PDA

View Full Version : Mail Order ETA

Partisan Rimmo
08-04-2008, 21:05
Hey guys.

Now I'm well aware of GW's 'reorganisation' of mail order and the fact that this has removed the individual components service. I accepted that as part of the workings of a company.

But. I have a list of components I simply need. It has been steadily growing as the months go by. It is obscure. I am not willing to buy blisters. It is getting gradually more pressing.

How long are we going to have to wait till the bits service is restored?? I've heard rumours that GW are using the term 'restructuring' as a euphemism for ending the individual componants range, but even my embittered psyche, with, complete with battered relics of experience and steely walls of resolve, can't quite accept that GW could have possibly done this? Components are CORE to the hobby. They simply are!

So to put it simply, how much longer do we have to wait? It seems they've been at it a while. And they WILL restore the component service eventually, won't they??

Aurellis
08-04-2008, 21:11
GW are trialling a new in-store bitz ordering system using computers in some of the UK stores. So i guess you'll have to wait till the trial is over and whether they install the new system or revert to the old is yet to be seen

Partisan Rimmo
08-04-2008, 21:19
So you're telling me I CAN order bits if I go into a GW store?

Deamon-forge
08-04-2008, 21:42

Nope, still cant order bits instore only bits packs, and any thing else in the online store ......I tryed at my local, a day after the change. i dont think we will ever beable to buy just the odd arm we needed for a conversion.

Aurellis
08-04-2008, 22:08

only in certain locations i'm afraid

my local store doesnt have the order system trial, theres only a few trial stores remember :(

i hope the trials work out

Archangel_Ruined
08-04-2008, 22:23
They're never going to bring back the bits system, it's a shame for us but we've had it too good too long. The moulds are big, and there are popular parts in each mould. So, if you want 6 copies of one piece in that mould they have to cast the entire mould 6 times, just for six arms, or what not, and the rest of the bits just sit in drawers, forever unwanted and unused. It's very expensive to do things that way, so they stopped. I hope they work out the really popular components and make one mould for them so they can offer something resembling the old service without throwing money away. What they are doing, as we've seen the beginning of, is introducing bits packs, so they don't just sell one part of a set.

Foolish Mortal
09-04-2008, 07:53
I hope this is not classed as thread hijacking as it does kinda relate to bits, but does anyone know when/if vehicle sprues will be available again?

This may be old news to some people, but I really want extra side sponsons for the baneblade and am having little success tracking them down on line. Also GW can kiss my a***e if they think I'm shelling out for another kit just for those bits.

spaint2k
09-04-2008, 08:03
They're never going to bring back the bits system, it's a shame for us but we've had it too good too long. The moulds are big, and there are popular parts in each mould. So, if you want 6 copies of one piece in that mould they have to cast the entire mould 6 times, just for six arms, or what not, and the rest of the bits just sit in drawers, forever unwanted and unused.

I have read that GW models are not made that way.

If you were an independent operator, that's how you'd do it, but GW makes such large numbers of models that in fact ALL the models from a single mould are the same. In other words, the mould for that arm you wanted six of only has to be spun once, because it contains SIX mould cavities of that arm.

Anyone with experience can feel free to correct my misconception.

Steve

Chaos and Evil
09-04-2008, 08:17
It seems unlikely that the style of bitz service you want will ever return.

Jedi152
09-04-2008, 08:37
No, from what i gather it's gone for good.

A shame, but that's life. They couldn't go on adding codes and warehouse space indefinitely.

blongbling
09-04-2008, 08:45
I have read that GW models are not made that way.

If you were an independent operator, that's how you'd do it, but GW makes such large numbers of models that in fact ALL the models from a single mould are the same. In other words, the mould for that arm you wanted six of only has to be spun once, because it contains SIX mould cavities of that arm.

Anyone with experience can feel free to correct my misconception.

Steve

more or less that is correct.....the moulds contain cavitites of the same piece unless except for a few occassions. obviously plastic is very different.....

DarthSte
09-04-2008, 08:46
GW are trialling a new in-store bitz ordering system using computers in some of the UK stores. So i guess you'll have to wait till the trial is over and whether they install the new system or revert to the old is yet to be seen

Aurellis, are they trialling this in Leeds or somewhere near you? I may have to get through there if they are... West Yorkshire is only a short drive away...

Harry
09-04-2008, 09:11
I remain opptomistic. :D (Shocker!)

If you were going to scrap a system and introduce a new one the easiest thing is to chuck everything out then start again. Get the new system up and running with a limited range of stuff and then start to add more stuff back in as the system is established and working. Adding people, computers and storage space as required to support the expanding service.

I am sure now the system is in place they will, increasingly add bits back in. Starting with the most popular bits .... (It will not always be just wings and shoulder pads!) They will come up with packs for each new army/codex release. So you can buy lots of the most popular bits for a given army at a better price.

I have no idea on what timescale this will be. But I annticipate a monitored, steady growth which can be sustained so that a good service can be ensured. I annticipate the 'in store' ordering service being a success and being rolled out to an increasing number of stores until it is in every store and just as much a part of what a GW store is as a gaming table.

Well, thats what I would do.

Bregalad
09-04-2008, 10:07
Well, does it really need more than 6 months to install a new bought software???
Is GW really that unorganized that after 6 months of work they still don't have a clue of the future of the bits service and can tell the customers?

Harry
09-04-2008, 10:17
Oh, I think they have a clue. They have just not told you yet. :D