PDA

View Full Version : Summer Campaign 2008... What is it?

WallyTWest
08-04-2008, 02:30
What is this summers campaign? (Other than the bell of lost souls campaign.)

Iron Father
08-04-2008, 03:25
Prolly some fantasy campaign, possibly containing nagash or something fun like that

Or maybe archaeon will try to take over the world again

GideonRavenor
08-04-2008, 10:47
One would think 40K or lotr, as we've just had a Fantasy campaign...

Yet, I've heard absolutely nuffink, and the Nemesis War was just a little bit on the pants side. I would quite like to see one this year, though, but it would be better if they brought back the forums (just for the campaign, as the others were nigh on useless).

Promethius
08-04-2008, 17:56
I've heard that there won't be one, although I would have thought that a campaign would be a good way to get everybody into the new rules. Most likely it will wait until planetstrike is released next summer.

Bregalad
08-04-2008, 19:08
A 40k campaign is due and needed. No concrete rumours have appeared three months before possible start. Would fit the current "we need no marketing as long as we can still fire staff and raise prices" policy, that doesn't work for years with the obvious results.

Still hope for something Daemon or Planetfall related though.

Havesome
08-04-2008, 22:03
Do you guys like the campaigns? It seems like so many on the forums are almost always disappointed that they were lackluster and didn't move fluff in any kind of forward direction.

Drogmir
08-04-2008, 22:36
I somewhat liked Medusa V but I felt it didn't do anything like other campaigns did.

Nemesis Crown did absolutely nothing, a crown made by a crazy dwarf of relative fame is reclaimed by dwarfs and put away.

Lame.... to say the least....

Reaver83
08-04-2008, 22:39
I've not heard anything about a summer campaign, the staff at the local stores doubt it'll happen, and i'd have thought rumours would be abound by now.

Mad Doc Grotsnik
08-04-2008, 23:18
Do you guys like the campaigns? It seems like so many on the forums are almost always disappointed that they were lackluster and didn't move fluff in any kind of forward direction.

Don't really care about moving the fluff on myself. I just enjoy my local area getting geared up for gaming. Is great as I get far more games in against a wider range of opponents.

WallyTWest
08-04-2008, 23:22
After aditional research I am lead to believe that the "Lucky 13's" campaign is their summer campaign for 2008. As a way to support apocolypse and encourage the creation of smaller gaming groups. It prety much cuts Indy retailers out of the loop..

I hate how GW refuses to acknolage their campaigns with game fluff. **** poor if you ask me. But one thing we do get out of summer campains are nice miniatures, a sense of community, a feeling of the 40K world and the ability to interact with it. (Did I mention the cool IG that are released every time?)

Sigh... If gw wants to move away from the summer campaigns then so be it.

Occulto
09-04-2008, 06:49

I like the campaigns, I just don't expect massive things to happen.

That was the problem with the EoT campaign, people assumed that it'd be some huge change where Abaddon would end up using the Golden Throne as his toilet. GW didn't exactly help with the hype ("you can help determine the fate of the universe..." etc)

Medusa was better because, at the end of the day, it didn't matter what happened to the planet. Exterminatus? Meh. Happens all the time in the fluff (and BFG games).

Unfortunately, with campaigns they tend to be fairly contrived. In order for everyone to feel included, there's the inevitable lame reasons why every race has turned up to the party.

See there's some Chaos artifact that's buried beneath the surface of an Imperial world. Abaddon needs this to destroy Cadia so he's turned up. This brings the Eldar along because the idiotic humans risk destroying reality if the artifact's not destroyed... and... I know! It turns out it's a Necron tomb world which has been infested with Orks and... um... is crucial to the Tau Empire's plans for expansion and... er... Dark Eldar want slaves... again.

Rinse and repeat.

Hellebore
09-04-2008, 07:02
Apart from which using a campaign to dictate fluff is just moronic.

What, these dozen armies that are supposed to be evenly balanced and matched fought to a 50/50 stand-still? Who'd a thunk it. :rolleyes:

Those who want perfect balance in their army lists are also the first to whinge if a campaign didn't change the universe, completely ignoring the fact that, asssuming balance is good, nothing will ever happen precisely BECAUSE balance is good.

Unless one entire 'side' has ALL the best generals on the planet fighting for it, all the battles will simply even out in the end.

Hellebore

DonkeyMan
09-04-2008, 08:44
Agree with Occulto here (by the way, great Avatar).

