PDA

View Full Version : 100% completely new artwork in 5th Edition?

IG_Airborne_Ranger
08-04-2008, 20:13
Is it too much to ask for completely new art in 5th Edition? I know this won't affect the game itself in anyway, but I think the book would have more "value" if the new content included new art as well as rules. Seriously, I think GW needs to stop reusing artwork dating back to 2nd/3rd edition.

sabre4190
08-04-2008, 20:24
No, I highly doubt that we will see 100% new artwork. I think at best this will be closer to 50%. While I do love new artwork, there isnt any true need for it. The artwork from 2nd and 3rd edition is amazing, and I think it would actually be bad if it were gone forever. When you want to capture the essence of the imperium, sometimes one piece of art really just does the job.

Still, if we don't get any new artwork, that will be a problem.

Gue'la Koholic
08-04-2008, 20:28
The picture from the back of the 3rd Edition Rule book, the Black Templar on the bodies of his comrades, holding his banner and firing the bolter....still the greatest piece of 40k art to me, and one of the main reasons I ever got interested in 40k to begin with.

Some of the old older art is better then anything that would be new.

JLBeady
08-04-2008, 22:04
New doesn't always mean better, just different. Also, good artwork is timeless and as some of the other posters have mentioned, some of the 2nd and 3rd Ed stuff is great.

One other thought, would you be willing to pay more money for a rule book that was guaranteed to have all new artwork?

Being in the printing business, repurposing IP saves big bucks (Commissions, time, prep work, retouching, etc.)

dr.oetk3r
08-04-2008, 22:05
The picture from the back of the 3rd Edition Rule book, the Black Templar on the bodies of his comrades, holding his banner and firing the bolter....still the greatest piece of 40k art to me, and one of the main reasons I ever got interested in 40k to begin with.

Some of the old older art is better then anything that would be new.

Sweet Jesus i love that Black Templar. It's bursting with Imperial juicyness.

Murrithius
08-04-2008, 23:15
And the 2nd ed. pic of the Avatar (also in the current Codex: Eldar) is awesome!

Warsmith Strader
08-04-2008, 23:26
The 2nd edition chaos codex, Kharn artwork with him standing on dead bodies, before they redrew it.

Was number 1 for me!

oni
09-04-2008, 00:21
good artwork is timeless

Well said.

dr.oetk3r
09-04-2008, 00:22
The 2nd edition chaos codex, Kharn artwork with him standing on dead bodies, before they redrew it.

Was number 1 for me!

Link perhaps? :p

shaso_iceborn
09-04-2008, 00:30
Link perhaps? :p

motion seconded

Hellebore
09-04-2008, 00:39
http://img522.imageshack.us/my.php?image=kharn01kn2.jpg

Hellebore

dr.oetk3r
09-04-2008, 00:40
Thank you Great Hellebore.

Yes, that picture is quite awesome.

Hellebore
09-04-2008, 00:45
I still mourn the passing of this fella:

http://img467.imageshack.us/my.php?image=khaine01ts5.jpg

and his pet:

http://img441.imageshack.us/my.php?image=wdoom01mw3.jpg

All the GDs got nerfed but I still think the Avatar moreso than the others (highest S and T in the game).

Hellebore

Varath- Lord Impaler
09-04-2008, 01:00
Hmmm i think they need to continue the trend of the artwork from the Fantasy Rulebook,the very clean pictures like that Barge of Death and the magic finding machine.

The Dude
09-04-2008, 02:21
Gibbons' stuff is always great. I think all of my favourite pieces are his.

