PDA

View Full Version : Familiars, what do you guys think?

Bloodysaber
09-04-2008, 02:39
Alright, so I decided I want my Chaos Sorcerer to have a familiar recently, but he doesn't have one represented on his model. So, after shelling out a couple bucks at the store, I have a box of familiars from another tabletop, and I want you guys to help me decide which is best.

Box came with:
A small dragon
A cat
A winged demon with a staff (with wings he's half the height of the Sorc)
An owl on a tree stump
A hawk on a small branch
A rat

http://www.reapermini.com/pages/figure_finder_image.php?sku=02399_G.jpg&image=3

I'm personally leaning toward the cat, dragon, or demon. The owl, hawk, and rat don't really seem to fit at all to me.

Tommygun
09-04-2008, 06:45
The cat and dragon seem a little too fantasy, I'd go with the demon or rat.

ctsteel
09-04-2008, 08:57
demon seems most 'chaosy' from your choices.

however, depending on how they are constructed - cut a couple of them up and glue them together to make some real warp-spawned madness! maybe with some greenstuff horns/tentacles or whatnot. without pictures its hard to know.

Müller
09-04-2008, 09:09
build something yourself I say.. You can always create a "tornado" lower body half and then fix it together with some kind of deamon/demon-looking creation...

Adra
09-04-2008, 10:50
the cat sounds cool....i mean we all know cats are agents of chaos anyway.

Bloodysaber
09-04-2008, 11:49
The cat and dragon seem a little too fantasy, I'd go with the demon or rat.Well, a familiar can take any form. I could simply say the familiar decided to take that form.

I lack the proper skills to construct anything myself, so I'm relying on a paintjob to make it work.

Müller
09-04-2008, 12:12
Well, a familiar can take any form. I could simply say the familiar decided to take that form.

I lack the proper skills to construct anything myself, so I'm relying on a paintjob to make it work.

a familiar is a perfect time to practice your green stuff skills on!
Specially when you have that many... I say go with the demon, but TRY to convert the others individually first, if anyone comes out to you liking congrats!

I mean, the only way to get better is by doing... ;)

wickedvoodoo
09-04-2008, 12:16
What god does your sorceror worship?

I think the birds could be good for Tzeentch and the rat would suit Nurgle.

[Glory] Wulf
09-04-2008, 12:32
This thread could use some pictures. You have any?
It sounds like the demon fits best, but I'd like to see the rest.

Bloodysaber
09-04-2008, 12:46
Wulf;2508743']This thread could use some pictures. You have any?
It sounds like the demon fits best, but I'd like to see the rest.

Only camera I have is my camera phone, and the quality is very sub-par. Let me see if I can find some pictures at an online store.

Edit: Found one. It's in the OP.

Bloodysaber
09-04-2008, 12:47
http://www.reapermini.com/pages/figure_finder_image.php?sku=02399_G.jpg&image=3

Found one

Theola
09-04-2008, 12:56
demon seems most 'chaosy' from your choices.

however, depending on how they are constructed - cut a couple of them up and glue them together to make some real warp-spawned madness! maybe with some greenstuff horns/tentacles or whatnot. without pictures its hard to know.

I like this idea. Maybe go with the demon body, saw one of its wings off and replace it with a dragon wing, if that's a possibility. That could give it a nice, asymmetrical look, especially if you add some extra green stuff to the body.

Pictures would be a plus, but that's what I'd do based on the info you gave.

battle captain corpus
09-04-2008, 14:00
OWL! Go with the Owl! It'll freak people! Hahahahh! OWL!...really, go with the owl. Owls are seen as the Harbingers of Doom and Death dontchaknow according to ancient celtic mythology. See, I did have a valid reason for shouting OWL! ;)

Bloodysaber
09-04-2008, 14:02
OWL! Go with the Owl! It'll freak people! Hahahahh! OWL!...really, go with the owl. Owls are seen as the Harbingers of Doom and Death dontchaknow according to ancient celtic mythology. See, I did have a valid reason for shouting OWL! ;)
Honestly I could probably, even with my meager skills, cut the owl off the base and mount it on the sorc. Hmm...

Killgore
09-04-2008, 14:08
I'd go with the rat

but if you want an Evil Harry Potter sorcerer go for the owl

Müller
09-04-2008, 14:28
I'd go with the rat

but if you want an Evil Harry Potter sorcerer go for the owl

YES! And give him a broom for staff as well as round glasses from green stuff :D

Bloodysaber
09-04-2008, 14:30
YES! And give him a broom for staff as well as round glasses from green stuff :D

Haha, awesome.

But really, I'm personally in favor of the dragon, cat or demon. :p No potter in my army!

battle captain corpus
09-04-2008, 14:36
Honestly I could probably, even with my meager skills, cut the owl off the base and mount it on the sorc. Hmm...

I love it when a plan comes together!

Count de Monet
09-04-2008, 14:41
Reaper also has an underwater familiar pack, could be cool. The manta is pretty Tzeentchy, octopus is cool, and having a flying shark familiar could be interesting. :) They also have another pack with a little Cthulhu and some other stuff.

Of course if he's a Nurgle sorceror, a Nurgling should work fine.

Müller
09-04-2008, 14:43
Haha, awesome.

But really, I'm personally in favor of the dragon, cat or demon. :p No potter in my army!

1 pice of humor is always GREAT in ANY army...
I remember in one of my older WD issues that issue's Eavy Metal coverage, which as on a Khornate World Eaters army where one unit was built so that pretty much every major über-villain from horror movies (we're talking the mpsycho killers here), Hannibal Lecter, Freddy Kreuger, Scream, Jason, etc. all made up one Berzeker squad... that's just pure awesomeness ;)

Grey Seer Skretch
09-04-2008, 14:48
well...I made a goat called 'Lassie' from paper-clip wire sculpt and green stuff as a familiar a while back...he was kinda popular for the comedy value...

Lord Cook
09-04-2008, 16:30
I was going to say Rat until I saw the picture. I'd like to switch my vote to the Imp/Daemon thing.