PDA

View Full Version : A good legion to accompany my World Eaters?

Creeping_Death
09-04-2008, 03:40
Howdy folks!

I currently have an army of World Eaters and have recently started toying with the idea of making another CSM army to accompany them (and give me a variety when it comes to painting) and was wondering if anyone here had any ideas? Seeing as my World Eaters are obviously geared towards CC I was wondering what traitor legion focuses most on long range attacks? Are any of the traitor legions known to have gone to war alongside the World Eaters post-heresy? It's not really important if it doesn't fit fluffwise, but it would be cool if it did.

I've been thinking maybe Death Guard? Though they look difficult to get the paint scheme to look good...

Also, a random quick question. Is it possible to have two armies that worship different chaos gods in one game?

PondaNagura
09-04-2008, 04:48
well iron warriors are an obvious choice for ranged combat amongst the traitor legions. and the WE and IW had serves along side each other on campaign throughout the great crusade.

though black legion is also noted for a well rounded legion, which would probably be just as well recruiting elements from other legions.

if your opponent doesn't mind facing two halves of an army, maybe split the decided points between the two armies then it should be okay. but really it comes down to a personal preference from your opponent.

recceboy
09-04-2008, 05:07
I went the Black Legion way with my Khorne force , they can bring a lot of the best of each faction, plus the colour.....will add a little flare to the game.

Reaver83
09-04-2008, 07:25
I Started with WE, and I'm now a rainbow force of happyness and cuddles, so I've added a bit of home grown renegade slaneeshi, some undivided hombre's and some plague marines and 1K sons are a WIP

spaint2k
09-04-2008, 07:46
I am personally opposed to mixing Slanneshi stuff with Khorne worshippers, for obvious reasons. I am also not a huge fan of adding anything Tzeentchian to the mix, since we all know that "Khorne hates all practitioners of the magic arts". So that leaves Death Guard as the natural choice.

Otherwise, I think some Night Lords would make a nice change to red.

Steve

Sircyn
09-04-2008, 11:10
I agree with Death Guard being one of the natural choices. I have come from it the other way around and have a Death Guard force I have looked to pair with another legion, the Khornate forces work well with them on the tabletop. I find the resilience and close range firefight tactics of the deathguard compliment the WE close combat menace nicely.

The schemes are different and provide a nice change of painting pace and from a background perspective there are plenty of references to the two powers working together. Going this way would also make the next Imperial Armour book a really great buy!

If the smelly brigade aren't your thing the Iron Warriors have a long history of using Bezerkers as assault troops, these guys have an even greater focus on heavy support.

AdmiralDick
09-04-2008, 12:47
as an alternative, have you thought about starting a Traitor Guard Legion? you could keep them dedicated to Khorne, but have them all preffering ranged combat (particulalry weapons with a high rate of fire or templates), it would be the perfect counter balance to your WE, without being too much of a departure from your current theme. and being a completely different army you are offered plenty of new modeling and painting opportunities. why not avoid using red altogether? or try some of the Forge World Traitor Guard?

I am personally opposed to mixing Slanneshi stuff with Khorne worshippers, for obvious reasons. I am also not a huge fan of adding anything Tzeentchian to the mix, since we all know that "Khorne hates all practitioners of the magic arts".

whilst i can see why you would be opposed to such mixes, i think that too much emphasis has been placed on the Choa s Gods rivalry of late. i don't think they are as vehementy opposed as people seem to think they are. if there was only them left they would no doubt fight each other, but there are still plenty of other things to fight.

Khorne and Slaanesh do not see eye to eye on methods, but the ends they seek are the same. and whilst much is said of Khorne's distaste for 'magic', its worth pointing out that he still allows his daemons to be summoned which is a classic act of witchcraft. i find it difficult to believe a being made of psychic enegry can say all magic is evil, unless he's being a hypocrite (which is quite plausable). either way he dislikes Tzeentchs plotting and planning more than anything. he doesn't like indirect attacks, but he is perfectly willing to blow someone up from afar (just look at his daemon engines).

i doubt seriously he'd object to ranged psychic attacks or psychic powers that boost and individuals combat ability (even if he might not make use of such things regularly himself).

centy
09-04-2008, 14:09
mate thousnad sons are nasty and shooty to boot.

