PDA

View Full Version : Armour of Night

Lordmonkey
08-04-2008, 22:34
From the Vampire Counts Magic Armour section:

"As long as the wearer is on his own, enemies suffer a -2 to hit penalty when shooting at him"

Does this stack with the existing -1 to hit modifier for shooting at a single model?

Spirit
08-04-2008, 23:47
I have been playing it as a yes, as well as cover modifiers.

But i'm only basing this on it not actually saying that it is the single foot mounted model -1 negative that it is simply buffing.

BloodiedSword
09-04-2008, 00:59
I think the most sensible way of playing it is that it stacks with the -1 penalty for shooting at single model on foot.

If you take the rule extremely literally then it would imply that any shooting at that model always suffers exactly a -2 to hit penalty. So, for example, a Multiple Shots weapon shooting at him from long range on the move, which would normally suffer a -4 penalty, would only suffer a -2 penalty to hit "because that's what the rule says".

Obviously this is ridiculous as the armour should never make it easier for enemies to hit!

So basically I'm saying that if you argue that they don't stack, then why should you get to pick and choose which penalties do and do not stack? It's more sensible just to say that they all stack, always, unless explicitly stated. That's how most penalties work in WFB.

Anaris
09-04-2008, 12:15
I can't see why it wouldn't. There are a few magic items from various books which provide a negative to-hit modifier and I don't think a single one prohibits the penalty for shooting a single model on foot.

If in doubt, follow a precedent.