TheDudeGuyMan
09-04-2008, 02:57
Although I do really like some of the old artwork, I would definitely may way more for a book with lots of new artwork. I don't mind when they reprint their really bad ass stuff, but when they reprint their lame stuff, I feel like they dropped the ball: new books are a time to revise, reinterpret, and renew the image of old ideas, and when they use recycled art, the ideas get stale. I'd like to see somewhere between 80 and 90 % new work, but I'd agree that 50% is much more likely

"pay" more, not "may" more, my bad :)

The Dude
09-04-2008, 03:00
"pay" more, not "may" more, my bad :)

You can edit your posts to correct that sort of thing ;)

Edit: And just to prove it, I will edit mine to post some more links to awesome Mark Gibbons Stuff :D

Red Knuckle Studios (http://www.redknuckle.com)

Fabius Bile (http://www.redknuckle.com/images/illustrations/fabius.jpg)

Morathi (http://www.redknuckle.com/images/illustrations/morathi_sml.jpg)

Ultramarines Honour Guard (http://www.redknuckle.com/images/illustrations/honour_guard_sml.jpg)

Death Guard Assault Squad (http://www.redknuckle.com/images/illustrations/deathguard_sml.jpg)

The list goes on...

cailus
09-04-2008, 03:23
I think al lot of the curernt art is dull and too busy. Very often the central character merges with the background or there is no central focal point.

Most of the art in the new Ork codex is like that. The cover art is totally boring and uninspired. Same thing with the Guard and various Inquisition books. It's boring and dull. There is no actual style and it all smacks of the generic.

My first memories of 40K were drawing Space Marines in maths from White Dwarves circa 1994-95.

I recently acquired the Blood Bowl book (it was unavailable in Australia for far too lnog) and was overjoyed to see the old more cartoony artwork styles in there.

I also liked the nice second edition "serious" comic book artwork (like the brilliant picture of Kharne in the picture provided by Hellebore.

jhon
09-04-2008, 03:35
Ian Miller please ..

mnglking
09-04-2008, 04:00
I some of the previous editions it seemed like a lot of the art was designed to be fresco work on walls of fortresses or ships of the imperium. Many were printed with a caption underneath naming regiments and heroes of reknown in the midst of their triumphs for others to remember and be inspired. For reference, some of the art in the IG dex are like that. I really like this style because it really brings that gothic style of the background/game home.

Supremearchmarshal
09-04-2008, 15:02
Ian Miller please ..

Seconded!!!

Lexington
10-04-2008, 14:38
I think al lot of the curernt art is dull and too busy. Very often the central character merges with the background or there is no central focal point.
Agreed. There's a sort of realism in the newer GW art, but it's a boring realism. Everything is washed with a million inks, and never has the gripping feel that the 2nd/early 3rd Edition artwork had. I'd be much more willing to shell out $50 for a rulebook full of reprinted Blanche and Gibbons artwork than a new tomb of dull Kopinski rorschach blots.

Imperialis_Dominatus
10-04-2008, 21:17
I liked the old Chaos art much more than the 4th ed... and that Kharn looks flipping epic.

I was also a sad panda when they didn't print any clear art of the Emperor. Like this one, I like:

Rockerfella
10-04-2008, 21:58
Yeah.. wasn't that old Avatar just bad ass? I remember those days.

I've just started reading Shadowpoint. Already, after the first chapter, i'm amazed at some of the revelations.

Anyways!

I'd quite like to see some nice new art in the 5th edition.

HsojVvad
19-04-2008, 00:09
I want to see a new art work as well. It's ok to see some old stuff but I was really really pissed with all the regurgitated art work in the Tyranid Codex. I seen all that art work on GW web sites and throught out the years of WD magazines.

It was like why am I paying for this, nothing is new in here since I seen it all before the codex was released?

jhon
23-04-2008, 05:37
Seconded!!!

good taste !!

Supremearchmarshal
23-04-2008, 11:45
Thanks, I really miss his Chaos art.

Melta Pants
23-04-2008, 18:33
It may sound stupid, but my top 3: The cover for 2nd edition (which got me into the game), the cover for 1st edition (which was beaky-goodness), and the image of the Blood Angels sergeant holding a chainsword and bolt pistol, with a huge back banner, standing on the steps inside a huge chapel-fortress (I believe the caption talked about "those who serve the Emperor" etc. etc.).