 2 mortar platoons, 2 enemy tanks and 26 enemy troops. Great! :D All I will say is that the enemy was very pleased by my actions and I was offered several new jobs....

However, I can happily say that FW tanks in apoc are definatly worth the cash, whether you buy from Fw or eBay.

S.T