PDA

View Full Version : First Empire Army 2000 Points

zerachiel
08-04-2008, 17:03
This is my very first Empire army list, I'd like to first know if it's capable of competition before any constructive advice. Thanks.

Empire Army: 2000-Points

Lord

General of the Empire [222 Points]
Hand weapon, pistol, shield, Dawn Armour, Sword of Sigismund, Ring of Volans

Heroes

Captain of the Empire [166 Points]
Hand weapon, Sword of Justice, pistol, shield, full plate armour, Doomfire Ring, Imperial Pegasus

Battle Wizard [150 Points]
Hand Weapon, Dispel Scroll, Dispel Scroll
Level 2 Wizard

Warrior Priest [144 Points]
Hand weapon, great weapon, Armour of Meteoric Iron, Icon of Magnus

Core

Swordsmen [305 Points]
25x Swordsmen
Full Command
10x Free Company Detachment
10x Handgunner Detachment

Spearmen [300 Points]
25x Spearmen
Shields, Full Command
10x Free Company Detachment
10x Handgunner Detachment

Flagellants [110 Points]
10x Flagellants
Prophet of Doom

Knightly Order [138 Points]
6x Knights

Knightly Order [138 Points]
6x Knights

Special

Great swords [130 Points]
10x Greatswords
Full Command

Great Cannon [100 Points]

Great Cannon [100 Points]

_Lucian_
08-04-2008, 17:31
Looks promising, but 10 great swords.. maybe drop some spears/swords/free to buy another 10. It is definatly worth it as great swords are cheap and can die in droves to elite units like chosen,vamps,chariots etc. Another idea might be to remove the handgunners from detachment choices as it means you have to deploy them within 3" of the parent unit (not always good if you have a hill or want to make a good tactical flank fire support etc) although you will lose the ability to shoot the charging unit so maybe only remove 1 unit. 6 knights works well to charge down enemy fast cav and fliers however it might be an idea to pimp one unit up and add a hero so you can threaten a flank abit more.

Hero wise i like captains on pegasus but the sword of justice allows re-roll to wounds if im not mistaken (my book isnt infront of me). That is probabully wasted on a pegasus hero, try a lance and maybe even the aldred casket of sorcery (trust me its worth it).
Pistols.... well they are good but a mighty fine point sink to have on every char. Also you dont have any dispel scrolls and only 3 dispel dice. That would be tactical suicide against a fair few opponents such as V/C, maybe to increase your tactical flexibilty you could consider losing some magic items such as the Ring of Volans and Doom Fire (both of which are likely to never be successfully cast as you currently have no others spells to compliment it. So even the basic 2 dispel from your opponent can dispell them the majority of the time) to pay for a wizard, if you cant afford to spare more points keep him cheap and cheerfull with a scroll or two. All in all i think you have a nice balanced army which is always what i like to see. however you are lacking in the magic department, which considering your lack of speed means that against alot of opponents who can out-shoot you (due to a combined magic/ranged attack approach), you will be left foundering to get into combat. A wizard could help defend you, or force your opponent to come at you

W0197158
08-04-2008, 20:19
Get rid of the flagellants, their number is way too small to be used as an effective unbreakable unit (+ their sacrifice rule will really make them die quickly). I would add the left over points for the great swords whose stubborn nature will be greatly enhanced. Or if you really like flagellants I would get rid of the great swords and fill out their ranks. It is really up to you too decide.

GMMStudios
08-04-2008, 22:19
How about drop the Greatswords, make hte Knights one unit of ten, and then make the flagellants 20? I think that would also free up some points, along with other peoples suggestions, for dispel scrolls.

Kahadras
08-04-2008, 22:41
General of the Empire [222 Points]
Hand weapon, pistol, shield, Dawn Armour, Sword of Sigismund, Ring of Volans

Interesting build IMO. Personaly I'd drop the Sword of Sigismund and go for the dirt cheap Sword of Might instead. Give him full plate/shield instead of the Dawn armour and give him a ward save instead (Holy Relic is my favorite). I'd also think about switching the Ring of Volans for the Silver Horn

Captain of the Empire [166 Points]
Hand weapon, Sword of Justice, pistol, shield, full plate armour, Doomfire Ring, Imperial Pegasus

I'd probably drop the Sword of Justice and just take a lance. Other than that the build looks fine (very much like the one I use)

Battle Wizard [150 Points]
Hand Weapon, Dispel Scroll, Dispel Scroll
Level 2 Wizard

Warrior Priest [144 Points]
Hand weapon, great weapon, Armour of Meteoric Iron, Icon of Magnus

These guys look OK. My only sugestion is to remove the dispel scrolls from the wizard and give him the Rod of Power which is a very flexible magic item IMHO.

For your troops I'd agree with what's already been said. Boost the numbers of the Flagellants and Greatswords or just get rid of them. One unit I would recommend is Pistoliers as they are fast, flexible and can work very well protecting the flanks of you army. I'd also look to getting a command squad for your units of Knights. The extra attack, +1 combat bonus and +1 to rally checks are well worth the price you pay for them.

Kahadras

_Lucian_
09-04-2008, 09:20
well the command on the knights is a difficult issue. 6 knights without command are perfect for gaurding flanks and scaring away other fast cav. Against slow armies they can charge down ranged/war machines or threaten flanks, if you do lose them its only 138points, rather than 238pts if they lose in combat (banner). The tactic of 6 cheap and cheerful knights is very effective, and if you come across something nasty just throw in the hero/pegasus to boot.

I like you changed the wizard that was a good thing,however i do agree with the beefing of the greatswords. Personally i know how usefull 10 flagellants can be on there own, they can hold out for a turn or two untill help arrives (detachments, knights etc.) and you dont have to worry about them dieing as they are only 100points with no banner. More importantly though 10 act as a very powerful flanker for your Great Swords and State troops. For that reason i would keep them at 10 unless you want a tar pit (which im not sure your army needs with multiple static combat res units, a punchy unit might be better).

One thing that has'nt been mentioned that only just struck me.... A BSB! You effectively have a foot troop based army which will rely on winning C/C in an attrition. I would confidently assume the majority of the time you will be charged (and your free company wont alwayes be able to counter-charge) and so likely to lose combat by a couple of points in the first turn. For this reason i think a BSB might be essential to your list, however the only hero i could see you able to drop is the Priest (who is worth his salt). Still its another thing to think about, especially if you make the great swords 20.