PDA

View Full Version : Help me get back into 40K!

TwilightOdyssey
07-04-2008, 19:33
Hi all,

I've been slowly losing my momentum with 40K. When Apocalypse came out I was so jazzed and started putting together a combined Eldar/Rogue Trader force.

But then ... slowly ... stopped playing games. I've not played a single 40K game in 2-3 months now.

I love the game and still think 40K is the best 'board game' ever invented.

So, if anyone has an interesting scenario to play or scenery project that can help re-inspire me, I'd love to hear it!!

Adiem
07-04-2008, 19:48
Have you got enough space where you live to build a gaming table? I'd love to do that...

Victomorga
07-04-2008, 20:00
there was a thread a little while back asking how often people actually play 40k. most people play very rarely, spending far more time painting, modelling, and posting on warseer.

don't worry if you haven't gotten a game going in a while. you'll get back into the swing of things.

if you're looking for something to get you excited about the hobby again, you might want to try building some new terrain, or starting a second army.

mattieice
07-04-2008, 20:06
maybe try to get a few mates together to start a campaign... that's what got me back into WHFB.

take19
07-04-2008, 20:50
I always like writing lots of different army lists, and fine tuning them to perfection.

- Human
07-04-2008, 22:07
I always like writing lots of different army lists, and fine tuning them to perfection

Interesting. I find that excessive list making drives me crazy and turns me off the hobby. I like trying new things from a modelling and painting perspective when I need to re-start my motivation.

TwilightOdyssey
08-04-2008, 15:50
Thanks so much for the helpful hints!

I'm hoping to get Harry The Hammer when it is released and make a diorama. Hopefully, that'll spark the engine again!!

Metaphorazine
08-04-2008, 16:02
Play something a little different to your usual style of game, maybe? I'm keen as to do a 40kified version of the orks v empire battle in the last WD, with some horrible steam powered ramming tank on the orks side crawling up the board. :D

CommisarMolotov
08-04-2008, 16:06
Why not try fitting in a game or two of "40K in 40 minutes" during lunch-time this week? It's a great way to ease back into the hobby...

Chem-Dog
08-04-2008, 16:18
Have a look at this part of Warseer >http://warseer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=20
I find it a massive inspiration :)

I'd be interested to know how many friends you have who play, Myself and a couple of friends started a Gaming Club, it's rather small with an average turnout of 4-5 people but it means we all get a game or two every week. We do it in a Pub, which is always nice ;)
As an off shoot to playing the same people (same armies) on a regular basis we've tried some alternative stuff to keep us ammused, give Comabt Patrol a punt, it's actually quite a challenge when all of those bigh beefy units you rely on to make the difference are otherwise occupied. Look into playing KillTeam too, it's bats but fun (plus Eldar with their high initiative rule when they play brutes ;)).

Lastly, don't dispare, most of us have a "down" period where nothing get's your gaming juices running, go with it, do other stuff as forcing won't help BUT absence does make the heart grow fonder!

oni
08-04-2008, 16:45
I haven't played since 2nd edition. :)

Eventually you catch the bug again. It may take some time (me for example), but eventually a spark of remembrance will lead you back. :)

Skeltergeist
08-04-2008, 19:06
I haven't played a game in nearly 2 years, but recently i've started getting back into it. I guess the inspiration just comes and goes now and then.

Eldarion
08-04-2008, 19:20
Man i havn't played in about 2 years, i've been go'in out more;)
Just keep checkin up on sites like these, that what i do to keep my hobby motivated.

Adra
09-04-2008, 00:17
i havent played in about 9 months but i find that my focus is moving from the game to the painting anyway. im sure at some point ill go back and love the game but no time soon....gotta get converting ;)

Grimbad
09-04-2008, 00:48
I think a wrecked titan (or gargant) would be a great scenery project.

Captain Micha
09-04-2008, 01:06
A Tau kill team, investigating a space hulk.

For me it took a looking over forgeworld recently and looking at my current human auxiliary jump troops (converted guard) and looking at the Elysian drop trooper packs, and some kreig models to come up with a better conversion.

Repzik
09-04-2008, 03:23
what always gets me back into the game is picking out a model, and then spending hours upon end painting it, noticing every little detal and taking care to make it look great! id try to pick a model that you would use, so showcase your work in battle. also, i suggest you get involved in a local gaming club. just drop by a local gaming store and see if they have a 40k club and when they meet. most gaming clubs are friendly and willing to have new people join

TwilightOdyssey
09-04-2008, 16:42
Some really nice/helpful comments by all so far! Thanks!!

The Guy
09-04-2008, 16:53
I have't had a game in almost a year so here's what I normally do.

Repaint an army. Try to make it look even better than before. You get a good feeling out of that.

Buy some random models. Make them as dynamic and exciting as possible. Then paint them as well as you can.

Convert. make some of your better units stand out more. Try experimenting with different models and positions.

Play games with yourself. Sure not as fun and I'm the only person I know that does it but you can get some decent campaigns out of it. You can even edit the rules for it. some campaings I've done with myself:
A campaign based on aliens with a squad of imperial guard trying not to get eaten.
A platoon of catachans winding up on the planet from Turok.
a zombie apocalypse hits a hive world and guard units attempts to contain and escape.

Just a few tips.

biggreengribbly
09-04-2008, 17:44
Father forgive me for I have sinned. It has been three years since I last played a game of 40k..

sorry, couldn't resist :evilgrin: