PDA

View Full Version : What two armies when teamed up are the most formidable?

Havesome
08-04-2008, 13:13
I would think that a Dwarven gunline that is protecting a Slann Mage-Priest would be pretty nasty. You completely own two of the phases with very little chance of misfires and miscasts.

Urgat
08-04-2008, 13:36
my vote: wood elves (or dwarfs) and bretonnians.

Armilthuan
08-04-2008, 13:43
Orcs and, more Orcs! (can you get two Waagh's with two general's? :P)

This is an interesting thread. In theory, an army that complements your weakness is a good bet. High elves and Dwarves are a good example. Suddenly, braving the missile storm of dwarves is even more disheartening when a unit of Dragon Princes and a White Lion Chariot are waiting for you.

Huw_Dawson
08-04-2008, 13:51
Chaos Dwarves and Wood Elves.

You win.

- Huw

StormCrow
08-04-2008, 14:02

Wood elves i can see, but I've faced a dwarf and bret alliance and I'm telling you now it doesn't work. In large games where the armies need to support each other the dwarves are just too damn slow and the bretonnians almost always get caught out on their own outnumbered horribly.

I played chaos and orcs vs vamps and HE's and I've gotta say the orcs and chaos did very well for themselves; 3 giants and a shaggoth can ruin anyone's day, and orcs make decent anvil units for a supporting chaos hammer :evilgrin:

sliganian
08-04-2008, 14:04
What about High Elves / Brettonians?

NakedBarbarian
08-04-2008, 14:17
I would say two skaven armies; thats just way too many rats

Necromancer2
08-04-2008, 14:39
I'd say anything with guns (dwarf,empire) and Bret RAF!

mav1971
08-04-2008, 15:31
Khorne mortals and Dark Elf army. I did chaos with all units and characters with mark of khorne and 1 level 1 sorcerer as a scroll caddy. My friend took dark elves with shooting and hard hitting units with a scroll caddy. We won a tournament with our combo army.

ReveredChaplainDrake
08-04-2008, 15:34
Double armies are probably the best way to go because it annunciates the strength of that army to an insane degree. Plus, you get to take two things of which you'd only normally have one. (I once teamed up with a Lizardmen guy and we both had super-JSoDs.)

I'd say dual Dwarves. Oh, er... that's um... that like Thorek's, er... twin brother, yeah... that you've... never heard of... stop- Hammertime!

Lordsaradain
08-04-2008, 15:37
Chaos and Vampire Counts?
Fell bat screens (which can be raised) for awesome chosen dudes of khorne.
Raising undead units to get outnumbering and rankbonus, while the chaos units carve through the enemy in closecombat.
Also combining Lore of Slaanesh with Undead cound be nasty I think.

Emeraldw
08-04-2008, 15:54
I kind of like the idea of Wood Elves with a Knight Heavy Bret list. The two armies seem to compliment each other in my mind with fast movement.

Aflo
08-04-2008, 15:58
I second Chaos Dwarves and Wood elves - one word folks: Earthshaker :p

Lord_Byron
08-04-2008, 16:02

I second this motion.

Cortomaltese
08-04-2008, 16:12
dwarves and brettonnians is really worth! i've played this combo often, and with a good use of list it is almost unstoppable..
some weeks ago we also tried khorne mortals + Lizards Vs Empire + Vampire counts.. the first team works very well.. expecially in opponent's magic phase, but the second not at all imo

Saben
08-04-2008, 16:13
I kind of like the idea of Wood Elves with a Knight Heavy Bret list. The two armies seem to compliment each other in my mind with fast movement.

Always liked the fluff of this combo, too.

Back in 5th ed I wanted to play (but never got around to it) a Bretonnian list that took the full 25% Allies allowance as Wood Elves. Grail Knights supported by Waywatchers just seemed like such a cool idea.

Mercules
08-04-2008, 16:43

Brets with their core Knights who can not flee most of the time and have issues with terrain.

