PDA

View Full Version : Anyone still play Advanced Heroquest or Heroquest

Medic
08-04-2008, 14:21
If anyone does do you know of any good sites for quest and such? I've found a few but not really that good. I ask because me and a few mates have started playing again:D

Sleazy
08-04-2008, 18:06
I still play now and then, still a great game and HQ is still a great way to introduce kids. AHQ is still worth playing through. I used to play both back in the day then 2 years ago found mint copies of both complete with the expansions in a market in Newcastle.

Space Crusade is also good but Heroquest is the better game.

Mahwell Skel
08-04-2008, 18:31
Google Advanced Heroquest world wide and the top result should be Greywolfs page which is simply ace for Advanced Heroquest

Medic
08-04-2008, 19:09
Cool cheers for that link its a very good site just what i was looking for.;)

Partisan Rimmo
08-04-2008, 21:16
I'm filled with an overwhelming urge to somehow produce an updated version of Space Crusade reading this thread. Really. It's an almost religious feeling I've just received. Make note of this.

thinkerman
08-04-2008, 21:56
Heroquest and Advanced Heroquest are probs some of the best things to ever come out of G.W.

I play it more than fantasy and 40k combined, the game has so much to offer from story to modelling characters and creatures, imagination and dungeon design, campaigns and much much more

I'd like to see G.W. offer an updated version of this set to us with more support as its a better way to introduce people to the realms of table top war games and Games workshop

Zink
09-04-2008, 01:44
We used to play a lot of these when I was a tenager. Now I'm playing heroquest with my wife and 5 year old son. I like the dungeon romping, rpg lite style. I want to play with minis more than develop an entire character history of each model/character. I always wanted Warhammer quest but never bought it when I should of as I was on a GW hiatus when it was available.

Osbad
09-04-2008, 14:27
I've heard good things about FFG's "Descent" (http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/descent.html) along the lines of "like Heroquest", but brought up to date and better.

Anyone played it? There was a good review on D6Generation last week, which piqued my interest.

battle captain corpus
09-04-2008, 14:47
Aaaaah and we return to HerQuest like a warm blanket of love. Sigh...happy times...sniff....sob....
Never play it anymore. Had the boxset when I was 7-8 and then it was lost/destroyed/eaten/burned at some point. I may have to Ebay myself a copy one day. Never had Space Crusade though...heresy I know.
Have a hankering for some HeroQuest now! If your in London with a copy PM anyone! Hahahah! :)

javgoro
10-04-2008, 11:04
I play advanced heroquest often (in fact, my friends and I homebrewed a ton of extra rules for it recently, adding new monsters, special abilities, character archetypes, rebalancing all weapons, changing the magic system...).
As for Heroquest, itīs a fantastic game. I never got to own it as a child, so a couple of months ago, I bought it off EBay for some 30 euros.

Irisado
10-04-2008, 12:59
Heroquest and Advanced Heroquest. Fantastic games both.

I'm a Gamesmaster for Advanced Heroquest. I use the Heroquest board and missions with Advanced Heroquest rules (makes Heroquest much tougher, but also much more interesting for the players), and I also have all the original components for Advanced Heroquest for running pure Advanced Heroquest Scenarios.

I was actually thinking of starting a thread on these two games in the Sci-Fi/Fantasy Gaming Forum (suggested by the moderation team as the best place to put it). I wasn't sure how many people would be interested in participating in it though. Please PM me if you would like to contribute to such a thread, or leave comments in this one. If there is sufficient demand for a thread, I'll start one in the aforementioned forum, unless the moderators say otherwise.

Steam_Giant
10-04-2008, 13:38
http://oldscratch.smackwell.com/

Thats a Lively forum about all things heroquest(y) and much more.

dugaal
10-04-2008, 14:45
I have fond memories from back in the day, yet about a year ago my bro and his friend (all fallen out of 40k years back) got heroquest off ebay, but the rules seemed less than stellar. yes its simplistic, and I haven't played advanced, but id rather play warhammer quest any day...
what is different with advanced? does it use real dice or the skull/shield dice in heroquest?

Zink
10-04-2008, 15:02
I haven't played Warhammer Quest but from what I know of it, it would be similar to Advanced Heroquest. Heroquest is pretty simple and not really much there for character development. Advanced heroquest gave you more range in your statistics and the chance to buy henchmen. It's a much better game all around.

sigur
10-04-2008, 15:03
I've heard good things about FFG's "Descent" (http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/descent.html) along the lines of "like Heroquest", but brought up to date and better.

Anyone played it? There was a good review on D6Generation last week, which piqued my interest.

I played Descent quite a lot in the past years and...yeah, it works well. It's more or less classic dungeoneering but with some new and interesting mechanics thrown in. I never played Advanced Hero Quest (just the "basic original") but Descent is quite a bit more complex without being that much more complicated. If you have a group of people who enjoy such games, I guess getting Descent is your best bet. I also tried the D&D boardgame but Descent works much better I think. It just feels more up to date.

Medic
10-04-2008, 19:01
I think this is a good idea, would help newer players like me alot:D

Heroquest and Advanced Heroquest. Fantastic games both.

I'm a Gamesmaster for Advanced Heroquest. I use the Heroquest board and missions with Advanced Heroquest rules (makes Heroquest much tougher, but also much more interesting for the players), and I also have all the original components for Advanced Heroquest for running pure Advanced Heroquest Scenarios.

I was actually thinking of starting a thread on these two games in the Sci-Fi/Fantasy Gaming Forum (suggested by the moderation team as the best place to put it). I wasn't sure how many people would be interested in participating in it though. Please PM me if you would like to contribute to such a thread, or leave comments in this one. If there is sufficient demand for a thread, I'll start one in the aforementioned forum, unless the moderators say otherwise.

Supremearchmarshal
10-04-2008, 20:38
I have fond memories from back in the day, yet about a year ago my bro and his friend (all fallen out of 40k years back) got heroquest off ebay, but the rules seemed less than stellar. yes its simplistic, and I haven't played advanced, but id rather play warhammer quest any day...
what is different with advanced? does it use real dice or the skull/shield dice in heroquest?

It's much more like Warhammer Quest and it uses D12s (!). The dungeon is generated using dice. The heroes are in a sort of race against time, since each turn without combat the GM has a 1 in 6 chance of getting a dungeon counter - this means an ambush, trap, fate point for the monsters, a special monster (e.g. Plague Censer Bearer, Chaos Lord etc.) or similar.

It's a very fun game IMO - very gritty and there's a few things that are quite unique - for example Henchmen are not only useful, but vital to the game. A very nice touch is that each model may only carry 250 gold (and there is no experience points in the game - gold is used for increasing all except Fate Points). Also the Heroes usually usually start with 3-5 wounds and can only increase them by 2 (barring magic items, but those increasing wounds are extremely rare). In comparison, a Skaven has 3 wounds and an Orc 4.

The only problem with AHQ is that the heroes are kind of generic - basically limited to Warrior and Wizard, and they don't get any special skills or similar (though ironically some henchmen do). The original game did have some other problems (never-ending dungeon where you just can't find the stairs down), but many were fixed in the expansion pack (Terror in the Dark).

All in all though, AHQ is a very good game, especially when you consider its almost 20 years old. I still play it occasionally.

Irisado
10-04-2008, 22:49
I think this is a good idea, would help newer players like me alot:D

I tell you what, if I get a chance, I'll start a thread when I get back from work tomorrow, and we'll see how it goes.

I'll post a link to any new thread here, as soon as I've set it up.

Irisado
11-04-2008, 21:55
I've started a thread. Heroquest and Advanced Heroquest discussion can now be found here:

http://warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2516311#post2516311