PDA

View Full Version : Last Generation Banshees and Dragons

Eadartri
08-04-2008, 22:26
I'm kind of curious. Do you like the last generation Howling Banshee and Fire Dragon models over the new models, or do you like the new ones more. I like the last generation ones. There was just something about the style of them. Now they're hard to come by. What is your preference?

Johnnyfrej
08-04-2008, 22:47
Perhaps you can post a picture of what the older models looked like. Then newer players who haven't seen what they looked like can make a better judgement.

I myself voted for the newer ones.

wickedvoodoo
08-04-2008, 22:59
I think the new Dragons are cool, quite an improvement. But i'm not fussed over the Banshees i didn't like them too much before and i dont like them too much now.

Altashheth
08-04-2008, 23:13
orig banshees all the way

The Orange
08-04-2008, 23:17
The new fire dragons are really nice, but the old one's weren't that bad anyways. As for the Banshees, the old ones look better IMO. Happily I've got a full squad of 10 packed away for when I start up my Eldar again.

Arhalien
08-04-2008, 23:25
New stuff all the way I say. The last generation banshees were oversized, wierdly posed with very odd helmets; I think the new ones are a big improvement.

Lexington
09-04-2008, 00:58
I'm a big fan of the new Eldar line (except for the Dark Reapers). The fact that they simply tooled the 2nd Edition designs up to current casting standards makes me grin every time I think about it.

Captain Micha
09-04-2008, 01:03
New stuff. much better pose. much better deatail.

Blue Orphen
09-04-2008, 01:52
The new Banshees are more or less the original banshees...in 3 dimensions.

Anyone who's ever handled the originals know how flat they are - same with most of the original eldar sculpts. But, I guess that's what happens when you make single-piece models.

If I were new to the hobby today, the new Banshees would make my army choice pretty simple.

Now, don't get me started on the 3rd E banshees and their Darth Maul-wannabe Exarch. Or the 3rd E Scorpions...one is holding his ankle like he tripped and sprained it!

MrBo114
09-04-2008, 01:53
funny you didnt ask about scorpions.I didnt like the 3rd ed scorpions at all, they looked liked something from Dr. Suess's nightmares (i dont want green scorps and ham).

Penitent
09-04-2008, 02:41
The original, RT-era aspects in general were ace. I still use a squad of Scorps and Dragons from this era, thought the most recent sculpts are way better.

The 3rd ed aspects, with the exception of Hawks and, IMO, Banshees were :eyebrows:

Initially, I didn't like the Banshees either, but they grew on me.

The most recent Aspects pay homage to the originals, and are great. I much prefer the new Dragons to the 3rd ed ones, which I thought looked like they were wielding golden dildoes.

sabre4190
09-04-2008, 02:54
I LOVE the new fire dragons. Arguably my favorite pieces in the new range, they are exactly what I envisioned them to be. Banshees are a bit tricky. Both have some pretty nice elements, but i went with the current ones for a few reasons.
1) ties in with the rest of the range
2) more dynamic
3) much smaller, not the size of a terminator

while i do love the menace of the old banshees, Im still going to say the new ones.

TheSanityAssassin
09-04-2008, 03:02
Very fond of the 3rd ed Banshees. I agree they're a bit oversized, but I just find the aesthetics of them more pleasing. My squad right now is a mix of 2nd and 3rd ed. I converted my own Exarch however, I agree about Ms. Maul....Repositioned her arms a lot and used a Singing Spear to make her Executioner look a lot more like a Glaive.

As for the Fire Dragons, I'll happily stick with my 2nd ed ones, though I prefer the 4th Ed sculpt over the 3rd ed by miles. Wasn't terribly fond of the...pseudo-organic look of the 3rd ed sculpt. It was a good idea in its own way, but didn't hit it off with me.

I think however I'm the only big fan of the 3rd ed scorpions you're going to find. I had to do a lot of repositioning with the arms for balance reasons, but they just look a lot more lithe and stealthy to me. Good thing was I was able to get 30 of the for dirt cheap because no one wanted them!

TheSanityAssassin
09-04-2008, 03:07
Also, I know it's waaaayyy too late, but I really really wish they had made new Warp Spiders. That's a model that needs to be changes something aweful.

danno
12-04-2008, 12:47
I think the old banshees look preaty bad compared to the new versions.
What do the old dragons look like?

Son of Makuta
12-04-2008, 12:56
The old Dragons always had awkward poses, the new ones are much nicer. But I'm torn as to the Banshees... I prefer the old ones, but only just. (Ironically, I own the newer ones.)

Irisado
12-04-2008, 18:51
The current fourth edition sculpts are vastly superior to the third edition sculpts in every way. Not just for the Howling Banshees and Fire Dragons, but for all the Eldar models in general.

This is because they are based on the orginal Rogue Trader/second edition sculpts, which were very good. (Warp Spiders and Wraithguard are still second edition sculpts, but they don't look out of place.)

scarletsquig
12-04-2008, 20:25
In general, for aspect warriors:

4th edition sculpts - good

3rd edition sculpts - awful

2nd edition sculpts - excellent.

The only thing that makes Jes Goodwin's original sculpts look out of place in a modern 40k environment is scale creep. 40k is not 28mm scale any more.

4th edition scorpions are better than the 2nd edition sculpts IMO, banshees and fire dragons aren't as good as the 2nd edition ones, but come close.

The asses on the 4th edition banshees are huge, which is a shame since the rest of the model is nicely proportioned compared to the 80's hair and chunky boobs of the 3rd edition ones.

I sometimes wonder how many life drawing lessons certain sculptors have taken before making things. If you want to get human anatomy right, you have to spend a lot of time looking at naked people! It's hard work, but it has to be done! :p

PseudoK
12-04-2008, 22:07
I field a mixed squad of new and old Banshees. I like how both look, and it's nice to have some ladies switching up their sword handedness. ;)

For the fire dragons, I much prefer the new ones, but I'll still be fielding a mix of the two when I get a new box.