PDA

View Full Version : need some insight from the community

Fay_Redd
07-04-2008, 19:28
well howdy, im here today to ask you for some input. i have been considering starting Space Marines, i have been zenos and had barely any armour for too long. i ask, do you think i should wait for 5th ed SM or just go for it. thnx much.

Adiem
07-04-2008, 19:49
If it was me, I'd wait - it sounds like there's an outside chance that there'll be new models released, and I always like to have the newest models I can (I'm odd like that..)

Fay_Redd
07-04-2008, 19:56
"I always like to have the newest models I can (I'm odd like that..)"

you are not odd, thats called shiney syndrome. almost everyone suffers from it, lol.

sigur
07-04-2008, 19:57
I think it's pretty safe to suggest you get a commander, two tactical squads, a squad of Scouts and pretty much everything else you like to have. I don't think that they'll redo much of the SM range when the new codex is released.

Victomorga
07-04-2008, 20:04
I agree with sigur. I don't see them reworking the basic plastic sprues any time soon, and even if they do, those models are so customizable they won't look lousy or outdated.

buy yourself a couple of tac squads and a commander, and maybe a scout or terminator squad. that should keep you busy until 5th ed. comes out in a few months.

take19
07-04-2008, 20:32
Well, if your looking at armour and go for a couple of dreadnoughts, buy them from forgeworld, that way they'll be cool, and always up to date :)

By the by, what time is the new SM codex set for release?

Chem-Dog
07-04-2008, 21:31
I think it's pretty safe to suggest you get a commander, two tactical squads, a squad of Scouts and pretty much everything else you like to have. I don't think that they'll redo much of the SM range when the new codex is released.

Agreed, the only thing I would say hold off on is Bikes, couldn't say if they are getting a refit BUT they are just about the oldest thing in the SM range now.

Culven
07-04-2008, 23:03
I would say if you want to start an army, do so. The only advantage to waiting would be that you could save some money and buy a pile of sets all at once and you could plan your army list, possibly trying a few games with some loaner units.

Adra
07-04-2008, 23:27
i dout that we will see new tanks for SM and even if we do see upgrades they will be minimal. probably 6 of 1, half a dozen of the other.

Moriarty
07-04-2008, 23:30
Armour is for pansies. Go Ork.

dblaz3r
08-04-2008, 08:10
Armour is for pansies. Go Ork.

'ere 'ere :evilgrin:

Sceleris82
08-04-2008, 08:31
Go for it man.

Fay_Redd
08-04-2008, 08:32
I IZ AN ORK YA GROT. DEY I FINK IZ BY FAR DA BEST ARMY IN 40K BUT IZ BE WANTIN' SOME OF DAT SHINEY POWER ARMOUR TOO. thnx for the input warseer doodz, it shall come in very handy. however i think i still have a good amount of orks to keep me entertained so ill wait.

AND SCELERIS82 I WOULD LIKE TO FORMALLY POINT OUT TO YOU THAT IM A GIRL, K.

onlainari
08-04-2008, 10:12
I wouldn't wait for 5th edition.

But I don't believe 5th edition is coming anytime soon.

battle captain corpus
08-04-2008, 10:37
Just go for it, you have nothing to lose and you'll be able to play 5th with them anyway, just make sure you make up 5 and 10 man squads for now maybe. Other than that play play play away! :)

==Me==
08-04-2008, 13:04
Since the new Codex is probably going to be like the DA/BA rules (Codex adherent and fluffy), just go with all the fluffy choices. 5 or 10 man Tactical, Assault, and Devastator Squads, 5 man Terminator Squads, Company Captains/Librarians/Chaplains, and cheap vehicles. I doubt any of those models will be redone, unless they put out a plastic Chappy/Libby and a special smurf box.

If you really wanted a leg up, use the DA rules as they'll probably be the closest to the new SM rules.

MaliGn
08-04-2008, 13:10
Combat Squad rules should be easy enough to stick to since Space Marines come in boxes of five or ten anyway....