All these "HUGE" storychanging campaigns where flawed from the beginning. The outcoming Fluff never represented the outcoming results (and it wasn't possible really).

I like the idea of Campaigns, but let it take place on planets or provinces that no matter the outcome WON'T change the universe.

At least we can match up the Fluff with the Results then.

Though, yes they could use a bit more creativity regarding the scenarios.
I loved the old "boxed" Campaign Sets that didn't include all armies. Wish GW would do something like this again.

Templar Ben
09-04-2008, 10:47

What, these dozen armies that are supposed to be evenly balanced and matched fought to a 50/50 stand-still? Who'd a thunk it. :rolleyes:

Those who want perfect balance in their army lists are also the first to whinge if a campaign didn't change the universe, completely ignoring the fact that, asssuming balance is good, nothing will ever happen precisely BECAUSE balance is good.

Unless one entire 'side' has ALL the best generals on the planet fighting for it, all the battles will simply even out in the end.

Hellebore

Wouldn't that be presuming that everyone showed up with the same size army? That rarely happens in life.

General Nathan Bedford Forrest said that victory goes to "...whoever gets there firstest with the mostest..."

Iracundus
09-04-2008, 12:11

Hellebore

That's only if you assume a campaign is just a simple line them up and count number of wins with no other strategic factors involved. Such a situation is more likely to give victory to the Space Marines than any other faction due to the sheer number of Marine players out there compared to other factions. The Eye of Terror campaign successfully got around this through its campaign mechanics, which rewarded coordination and good timing and placement of wins, rather than just purely sheer number. That is how the less numerous Forces of Disorder groups ended up winning versus the larger Forces of Order.

The scale of that campaign also allowed individual factions to pick what planets and areas they deemed to be important and fight for them, rather than having a contrived environment like Medusa V...a supposed run of the mill unimportant planet that just happens to have every single major race and faction of the galaxy descend on it at the same time.

JackBurton01
09-04-2008, 12:18
I'm assuming there will not be one this year since there have been no teasers.

WallyTWest
09-04-2008, 13:35
I really liked Armagedon. Yea, it was just sort of a bash up. Plenty of cheats. Lots of moronic gaming.

But when Space Orks invade the Nort homeworld and spacemarines come flying out of the sky... there is somthing priceless there. Alot of fun. The chactors where fantastic as well. Commisar Yerrick, Von Strab, Highber...somthing of the black templars, the death of Tycho. That was a seriously butch compaign. (5 Battles in 1 summer! Holy cow!) Come to think of it mabie Orks are a better villian.

Im not shure why Eye of Terror didnt apeal as much. (God bless those scnereos and the L&TD list.) I think because of the stragety element I felt a little left out. Just sort of acknolaged that it was out of my hands and regestered my battles at cadia. It had its moments.

I really liked Storm of Chaos, nothing like going against dubble your points value in chaos. (I dont mean to sound wierd, it hurt emotionaly to see those units go down every time.) I loved how the Tzentch leader got his head taken off. There where some fantastic moments in that campaign and a great deal of fun.

Lustria was lost on me.
Abalon sucked, but the scnereos where nice.

Medusa and the Nemisis Crown had its moments. But I felt like bolth where marketing ploys. "Buy our terrain" or you are not fighting in the empire. "Look at these massive cities that Medusa V takes place in." One thing that was nice was I felt that everyone was playing in the same place. Also I felt that Nemisis Crown handled the armies corectly. Empire v.s. Goblins v.s. Dwarfs, with other factions exsisting in the area (whatever your game group had could be explained).

Medusa had somthing similar, im not shure who the primary villian was in retrospect. (Sortof a man vs. nature kind of thing.) You could focus on whatever conflicts you wanted. But good times, and some good laughs.

Fantasy Campaigns: 1 of 3 where decent.
40K Campaigns: 2.5 of 3 where decent.

None of them had any kind of impact on their respective universes.

Iracundus
09-04-2008, 14:06
Im not shure why Eye of Terror didnt apeal as much. (God bless those scnereos and the L&TD list.) I think because of the stragety element I felt a little left out. Just sort of acknolaged that it was out of my hands and regestered my battles at cadia. It had its moments.

