PDA

View Full Version : [2000] HoC Khorne Mortals (with Beasts)

Pooky
08-04-2008, 13:20
Just playing with another army list and came up with the following on my lunch break at work ;) Feel free to shoot it down, I'm still new to the game and am trying to learn...

Lord + Chaos Runesword + Armor of Damnation + Shield + Juggernaut + MoK

6 Knights + Chosen + Full Command + MoK

16 Warriors + Great Weapons + Shields + Full Command + MoK

5 Marauder Horsemen + Throwing Axes + Muso
5 Marauder Horsemen + Throwing Axes + Muso

Chariot + MoK

5 Warhounds
5 Warhounds

8 Furies

Beast Herd (18 Gors + 5 Ungors + 2 Hand weapons) + Full Command

Giant

TOTAL 1998
DD 6

Sterling
08-04-2008, 14:37
well... let's see...

the main issues I have with your list are:
1) Hammer herd has no hammer character in it. trust me... mark a wargor and throw him in that herd, then they will be much more effective... it's amazing how much more effective the unit is with a wargor in front. keep him cheap, though, just a mark and a Great Weapon.
2) Despite how powerful chosen knights of khorne are, they can be beaten if hit from a flank, they can be drawn into a bad position due to frenzy, opening up a flank, they can be tar-pitted by certain units... It's possible to make those 2 big hammer units work, but it will be difficult. Definitely not something I would normally recomend for a newcomer to fantasy.
Without counting characters, it's usually better to keep hammer units at around 150-250 points, and support units around 100-150. going more expensive than that leads to the "All eggs in one basket" syndrome, which will work against new players but get beat all to heck with a little experience.
3) Chaos Runesword on a lord. There is really very little to recommend the runesword... it makes an already very strong character stronger, but with a risk and not *that* much stronger. When there are so many other awesome items, it's generally not worth the points. Considering your warriors and knights are very durable with lots of attacks, you want the lord to supply high strength attacks to complement what you already have. slaughterer's blade is an option, as is black maul. I would want him at S7, as that destroys chariots in one hit and will reliably wound anything in the game. Use the points saved to get Gaze of the Gods... Ward Saves are very, very important.

_Lucian_
08-04-2008, 14:46
I personally find your army focused around 1 unit. From my experience playing HoC/BoC mounted armies the best approach is multiple units of fast moving death. A giant is little more than a big target, upon losing which its all down to your knights. Don't get me wrong i know how good Chosen are, however too often i have been over confident only to be left faltering against ironbreakers, flagellants and others such tough obstacles for that crucial turn to long. Also you have to worry about frenzy which when focused on a single unit could cause all number of issues. My advice would be to give the Marauder Horsemen Flails (trust me at 15points they are very 'punchy') drop the lord down to a hero, use the extra points to purchase some minataurs with great weapons. Your army seems to be lacking the punch in your infantry and numbers in your cavalry.... maybe only 5 knights with hero will sufice, so a nice cheap exalted to lead the warriors could help.

Cartoon
08-04-2008, 15:11
I would think about adding some dragon ogres. They are a hard hitting unit, especially if you add great weapons and light armor, although they are a little pricey for a unit. Also, chariots usually work better in pairs, although it might be tough to find a way to fit it in that list. As others have said, I would drop the Lord to an exalted champ as well. This would free up plenty of points to work something else in.

As for weapons, I'm sort of partial to the berserker sword, but then again I'm very new to the hobby and don't know what I'm doing.

_Lucian_
08-04-2008, 15:16
Beserker is an excellent choice on a Juggernaught. But a second chariot is abit pricy and one works well with 2 infantry units. Dragon Ogres is a nice idea, i use a unit in my beasts and they always do me proud, however they come out about 100points more than minataurs so finding the points for them is difficult to justify against alot of opponents

Cartoon
08-04-2008, 15:22
True true. Like I said I'm new so take my advice with a grain of salt. Looking at it now you're right, it would be tough to cram some ogres in a 2000 point list. Minotaurs or something comparable are probably a better way to go. I read somewhere that the ideal number for marauder horsemen is six, although I could be wrong on that. Also, as someone else stated, flails are recommended for them.

Pooky
11-04-2008, 14:58
Let's try take 2:

Lord + Berseker Blade + Armor of Damnation + Shield + Juggernaut + MoK

6 Knights + Full Command + MoK

13 Warriors + Great Weapons + Shields + Full Command + MoK
13 Warriors + Great Weapons + Shields + Full Command + MoK

7 Marauder Horsemen + Throwing Axes + Muso

Chariot + MoK

5 Warhounds
5 Warhounds

8 Furies

Beast Herd (19 Gors + 5 Ungors + 2 Hand weapons) + Full Command

Wargor + Great Weapon + MoK

Sterling
11-04-2008, 15:16
I'm really liking that army... with a few very small changes that won't really change the effectiveness of the army, I could run it and expect to have fun, if not win outright.

for the record, I would switch the khorne chariot to a beast chariot, make the gor to ungor ratio a bit closer, change the berserker sword to the d3 wounds sword (killing r-n-f isn't your trouble, but going against characters is... the d3 wounds weapon means only one or two failed saves will usually kill them) and find the points for Gaze of the Gods on my lord. most of that is preference, though...