PDA

View Full Version : Are specialized armies like Grimgor's 'Ardboyz legal to play with?

bluekitsune13
09-04-2008, 00:19
I was thumbing though the Storm of Chaos campaign section the the official GW site, and I came across different army lists for the armies. Since I play Orcs and Goblins, I was interested in Grimgor's 'Ardboyz. I was wondering if it is "legal" to make an army using those rules. I'm really interested in the all Orc army, including making Orc Boar Boyz core units, as well as removing the restrictions on fielding multiple units of Big 'Uns and Black Orcs.

SuperBeast
09-04-2008, 00:34
If by 'legal' do you mean 'can I take them to a tournament', then no.
If you mean, however, 'I can ask someone if I can use the list in a game', then yes.

WLBjork
09-04-2008, 06:54
The other thing to consider is that Grimgor's 'Ardboyz don't actually work with the latest O&G Army Book, they work better with the old 6th edition one.

Superbeast, all legal lists are determined by the organisers. Some may allow it (theoretically, an organiser could require all armies to use the 'Ardboyz rules).

Milgram
09-04-2008, 08:19
they work better with the old 6th edition one.

replace the word 'better' with the word 'only'.

TheDudeGuyMan
09-04-2008, 16:01
Personally, I hate all those Storm of Chaos armies, and any and all non standard armies. I don't even like special characters. I guess I'd still play against one if it was painted, though... painted armies are fun to play against...

Atrahasis
09-04-2008, 16:12
I'll bring my (fully painted) 4-model Tzeentch army over then shall I?

The Red Scourge
10-04-2008, 07:29
Personally, I hate all those Storm of Chaos armies, and any and all non standard armies. I don't even like special characters. I guess I'd still play against one if it was painted, though... painted armies are fun to play against...

Don't be such a bore. The variant army lists just represent a different mindset in tactics and strategy.

Personally I don't really go well with the thought of daemons in mortal chaos armies, which the Archaon's Horde list made up for by making a pure mortal choice a more viable option – sadly this prohibits me from using beasts too.

On special characters.. Well, they add flavor and fluff to the game and I wouldn't mind anyone using them. I myself has used Archaon on a number of occasions, and yes he performs well by being almost invulnerable, but thats about it. Any decent army will just outmaneuver him and send him hacking into a group a flagellants or other expendables.

And if its the variation and customization you're whining about, then just take a look at the Default High Elf Dragon riding prince of doom and destruction leading 98% of the HE armies here. GW really should give him a name ;)

– and about the painted models. They not only look better on the table top. They also perform far better :D

EvC
10-04-2008, 11:54
I'll bring my (fully painted) 4-model Tzeentch army over then shall I?

Only if it's painted to this standard:
http://ogrestronghold.com/forum/index.php?topic=6825.150
;)

TheDudeGuyMan
10-04-2008, 16:27
Wow, yeah, I'd play against an army painted like that!

As for custom armies and special characters, I just feel like they are unnecessary. Anything you want to do with them, you could just as easily do (most of the time) with the basic rules (and some modeling), and you don't fundamentally change the game. Like if I wanted to do a Dwarf slayer based army, I could have like three units of crossbowmen with orange hair, call them my "initiates" and then loads of slayers, some cool characters, etc. This way, you play a slayer based army without the SoC list, which is one of the worst lists ever written ever.

And for Special characters, I feel like you should be inventing your own characters. Thats why we have these basic template heroes and lords: so we can make our own unique ones.

Just because you are limited to the standard army list doesn't mean you have to create a boring/unfluffy list, it just means the game is more balanced :)

yabbadabba
10-04-2008, 16:51
I was thumbing though the Storm of Chaos campaign section the the official GW site, and I came across different army lists for the armies. Since I play Orcs and Goblins, I was interested in Grimgor's 'Ardboyz. I was wondering if it is "legal" to make an army using those rules. I'm really interested in the all Orc army, including making Orc Boar Boyz core units, as well as removing the restrictions on fielding multiple units of Big 'Uns and Black Orcs.

this is a hobby that only has two sets of restrictions mate - those set down by the organisation where you play, and those agreed between you and your opponent. If you wanted to play your Cathayans vs his/her Artic Arbalasts then who cares, as long as you are getting what you want out of it.

Have fun.