WEs with their core fast cav that can run right through forests, bait, flee, rally-move-shoot more.

Both lists have Flying Cav, one that shoots and the other with great armor. WE is fast and agile but lacks armor. Brets are fast and hard with solid armor.

You could very easily put together two very mobile armies that can control any little section of the board they decide to focus on.

Urgat
08-04-2008, 16:46
Wood elves i can see, but I've faced a dwarf and bret alliance and I'm telling you now it doesn't work. In large games where the armies need to support each other the dwarves are just too damn slow and the bretonnians almost always get caught out on their own outnumbered horribly.

Well, I was more thinking among the line of the super cheesy 100% dwarf shooting army + 100/ knight army. The dwarfs just shoot, the bretonians do the charging, and that's pretty much it.

mistformsquirrel
08-04-2008, 16:52
Empire + Chaos or Skaven + Chaos I'd think.

Empire + Chaos = Empire brings a couple cannons and some handguns, plus a couple cheap high CR units; Chaos can focus on gutting enemy units that have been given a good volley or flanking things the State Troops have already locked down. Skaven basically could do the same, only probably in a more fluffy manner.

Fuzzymoldyork
08-04-2008, 17:47
My brother and I went undefeated with our VC and Slaanash Hordes of Chaos combo.

Strong magic and powerful troops made a disturbing combination.

Emeraldw
08-04-2008, 18:46
My brother and I went undefeated with our VC and Slaanash Hordes of Chaos combo.

Strong magic and powerful troops made a disturbing combination.

Well you do make quite possibly the best tarpits in the game. Few things would suck as much as fighting a group of 20 undead in the front and then chosen knights in your flank.

Famder
08-04-2008, 20:49
Skaven + VC, the skaven shoot into the combats and the VC just bring back all their casualties from said shooting.

Lizardmen + TK. Lizardmen provide some mobility for the TK, and the Slaan with TK magic is virtually unstoppable, one or the other will get all its spells off. The enemy is faced with the choice of fighting unyielding Skeletons or hard hitting Saurus, neither is a desirable option.

Lordmonkey
08-04-2008, 21:25
I'd say SKaven SAD + VC

Skaven SAD deployed on hills + zombie horde with magical support to keep the numbers up and the enemy back. VC could opt to take Blood Knights, or a squad of flying vampires to hit key enemy units, or both! And since Skaven can fire into combat, there is no way to hide from shooting. But zombies will come back...

Bretonnian Lord
08-04-2008, 21:46
Thorek Gunline allied with a Slann army would be pretty cruel... :(

Lord Omnissah
08-04-2008, 21:55
Thorek gunline with Khorne mortals anybody? Perfect complimenting of weaknesses, hello!
The Dwarves weaken everything, then the Khorne warriors move to finish them!

ZeroTwentythree
08-04-2008, 22:04
I've actually played the VC + skaven combo in a team game. It's kind of funny, but wasn't as effective as we would have liked since it was small armies (1k each) and the VC didn't have enough raising power. Also, I wasn't really playing a SAD army either. It would probably be more effective with larger armies and the new VC book, but the SAD weapon teams can still be targeted and thus diffused, and you're just left with the zombie tarpit.

I think we did end up making use of horde tactics pretty well, as the ability to summon helped get the flank/rear and marchblocking.

Jagosaja
08-04-2008, 22:41
Imagine new VC + new HE magic phase. Close to 25 casting dice for 2000 pt per army, and with some viable magic items +3 on dispell rolls, even more with Drain Magic. Elven Dragons, Dragon Princes, Blood Knights, Bolt Throwers, Ethereals and Zombie pits. I cannot see a better combination.

randominator
09-04-2008, 00:57
Double armies are probably the best way to go because it annunciates the strength of that army to an insane degree.

