PDA

View Full Version : Titans and the Obliterator Virus

TheRedStar
07-04-2008, 19:14
In terms of fluff and otherwise, would it be reasonable to assume that the Obliterator Virus could infect a Titan? I gather that the virus allows an afflicted warrior to absorb and form any weapon they have held for a length of time; which could maybe be applied to a Titan, couldn't it?

For examples sake lets use the Warhound Titan.

The Warhound defeats an enemy Titan, then through some arcane process absorbs the weapons of the enemy Titan (of the same variant - Warhound in this case). This would allow it to form that weapon in place of its current weapon, but reassume the previous weapon or the new one whenever it wished.

There is also the matter of how it got the virus. I was thinking maybe the Princeps had fallen to Chaos, had become infected with the virus, and it had passed into the Titan (since in effect the Princeps and the Titan become one) during battle or otherwise.

Would this be acceptable as fluff for an "Obliterator Titan"?

The reason I'm asking is becasue I was struck suddenly with a thought of a Titan that could form any weapon it pleased. I was planning on writing rules based on the Chaos Warhound Titan, but with a rule similar to that of The Obliterator's (in the Chaos Marine Codex), where it can choose any two Warhound weapons available to it (but not ones that require bullets of bolts etc).

Thoughts?

DapperAnarchist
07-04-2008, 20:00
Sound rare, but reasonable. Chaos Titans get possessed on occasion, so I assume they could undergo that odd possession/infection thing that the Obliterators have...

chinnfrequent
07-04-2008, 20:00
I'm pretty sure a virus, which infects life forms, can not infect a giant robot.

The pilots on the other hand...

Bigbot
07-04-2008, 20:07
If the Princeps was posessed into the hull of the titan and then infected with the obliterator virus I can't see why not

Lord Inquisitor
07-04-2008, 20:14
Well, the new Chaos Codex has moved away from the idea that Oblierators are the product of a virus and more that they are techmarines that have done this to themselves.

Then again, IIRC in Storm of Iron the Chaos Marines possessed a craft that was essentially a tyranid ship infected with the virus?

In any case... if you are actually planning to make an obliterator titan model (a friend of mine once made daemon-prince-sized obliterators to use as dreadnoughts), whether for 40K or Epic, then that sounds really cool! (Needless to say that just using the idea to make a titan that can select weapons without a converted model would be less so).

You might even add some kind of rules to allow them to heal back damage faster (somehow I think the obliterators should be able to regrow damage...)

Khaine's Messenger
08-04-2008, 02:30
In terms of fluff and otherwise, would it be reasonable to assume that the Obliterator Virus could infect a Titan?

It could "infect" the Titan's crew, at which point the whole thing could become a gigantic gestalt hive-mind of its crew members. On the whole, not all that different from a normal "chaos" Titan, except fewer squid tentacles and more dakka. There wouldn't be much absorption beyond the men into the machine, though, since all the mess about them being able to absorb weapons probably wouldn't spread to the outer dermal layers of the Titan. Woe betide anyone who tries a "boarding action" on a larger Titan with such a crew, though....

not ones that require bullets of bolts

Why not? Obliterators have bullets for blood. The Warp is just messed up.

Any which way, the effect you describe doesn't really require the Obliterator Virus as such. If you like, you can get creative and make it a tad more limber than normal titans of its class, with actual manipulators that let it swap out Titan-scale weapons. Crazy, yo. It's Chaos. "Men don't deserve to die this way!" ;)

Chaplain of Chaos
08-04-2008, 07:37
One could see corrupted warp flesh growing from the empyrean to fill out the gaps. Thus I could see a massive seething mountain of chaos corrupted flesh and metal turning into a Obliterator Titan.

TheRedStar
08-04-2008, 18:18
Why not? Obliterators have bullets for blood. The Warp is just messed up.
Well, I was reall just staying with the current Obliterator fluff - in that they can only manifest weapons that don't actually require bullets or bolts in order for them to work. So I would've just used the enery-based weapons and that. Would mean anyone else who used my rules couldn't just go "Terminator Squad? Meet 30 VMB shots". Of course there are other, better weapons that could be manifested in pairs. :evilgrin:

I'll maybe have a go at converting one then. I'll need to (buy/scratch-build) a Warhound first though - but when I do, I'll replace it arms with a a pair more akin to those of an Obliterator (ie, guns pretty much sticking out of every possible location).

I might also include the healing factor suggested by Lord Inquisitor. Maybe like the Infernal Engine from the Deamon Engine Coven (IA: Apocalypse)?

Khaine's Messenger
09-04-2008, 01:32
Well, I was reall just staying with the current Obliterator fluff - in that they can only manifest weapons that don't actually require bullets or bolts in order for them to work.

Ah...wasn't aware of that. Great...now I've got four or five different versions of Oblits dancing in my head and I don't remember where they all come from! Oh well. :chrome:

RCgothic
09-04-2008, 02:03
Thirty vulcan mega-bolter shots would on average kill less than 3 terminators. Sorry for applying the mathhammer.

bambamBIGILO
09-04-2008, 02:32
I saw this guys Nurgle Titan looking around on the web, if anything would match what your thinking this is it

http://www.hivetrygon.com/cha/ntit.html

Grey Seer Skretch
09-04-2008, 13:12
I love the idea...on a slight tangent, you could do up a titan possessed by a Greater Daemon if you wanted a major converting project...just imagine a Warhound Titan (or holy poop one of the new Reavers) possessed by a Bloodthirster or Great Unclean One...dude...

El_Machinae
09-04-2008, 14:44
Thirty vulcan mega-bolter shots would on average kill less than 3 terminators. Sorry for applying the mathhammer.

But what else could it kill?

TheRedStar
09-04-2008, 17:00
An entire squad of Grots! Just make sure you hit with all of them and wound too.

I always preferred the Meltablaster from the 'lord anyways...:D

RCgothic
09-04-2008, 17:04
But what else could it kill?

16 and a bit loyalist marines in power armour!