PDA

View Full Version : 2K Skaven army

Firebreather
08-04-2008, 19:16
Hey there everyone. This is my current line of thinking in regards to a 2000 point Skaven army led by a Warlord. As most Skaven players would know, choosing either a Warlord or a Grey Seer affects a lot of an army's composition depending on which one you choose. So, this is the route I'd go if I chose a Warlord in expanding my current 1500 point list. Please let me know what you think.

Warlord-
Heavy Armour
Shield
Weeping Blade
Warpstone Amulet
Bands of Power

Chieftan-
Battle Standard
War Banner

Warlock Engineer-
Warp Blades
Upgraded Warp Energy Condenser
Supercharged Warp Power Accumulator
Dispel Scroll
Storm Daemon

Warlock Engineer-
Warp Blades
Death Globes
Warp Scroll

29 Clanrats-
Ratling Gun
Musician
Standard Bearer
Clawleader

29 Clanrats-
Ratling Gun
Musician
Standard Bearer
Clawleader

30 Clanrats-
Musician
Standard Bearer
Clawleader

25 Slaves-
Musician

25 Slaves-
Musician

5 Poisoned Wind Globadiers

5 Night Runners-
Additional Hand Weapons

5 Night Runners-
Throwing Stars

5 Night Runners-
Throwing Stars

3 Giant Rat Packs

25 Plague Monks-
Additional Hand Weapons
Musician
Standard Bearer
Banner of Burning Hatred
Deacon

6 Plague Censer Bearers

Warp Lightning Cannon

TOTAL-1999pts.

jeremycobert
09-04-2008, 20:16
everything looks pretty solid. only a few things i would do different

Warlord-
Heavy Armour
Shield
Weeping Blade
Warpstone Amulet
Bands of Power

i used to run this with bands of power + languisher sword, but nobody in their right mind ever lets the bands go off. its only 3+ to dispel. i would keep the amulet and dump the rest, keep him in the back out of the fight.if you have to have a fighter, give him armor and a great weapon.

Chieftan-
Battle Standard
War Banner

i dont like the BSB in the army as they have no fighting skill and die easily.

Warlock Engineer-
Warp Blades
Death Globes
Warp Scroll

im not a fan of death globes as you have to be within a few inches of an enemy unit, usually when im that close to an enemy i just fry them with lightning a few times.

25 Slaves-
Musician

25 Slaves-
Musician

i think 25 slaves are too many, but to each his own. i use 20 slaves who usually are just there to bait the enemy and then flee

5 Poisoned Wind Globadiers

i dont like PWG's anymore. they always run away and you only have 5. i say skip them and add another ratling gun to your other clan rats.

5 Night Runners-
Additional Hand Weapons

5 Night Runners-
Throwing Stars

hand weapons are good as you get 10 attacks, but stars are not worth it. your 5 guys with stars will be moving and at long distance most times and if you're trying to wizard hunt , you will most times need a 5 or 6 to hit. its just not worth it

25 Plague Monks-
Additional Hand Weapons
Musician
Standard Bearer
Banner of Burning Hatred
Deacon

i like the unit, but the banner is not really a good choice for them. they are already frenzied, re-rolling to hit is not a big deal as they get like 15 attacks with only 3 strength. save some points

everything else looks pretty solid.

_Lucian_
09-04-2008, 20:29
I disagree about both the BSB and Wind globadiers, the BSB hides at the back of a unit, and his re-rolls are essential to your army. The globadiers are something i personally loathe to play against, i fear them more than they are worth though but hey i think they are very usefull. Keep the stars on 1 unit imo, they are cheap and very annoying..

Infact the only thing i would change in your entire army is 1 ratling for a warp flame thower (gotta love that s5 template) and the bands of power. Apart from that i think its pretty solid

Unwise
10-04-2008, 05:39
I'm in a bit of a rush, so will keep this quick:

- All over it looks like a very solid army.

- What are the 3 x 5 nightrunners going to do? What is their task? Same with the globediers, there are not enough of them to do any real damage.

- depending on your foe, I would either give my slaves 25 models and shields, or 20 models and nothing. If the enemy is not very hitty, slaves can actually hold up the enemy well with a 5+ save 10 leadership and a reroll from the BSB. Otherwise, they are just there to die, so why take 25?

- I disagree with the above post about the Banner of Burning Hatred. Plague monks are not quiet as affected by the downside of the banner as they have to charge at close range anyway. Also, they have WS3 so miss alot and can be quiet killy with a huge amount of attacks. The banner increases their killiness by 50% which is huge. I never leave home without it.

- Depending on how squishy your opponent is, consider taking the plague monks ranked 7 wide, this may necessitate a larger unit though. Personally I rarely do this with the banner mentioned above, as moving straight towards an enemy when wheeling 7 wide is no good.

- I'm no fan of deathglobes, I very seldom get a chance to use them, even then they are far from reliable. You can't really make a plan around them.

All in all it looks good to me.

_Lucian_
10-04-2008, 09:02
I find the nighrunners to be an annoyance, something you cant ignore but have to get rid of. One of thos auxillary units every army needs. Usefull for running around on your flanks generally being a pain.

jeremycobert
10-04-2008, 18:43
I disagree about both the BSB and Wind globadiers, the BSB hides at the back of a unit, and his re-rolls are essential to your army.

thats crazy advice. his BSB cost 95 points, he could replace it with an engineer for 85 points. The BSB is not really useful in skaven armies unless you have something specific in mind. he will hide in back and only become useful if you have to take a break test. if you're in combat you should already have a few units involved and the +1 res is not an issue.

The globadiers are something i personally loathe to play against, i fear them more than they are worth though but hey i think they are very usefull.

overpriced and very situational, you could take 10 night runners for the cost of 5 pwgs. if someone sneezes near the pwgs, they will fail their LD test. no thanks.

Keep the stars on 1 unit imo, they are cheap and very annoying..
not really, 1 round of lowly goblin bows will kill enough to make them flee. beef up these units to 7-10 so you dont have to worry about the LD tests until you are on the other side of the board.

Necromancer2
10-04-2008, 19:03
5 Globes are more then enough to deal with something.. IF they hit correctly. :)

bambamBIGILO
11-04-2008, 05:38
Ive seen small units of poison wind globes be realllly annoying, especially if they are there to bait some uber expensive knights, if the knights charge no big loss if you have a unit ready for counter charge and if they dont well seeing 1 or 2 die is very annoying from a unit a person decided to ignore.

Anukex
13-04-2008, 07:05
Unless im playing my skaven army wrong my BSB is more than useful. i never leave home with out one. Though I dont usualy give him a named flag. Just the Sword of Battle and Bands of power. That way I can kill a bit too. I think I would try to work a tunneling gutter runner team in there. I always find them useful. Just plain guys nothing specal should be 105 for 7 of um and the add a rear charge to one of my blocks.

Shamfrit
13-04-2008, 07:18
Keep Bands in reserve, never declare it until your Warlord is in combat, and then try and drain your opponent's Dispel Reserve in the magic phase as much as you possibly can, then sneak off the Bands.

Getting it off Once can change the game.