Yea i've played a few games recently with my High Elves allied with my friends High Elves. We absolutely dominated thanks to magic =D

TheDarkDuke
09-04-2008, 00:57
ogre kingdoms with skaven. they compliment each other very well. skaven can bring very good shooting with massive hordes where the ogres would provide the very heavy hitting infantry which the skaven lack.

theres numerous other ones out there i thought id just throw out one that probably wouldnt get as much notice

sing Sang a song
09-04-2008, 01:10
Empire + Chaos = Empire brings a couple cannons and some handguns, plus a couple cheap high CR units.

i played agaisnt that combo before! and i have to say it is very nice combo. Team was empire, skaven(plague list) vs HE, WE.
When we started the game me and my friend was discouraged by their numbers..., and my HE friend got mudered by skaven plague bearer rats, but i had fun taking out empire using woods as cover with tree singing.

TheSanityAssassin
09-04-2008, 03:18
I've run a combined 4000 pts with my High Elves plus my Bretonnians. It got pretty nasty. 3 Bolt Throwers + a Trebuchet and 5 groups of Peasant longbows can do a ton of shooting, magic was just a shutdown phase, as I don't like playing offensive magic (Though I had a lot of Wolf Hunts spells =) ). The center was held by brutal Elf infantry supported by big cheap blocks of Men-at-Arms for some cheap numbers, while both flanks held big blocks of Knights supported by Elven chariots. Throw in a small unit of Shadow Warriors for some convenient march blocking and voila.

With the 16+" charge on all the flanking units, and the wall of bodies+horrible choppiness in the centre opponents were left with very little choices, particularly with their own Cav often march blocked. Add to that enough shooting to keep any nasty guns or counter chargers honest and it worked very well. I liked being able to play two forces balls-out aggressively as it really took alot of players off guard, given that most teams paired a shooty with a fighty army. It was generally able to quickly overwhelm the combat of one army while using the shooting to target dangerous return fire. The opponents had so many targets to choose from it was really tricky for them to make a good choice on what to shoot/magic.

Cragspyder
09-04-2008, 03:59
I would not like to see Empire and Dwarves. It would look like a modern day army with so many guns, artillery, and tanks!

TheDudeGuyMan
09-04-2008, 04:06
I really like the idea of a magic based summoning VC army fighting along side a magic heavy tomb kings army with maxed out screaming skulls. That way you dominate the magic phase, but you don't have wizards arguing about who gets the pool dice. Combining the maneuverability of the Tomb kings and the amazing staying power of the VC would be a gnarly combo. But then again, could anything stand against the Dwarf Gunline/Bret RAF?

DigbyWeapon
09-04-2008, 07:42
Hmm, I think dwarves and chaos would make an interesting combo.
Guns and pure ownage? What could go wrong?

Digby

That Guy
09-04-2008, 08:04
I can't believe that I'm the first person to mention Dwarfs and Wood Elves. I mean, the Dwarfs are the best anvil in the game, and while the Wood Elves might not be the best hammer in the game, they are the one force that GUARANTEE that your anvil isn't going to get flanked. With Wild Riders and Wardancers patrolling the flanks, you'd be hard pressed not to march straight into the Dwarf's guns. Just the natural combination that occurs to me.

Of course, Dwarfs and Chaos would also be pretty fearsome.

Also, Dwarfs and Brets. Yes, Dwarfs are slow. Patience is a virtue.

Basically, when the Dwarfs team up with something, something incredibly destructive will result. I think that this is because the point value of every dwarf model is reduced DRASTICALLY due to the army list's complete lack of cavalry. So when you add cavalry, it acts as a force multiplier and the Dwarf combo army can be devastating.

Shadowsinner
09-04-2008, 08:13
id say dwarfs and ogres... hard hitting artillery paired up with super fast and powerful units of ogres and youve got a great offensive lineup... not to mention that youll have blocks of dwarfs to give you a high defense

Unwise
09-04-2008, 08:49
Chaos dwarves have to be one of the armies I reckon. The earthshakers are just too good to pass up.

Allied with wood elves, the enemy would get shot to peices and seldom make it into combat. Anything the woodelves put into melee though would be pretty unsupported, other than maybe some wolfriders.

