PDA

View Full Version : 2K Vampire Counts idea - is it enough?

Treadhead_1st
07-04-2008, 23:14
Alright, here is a little evil army to nicely off-set my Bretonnians and High Elves, to give me something different to paint/play.

Please let me know what you think.

Lords

Vampire Lord: Level 3, Blood Drinker, Walach's Bloody Hauberk, Infinite Hatred & Red Fury.

Heroes

Necrarch Vampire: Hand Weapon, The Hand of Dust, Lord of the Dead, Dark Acolyte.

Lahmian Vampire: Hand Weapon, Sceptre de Noirot, Nightshroud, Beguile 25 & Hunter in the Dark.

Core

15 Skeleton Warriors: Champion & Standard Bearer.

10 Ghouls.

Special

5 Fell Bats.

12 Grave Guard: Great Weapons. Standard Bearer & Banner of the Dead Legion.

5 Knights: Barding.

Rare

Varghulf.

Cairn Wraiths - Tomb Banshee & 3 Cairn Wraiths.

1994 (6)

71 Models

Here's how it would (hopefully) work:

Lahmian Vampire scouts up the field, bringing up big Zombie units to protect her. Supported by the Knights.

Following up on this, is a wedge formed of the Ghouls and the Skeleton Warriors, with the Necrarch Vampire in the middle to raise them to a decent size. And the Hand of Dust in case anyone manages to get into CC (nasty surprise).

On the other flank is a gang of the Varghulf, Bats and Wraiths. Bats to tie up War Machines, and the Varghulf/Wraiths to tag-team enemy units (with the sheer number of attacks, most units should take a beating even with the rank bonuses).

What do you think - could it work out?

Cheers for any advice!

W0197158
08-04-2008, 00:17
Following up on this, is a wedge formed of the Ghouls and the Skeleton Warriors, with the Necrarch Vampire in the middle to raise them to a decent size.

Necrarch Vampire: Hand Weapon, The Hand of Dust, Lord of the Dead, Dark Acolyte.

I am not going to lie and tell you that I have ton of experience when it comes to playing vampires (in fact I have yet to play my own VC army yet), but one glaring weakness to my eyes is that you are expecting a single level 2vampire to raise two units of skeletons past their small starting sizes and becomes combat worthy. Unless that Lahmian can do some stunning manuvering and get past your opponent's magic phase, the zombies that you are no doubt hoping for will not help this deffiecency much. I don't know what your willing to give up to improve what I feel is a lack of rank and file troops or "anvil" if you will, but I will say giving sombody a tomblade or getting another "lord of dead" should go along way to solving this problem. Again I need to warn how inexperienced my eyes are, but do hope my opinion helps you in some way.

Treadhead_1st
08-04-2008, 11:44
I could loose the Black Knights to get a few more models into the Skellie units, or a Necromancer/Vampire to boost my magic phase more.

Trouble is I then loose one of my heavy hitters (still have Varghulf/Wraith tag-team, and the Grave Guard - but nothing on the other flank).

Do you think it's worth the loss?