PDA

View Full Version : Mark Gibbons

hereticdave
08-04-2008, 19:02
News to me but looks like he's doing some work with Blizzard:

http://www.blizzard.com/us/diablo2exp/pinata.html

Brimstone
09-04-2008, 06:34
You should check out his website. (http://www.redknuckle.com/)

One of GW's best artists IMO and it's a tragedy that BL have never released a artbook covering him. :(

Bloodknight
09-04-2008, 07:44
Yep. I adore his work and I intend to buy one of his works if I've ever got the spare money (I really want the Plague Marine which featured in 2nd edition Codex Chaos, but I would also take the Mordian).

Son of the Lion
09-04-2008, 08:17
You should check out his website. (http://www.redknuckle.com/)

One of GW's best artists IMO and it's a tragedy that BL have never released a artbook covering him. :(

Wasn't there some controversy about some of his earlier work being #ahem# borrowed from elsewhere?
Not that I care, I've always loved his stuff - the undead series was jaw droppingly good.
Just thought that might be why they haven't released a collection?

I've been waiting to see where he crops up next.

Raellos
09-04-2008, 10:12
I love that necromancer. Pity I don't have around $1300 AUD to spend on it...

Good thing I paid peanuts for the old army book!

Jedi152
09-04-2008, 10:13
Yes, i'd love to have that Kroak picture, or the Green Knight, on my walls, but such is life.

I love the new vampire art currently on show at WW too. Does anyone know what happens to art when they stop showing it? Does it get returned to the artist?

Ozorik
09-04-2008, 12:06
His Squat berzerker Vs Khorne berzerker is my favorite peice of GW artwork.

daemonkin
09-04-2008, 12:34
I made a conversion for the Golden Daemons based on his old wraith lord sketch back in '95. I remember that was before green stuff was available and I had to use milliput to sculpt and fix the gaps I left. I even remember I made each joint section in his left hand pose exactly like the picture. Shame I was not so good at painting back then and sold it on without any photos.

D.

Archaon
09-04-2008, 13:21
Yes, i'd love to have that Kroak picture, or the Green Knight, on my walls, but such is life.

I love the new vampire art currently on show at WW too. Does anyone know what happens to art when they stop showing it? Does it get returned to the artist?

No.. everything that gets produced for GW by either inhouse staff or freelancers automatically becomes the property of GW. At least from the 00s onwards which is why Gibbons is able to sell these pictures.. additionally it's also the reason why we don't hear anything about the 5th Chaos god Malal since that was the invention of a writer who took the rights with him when he left GW.

Raellos
11-04-2008, 01:56
Ah, Malal. What will become of you?

blackcherry
11-04-2008, 22:03
having just checked out his work (didn't realize he was responsible for some of my favorite 40K art- and his others stuff isn't too shabby either!) i must say wow. Very nice.

Pacific
12-04-2008, 11:32
Hmm... im pretty sure that some years back there was a book featuring his artwork.

Can't really remember much about it, other than it was larger than standard A4 and featured an IG on the front perhaps.

Can anyone shed any light on this?

dancingmonkey
12-04-2008, 12:36
Wasn't there some controversy about some of his earlier work being #ahem# borrowed from elsewhere?

he did a khorne piece, can't remember if it was a bloodthirster or the like. Wizards saw it and took offence that it bore a slight resemblence to a D+D piece (something to do with the ground he was running over or something like that) and told GW to get rid of him or face their wrath... GW was still a smallish co back then (early 90s IIRC) so kowtowed to them. MG went and toog Nagash with him, hence the rumoursed nagash model never appeared. After a few years, GW grew into the supercorp we all know and love today and they got him back in to do the SM and BT stuff, life was good again. BUt during the great reshuffle, all new staff were kicked to save money. THat was why we lost MG, pete haines and the liek. All old hands, but new to their respective roles, hence first to go under the axe!!! Crazy but I believe true... (was GW staff at the time so you heard little things...)

Appologies if this is all fabrication...

Sergeant Uriel Ventris
12-04-2008, 12:54
Am I just crazy, or is $1400 US for some 16" x 12" pencil and ink drawing a little... insanely extravagant? Who would pay that kind of money for one of these things? I admit, they are great, but not THAT great. No piece of art is ever that great, in my opinion. But I probably just don't "get" it.

Ozorik
12-04-2008, 14:13
e did a khorne piece, can't remember if it was a bloodthirster or the like. Wizards saw it and took offence that it bore a slight resemblence to a D+D piece

The story I heard that one of drawings was almost identical to a 2000 AD front cover. This was in '98 or so.

stonehorse
12-04-2008, 15:23
He now does a lot of work for PP... his picture of the Spriggan is one of my favourites.

philbrad2
12-04-2008, 18:45
Love his work his work in the 2nd ed Codex Chaos is some of my favourite GW art ever.