For a more gunline approach, I think allying CD with Empire would work nicely. The enemy would be forced to come to you, slowed down by huntsmen, fast cav and earthshakers. When they get there, they meet solid dwarfs and the dreaded blunderbuss.

Chaos Dwarves and Dwarves would be a great combo, but that is too heinous to even contemplate.

rob_bot
09-04-2008, 09:58
empire+empire... Karl Franz on dragon, popemobile and four stanks is nothing I'd like to face...

psiclone
09-04-2008, 10:03
quick question why is every one fixated (spelling ??) on shooting, the most 1 dimensional part of the game. roll dice remove models.. :)

how about this.

any combat army - my choice mortal choas -
knights, dragon ogers, minataurs ect. stuff that hits really hard.

teamed up with a goblin wolf rider army.
shamans on chariots, one orc general with boarboys
and lots and lots of wolf riders.

- gobbos in the front .
we get first turn , call the waagh - so no fails first turn anamosity
any wolf riders that get lucky and roll 6's can charge.
if the rest will all get second turn charges.

so opponent must shoot at the goblins (who are there to die, and protect the choas army so they can get 2nd and 3rd turn charges without taking to much damage).

- opponent go first same deal,

Jagosaja
09-04-2008, 10:32
Wood Elves and Beasts of Chaos. Skirmishers all around will totally dominate the movement phase, WE master the shooting, BoC add up for strength.

Or even better, BoC with VC, take Morghur and insane amount of zombies, and watch as Spawns rise in great numbers. Pretty insane, don't you agree.

scarletsquig
09-04-2008, 12:24
Dwarfs would dampen the offensive magic phase of anything they're teamed up with, you'd have to go for a no-magic or defensive magic allied army for them to really shine.

I would probably go for high elves + empire. 4 cannons, dragons, steam tanks, dragon princes, loads of magic.

Havock
09-04-2008, 21:56
VC + Chaos seems like a consistent hard nut to crack.
It also depends greatly on the pts limit.
Under 2000 pts, you'll see less 'dirty' combo's' but it's more about the nature of the armies helping each other.

Also: High Elves + Chaos.
Take high elf mages
Add tzeentchy PD
choose right spells for job
Do job
?
Profit!

ashaman76
10-04-2008, 01:03
Empire + Wood Elves = 2 Stanks and 2 Treemen and a boatload of shootiness.

Gralph!?!
10-04-2008, 01:53
i would dare say that orcs and skaven would be a laugh. i have done it before but i got the crap shot out of my orcs...... from my own lines...... bloody skaven.
either way they ould work well, with my orcs why would i care if i get shot by my own sides warp lightning cannon, why would either of us care if we got hit by our own fanatics, why would we care if the squigs went nuts, we all have large amounts in our units so is harder to panic us.

is not then something like ogres in units of 4 at least with lots of night goblins, that way you run everything up, the enemy charge the ogres then theres fear if they pass the fanatics are released where the ogres should be able to soak up the damge andstill cause alot of damage.

Overt_Spy
10-04-2008, 03:44
Chocolate and Peanut Butter or Nutella and Marshmallow Fluff.

What?

10-04-2008, 04:08
well I would say dwarf and Brets. as long as the brets can have patience and not charge out and kill stuff and instead be the countercharger of the dwarf lines. or they break through one side round the enemy and attck from behind.

or Bret and WE pretty much same thing but Brets need to hit them before they hit the elves

HE and infantry empire the elite poewr of HE and hte numbers from the statetroops

orcs and Skaven (enough laughs it don't matter what else happens)

lokigod
10-04-2008, 05:06
hmm ones I have tried before....or played!

1. beast of chaos khorne mino's + daemonic legion - very nasty, very fast, too many hard hitters and target saturation.

2. daemon legion and orcs and goblins very nice combo

3. dwarfs + ogres .... um not very good

4. dwarfs + dwarfs.... too much of the same thing....

these were all over 10k battles :)