Dranthar
09-04-2008, 15:43
Well World Eaters and Death Guard do have a mutual appreciation of destruction so they should make amicable allies. "Historically", though, Black Legion and Iron Warriors have both been known to work with warbands of World Eaters.

The other option of course, is to make a traitor chapter of your own. ;)

dugaal
09-04-2008, 16:38
Traditionally Khornate worshippers were not against long range combat, it was just about inflicting maximum carnage (hell, there used to be bolter armed berserkers!) Only when they wanted to differentiate Chaos armies did they specialize them and adjust the fluff....

Perhaps have WE painted havocs with no mark (or khorne mark for the WE implants) who have not fully given in to frothy C&C madness, and over the millennia have thusly neglected their C&C skills in exchange for heavy specialization. You could decorate their belts with holstered chainaxes, or build them with berserker parts to integrate them (and just buy weapons from bwbits)

ChaosBeast
09-04-2008, 16:42
I did the same thing when i expanded my WE force from 1,500 to 3,000. Iron warriors work well in terms of long range fire power, and i second the fact that NL blue armour is refreshing after swathees of red. In the end i did both, my Baneblade aand havocs are IW and my raptors are NL's

Bigbot
09-04-2008, 16:59
I have a unit of Bezerkers in my Night Lords army, i find the Hit and run tactics mixed with the hit and kill work rather well

Creeping_Death
09-04-2008, 17:38
I really didn't expect to get this many replies and recommendations lol, thanks everyone!

Currently I'm torn between IW and Night Lords, as the paint schemes will look so different to that of my WE and the conversion kits available for both will mix things up nicely.

I know you can't post rules etc. here for models, but does anyone know which is better between the Night Lords hero and the IW Warsmith? Or do they have no special rules and work simply as Chaos Lords?

Blue Orphen
09-04-2008, 18:04
They don't have any special rules. Actually, they never did.

The Night Lords hero (I am guessing you mean the metal model) has a combi-melta (I think?) and power fist, as does the IW Warsmith. Since the new C:CSM doesn't include rules for servo-arms, the closest thing would be a regular power fist.

spaint2k
09-04-2008, 18:30
Perhaps have WE painted havocs with no mark (or khorne mark for the WE implants) who have not fully given in to frothy C&C madness, and over the millennia have thusly neglected their C&C skills in exchange for heavy specialization.

I draw your attention to one of my favourite excerpts from the second edition Codex: Chaos.

All pretence of forming balanced, tactical forces fell away as the Worldeaters armed themselves entirely with pistols and close combat weapons, chain-axes and chainswords becoming the favoured tools of bloodshed.

And on the subject of sorcery, brought up earlier in the thread, I don't have Realms of Chaos anymore, but it was in Slaves to Darkness, where the Librarians of the World Eaters legion were the first to be slaughtered in the name of the blood god "because Khorne hates all practitioners of the magic arts."

So it's not really a new trend, so much as me being a stubborn old fartmeister. :)

Steve

AdmiralDick
09-04-2008, 19:48
I draw your attention to one of my favourite excerpts from the second edition Codex: Chaos.

this isn't aimed at anyone inparticular (certianly not you spaint2k), but its worth emphasising, for the sake of clarity, that WE are not the be all and end all of Khorne worship. they have one particular method of worshiping Khorne that fits in with the Legions history, tradition and temprament. there are a miriad of other ways to please Khorne, but the WE do not bother themselves with such things.

so whilst its totally cool to say that many Khornate Chaos Space Marines love big guns that cause massive casualties, you won't find any of those in the WE legion. and conversely, no matter how cool the WE are, they don't encompass the sum total of everything-Khorne.

otherwise we were in danger of getting into an argument about unrelated things.