Those Warmachine pieces on his website are awesome.

PhilB

The Phazer
14-04-2008, 16:31

Agreed on every word. He normally used to hide his initials in most of his artwork, but it was easy to find anyway because it rocked.

Phazer

yabbadabba
14-04-2008, 19:52
The story I heard that one of drawings was almost identical to a 2000 AD front cover. This was in '98 or so.

It was a picture in the old VC army book. Identical to a Spawn picture. The reaso why MG was dumped was because he claimed that his was the original!

Like the huge majority of ex-GW artists I believe he is freelance now. So we will occasionally see his great work.

Bloodknight
14-04-2008, 20:11
He does a lot of stuff for PP, I think.

Does anybody have a link to that picture? VC or Undead book?

Ozorik
14-04-2008, 21:29
It was a vampire wasnt it? On some steps? My memory obviously doesnt work as well as it used to :)

rev
14-04-2008, 21:37
talking about GW artists we like - Does anybody know if alex boyd has a website for browsing?

rev

hereticdave
06-05-2008, 04:21

Have to agree with you there - alot of his art built my minds eye image of the 40k universe. His Necromunda stuff let me to buy the game [twice] though i must admit his Avatar and particularly Jain Zar were phenominal...

nedsta
06-05-2008, 06:44
his pictures in Codex Space Wolves basically pinned me down and planted the Canis Helix in me causing me to spend unknown thousands of pounds on this hobby,now i think about how much i've spent on it all i think i'm gonna cry :(

Captain Cortez
06-05-2008, 08:02
So now we have Andy Chamber and Mark Gibbons, my favorite GW artiest.

Carlos
06-05-2008, 08:12
There never has been a picture as good as the Avatar in the eldar codex standing above the burnt out marine. Bloody awesome.

7th
06-05-2008, 11:48
It was a vampire wasnt it? On some steps? My memory obviously doesnt work as well as it used to :)

It was indeed one of the vampires, if memory serves me correctly it was mannfred von carstein with big flowing billowing robes and looking marginally angry. I'm sure I still have that army book knocking around somewhere, I'll see if I can dig it out.

the anti santa
06-05-2008, 18:47
Am I just crazy, or is $1400 US for some 16" x 12" pencil and ink drawing a little... insanely extravagant? Who would pay that kind of money for one of these things? I admit, they are great, but not THAT great. No piece of art is ever that great, in my opinion. But I probably just don't "get" it.

And yet unmade beds, pickled cows cut in half and exploded sheds are worth millions.

Some of those are not even made by the "artists" who concieved them.

Pacific
07-05-2008, 08:13
LOL indeed.. think you hit the nail on the head there sonny.

stonehorse
07-05-2008, 16:49
exploded sheds are worth millions.

If you are on about the Shed that was blown up and then displayed as if the explosion was in freeze frame I have to disagreee. That was a very nice piece of modern artwork, which is more about conveying a message/idea, rather than being as straightforward as the artwork of MG is.

Two different things which shouldn't be judged by each other.

Coasty
09-05-2008, 19:44
Nah, modern art is- largely- just the deranged straw-clutching of a culture that's run out of ideas; there's a wall covered in tat in Aberdeen that, whatever the intentions of the students who produced it, merely shows that the study of art does not make one an artist.

Incidentally, I think I have Gibbons' copy of Codex Imperialis: all instances of Blanche's name are scored out while Gibbons' is emphatically highlighted....

Ifurita
09-05-2008, 20:24
It's too bad Mark Gibbons doesn't sell prints

On somewhat of a tangent, Matt Wilson (runs Privateer Press) is another of my favorite artists and he's done some very nice Magic The Gathering and Warmachine art. He has an on-line store and sells prints at very reasonable prices:

http://www.mattwilsonart.com/

However, it looks like his online shopping cart service is closing and he'll be moving his art to the Privateer Press store.

Brother Loki
09-05-2008, 20:30
Yep, Matt's absolutely Godlike. I'm also rather chuffed that the piece he uses for his Step by Step is the one my friend and I commissioned from him to promote our (now sadly defunct) game store when we opened it back in 2001, the Hidden Fortress:
http://www.mattwilsonart.com/workprogress.shtml
At least people get to see it, even if it is rather small on the web.

Oops, strayed off topic there. Er, Mark Gibbons - he's grood too. Looking at his site, I never realised how many great pieces he did for GW over such a long period.

Daemonslave
11-05-2008, 00:59
My personal favourites were his Kharn the Betrayer and his Bloodthirster pieces. I'm surprised to not see them in his gallery.