The strategy element actually meant the opposite. The fact a smaller force could make gains against a larger force due to superior placement of wins meant player choice could be leveraged into greater impact. Dumping wins into the black hole of Cadia itself was probably the worst choice in terms of making any difference. Cadia was immensely hard to shift either way via direct wins (instead of via indirect cascade effects) and the tons of wins being dumped there by players of both sides just throwing up their hands and not looking elsewhere effectively canceled each other out.

Occulto
09-04-2008, 15:43
Agree with Occulto here (by the way, great Avatar).

Cheers. :D

Though, yes they could use a bit more creativity regarding the scenarios.
I loved the old "boxed" Campaign Sets that didn't include all armies. Wish GW would do something like this again.

Simple solution IMHO. Just write a new mini campaign between two or three races every couple of months and stick it in WD. There was that Rynn's World one recently and I'm thinking of giving it a go against my regular Ork opponents.

It'd be a nice way to do some "unofficial" characters for people to convert and use as well. I mean, that's what they used to do - and we ended up seeing characters like Gazkhgull become a permanent fixture.

Tie it in with other stuff like terrain making guides geared around the participants (Eldar settlement etc) Hell, even reprint some of the articles they've done in the past.

I dunno. It'd be cool to see a bit of the love spread round for the armies that get neglected in between codex releases.

Gabacho Mk.II
09-04-2008, 18:05
None of them had any kind of impact on their respective universes.

They never do.

It is a GW thing. :p

Bregalad
09-04-2008, 20:02
Do you really want a poll by cheating power gamers dictate your fluff?

Even so, fluff and fairness have a hard time in campaigns. In Medusa, DE were promised a new strong female opponent to Azdrubal Vect if they fought well. They got 1st or second place (before GW fixed the results on the last day and SM and IG and Chaos were lifted several places), and the oppponent was just killed.

I take campaigns as a good opportunity to get more people to 40k games, and that's it. I know that GW fixes the results and makes crude fluff mistakes in the narrative. But I just don't care anymore.

Ethlorien
09-04-2008, 20:04
Maybe it'll be a Daemonic thing, what with their immenant release and all. You know, they rip across the 40K universe, mess everyone up, then carry the fight on over to Ye Olde Worlde. Then, for a finale, you have Sigmar return to the Empire with a whole fleet of starships to push them back...

Yeah, that's the best I can come up with...

Easy E
10-04-2008, 00:43
I liked Medusa V and felt of allthe Campaigns I have been a part of/witnessed from GW (Since Armageddon) it was the best. The reason was simple. I felt like the players were driving the storylines the most of any of the campaigns. A lot of dedicated players reallly carved out a niche for themselves at Medusa V. I think more than any other campaign so far. More Medusa V style campaigns please!

Iracundus
10-04-2008, 11:00
The opaqueness of the Medusa V mechanics didn't help it. It left itself open to all sorts of player accusations of GW manipulation if certain races suddenly started doing well or doing poorly. The Eye of Terror campaign was by far the best due to the openess of the campaign mechanics. Once people knew about such things as the cascade effects and thresholds, pretty much all the major shifts in the action could and were tracked and explainable by player coordinated pushes.

ctsteel
10-04-2008, 11:34
I note in the latest WD (Oz April 340) that the Events section at the back has a very necron-heavy theme to its background pics, even to the point of having a little sidebar talking about the necrons being long in stasis, their tombs being exploited by lesser races, and them awakening from their slumber and being unhappy with what they see in the galaxy.....

subtle hint perhaps to an event that falls beyond the calendar timeline of that issue?

Promethius
10-04-2008, 17:37
The other problem for me from a fluff point of view is that, for Imperial factions, there is nothing positive to be gained, by which I mean even if you win you only preserve a world that was already in the Imperium. There was vague talk about maybe bringing the legions back with EoT, but even if the Imperium had crushingly defeated chaos all we would have got would have been 'chaos was barely held back at great cost, many irreplacable resources were lost' which removes motivation for me. Single world campaigns are better because they don't tend to to promise such a big fluff impact, but trying to bring fluff into these things just tends to result in disappointment. I also second the comment about justifying various races being involved, it just gets ridiculous after a while.

Solasun
10-04-2008, 18:15
Would you prefer then, a series of "mini" campaigns Prom? Sort of like how Tau got Third Sphere Expansion?

Quick Idea being "hotzones."

Leviathan vs Orkz
Ultramarines vs Tau
Eldar vs Necrons

Etc and then switch them about a week or four later to say
Ultramarines vs Leviathan?