And on the subject of sorcery, brought up earlier in the thread, I don't have Realms of Chaos anymore, but it was in Slaves to Darkness, where the Librarians of the World Eaters legion were the first to be slaughtered in the name of the blood god "because Khorne hates all practitioners of the magic arts."

not quite. you can take Librarians in the WE army list, but they couldn't take psychic powers.

Long ago, World Eater Librarians lost many of their recording duties as scribes and all their psychic abilities. They now serve only as tally-keepers recording the numbers slain in Khorne's name by individuals and squads. Their other duty is to provide valuable communications support on the battlefield

whilst i'm not advocating that Khorne is in anyway a fan of psychic powers, it could be read from the given background that the WE were merely unconcerned with the use of psychic powers, so they simply fell at the wayside; rather than being rooted out.

more to the point, how were these Librarians providing communication support without psychic powers? Librarian duties are specifically set aside for psykers, because they are the only one's with the mental capacity to record battlefield data simply by observation and then communicating it on without the aid of fragile technology. regardless of how diminished their responsibility is, they still require psychic powers to perform them.

So it's not really a new trend, so much as me being a stubborn old fartmeister. :)

its okay, i wasn't saying it was some new-fangled trend or anything. Khorne's displeasure in magic has been aroud since the first description of him in RoC:StD. all i was trying to get at is that inspite of all the emphasis that is put on his utter hatered of all things psychic, his stated preference is not only a bit illogical but actually quite incongruous with the facts.

if he hates magic so much, how do CSM and Traitor Guard dedicated to him communicate further than ship to ship or ship to planet? everyone else in 40k uses psychic powers for that (or does without in the case of orks). how do those troops traverse their way through the warp? either they have to have a psyker to guide the ship, or they must have their path carved for them by Khorne himself, which is tantamount to saying that Khorne is like a more powerful psyker than a navigator (or, again like orks, they do without).

how do possessed and daemon weapons work without the aid of magic to bind some power to an otherwise inert armament? (even the StD is at a loss on this one and has to conceed that the prohibition does not extend to Bloodstones, Axes of Khorne, Hellblades and other Khornate and obviously magical weapons.) also, how do Juggernaughts and Daemon Engines, like the Doom Blaster and Lord of Battle work? they are part daemon and part physical machine, but what allows the two to interact and even to bind? the immaterium cannot simply spill into the mortal realm without cause. so how does one summon a Bloodletter to the real world without the aid of 'magic'. in fact what is the immaterium itself, if not psychic energy (which it mustn't be if Khorne, the most powerful being in the warp, dislikes it so)?

Grey Knights were anti-psychic suits to prevent daemons from being able to harm them. pariahs have nothing to fear from daemons, because they cannot be seen, but equally cannot enter the warp, and supiciously cannot use psychic powers.

its cool to have the contradictory nature of Chaos (it wants to be great and yet seeks only to destroy), and the idea that Khorne, the most powerful of Chaos deities, is not only self loathing, but a hypocrite, is absolutely equisite. however, i think that it would be more sensible to reinterpret Khorne's distaste as a distaste for tricky and falseness. Khorne always commits himself and his troops whole sale. so whilst he's cool with a small amount of psychic powers being used (for summoning daemons, magic weapons and even ranged spells and combat buffs), he does not look upon such things too kindly and you aren't likely to earn much favour off him for it.

dugaal
09-04-2008, 20:10
All pretence of forming balanced, tactical forces fell away as the Worldeaters armed themselves entirely with pistols and close combat weapons, chain-axes and chainswords becoming the favoured tools of bloodshed.
Thanks for the clarifications spaint2k... I have been soundly beaten with facts! So the World Eaters are now all frothing CC monsters then, there goes my idea (though some WE wannabe renegades might be given those duties whenever they encounter a WE warband)

And good post AdmiralDick, I too agree that some psychic abilities are a must for nearly any race to travel and communicate. perhaps they use human, enslaved astropaths for travel and communication (though I cant see them treating them well enough to stop them guiding them into certain death, maybe they like that :))