PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever had any painfull experiances?

Aladin_sane
09-04-2008, 14:46
It was 2 weeks ago yesterday that I was seen to at A&E for a laceration to the left index finger for using a craft knife (stupidly I might add). And this isn't the first time I've cut myself with a crafting tool, on the same hand my middle finger has a mean looking scar running up it for the same reason. Though this time I think I've learned my lesson, considering it was deep enough to see a small glimpse of bone, cause nerve damage, needing 7 stitches and leaving me with a forever numb area on my finger, I think thats reason enough to learn from it this time ey? I know how much of a stupid incident it is, its why they have age limits on the packaging :D but has anyone else had any nasty accidents with modeling tools or anything similar?

GraemePaul
09-04-2008, 15:20
I think you will find most people have had accidents with modeling tools at some time or another.

Now most of the range is in plastics it happens less for me however I remember trimming an old metal terminator and instead of going away from myself I cut toward myself. Embedded the knife into my index finger where I still have the scar to this day. Never had stiches but thats just me. I bled like mad though at the time.

Jedi152
09-04-2008, 15:54
I've got flock in my eye on more than one occasion (a load of the stuff, i had to hold my eye open whilst in agony, while my other half poured water in it whilst trying not to laugh).

And i've been on the wrong side of 4th ed. WFB goblins before.

ozzfan
09-04-2008, 16:07

Those things were lethal. They should have been developed for use in the military.

Luckily, I've never suffered a serious hobby mishap, which makes me kind of boring.

Mozzamanx
09-04-2008, 16:20
One time, I really really wanted a freeze-pop from my freezer, but the scissors were in the dishwasher. Being the smart old sausage that I am, I decided to use a knife! Unfortunately, the box was rather stubborn, so I resorted to stabbing it.

My other hand was holding it, and the knife stabbed it in that flappy webby thing between your thumb and poking finger. It didn't need stitches or anything, but it hurt like a bugger for the next few days.

Jedi152
09-04-2008, 16:25
Those things were lethal. They should have been developed for use in the military.
I do recall the boxing day after i got it for Christmas being hazardous. It was like getting out bed onto a field of caltrops. :(

One time, I really really wanted a freeze-pop from my freezer, but the scissors were in the dishwasher. Being the smart old sausage that I am, I decided to use a knife! Unfortunately, the box was rather stubborn, so I resorted to stabbing it.

My other hand was holding it, and the knife stabbed it in that flappy webby thing between your thumb and poking finger. It didn't need stitches or anything, but it hurt like a bugger for the next few days.
If we're talking non-modelling injuries, i've had fun washing up a broken glass and not noticing until it was embedded in my hand. Still got the scar from that one.

jon23516
09-04-2008, 16:52
I chewed off my leg off a few years ago when I got stuck in a bear trap; does that count? It was pretty painful.

Jon

EmperorNorton
09-04-2008, 17:10
I'm almost done with my first conversion project (check my signature!) and I'm surprised that I've not hurt myself with drill or saw.
However, I accidentally put the edge of a sprue in my eye yesterday, which is especially remarkable considering I wear glasses. I had dropped a head I was about to glue on, so I bent down to retrieve it. While doing that I poked myself in the eye with a sprue lying on the edge of the table.

Yarick Zan
09-04-2008, 17:11
I picked up a special chain mail glove for one of my hands when I am modeling. Really fine like divers stuff almost. Anyways it has saved my fingers several times. From both careless dremels and knives. I still have the scars from before when I didn't have it.

Dwarf Supreme
09-04-2008, 17:21
I've never needed stitches, but on multiple occasions I've cut myself with my X-acto knife.

Sureshot05
09-04-2008, 17:24
When I ws much younger and living with my mother, I cut a small chunk (no more than a few cubic mm) out of my finger and ran to the medical cabinet to find some dressing to clean it up and stop the bleeding. When I returned to my table, my mum's pet cat had leapt onto the table and eaten the chunk of my finger that had been left behind. Needless to say I've have always been afraid that one day I might be staying over with my mother and that cat would finish the job, or I would wake up and be missing a foot or something...

Darkson
09-04-2008, 17:50
Ignoring the numerous superglue/hobby knife injuries, a friend made some terrain for (mainly) Necromunda, including fences, barriers and general debris.

Some of these were mounds of "earth" with spikes, designed to deter people from charging in that directiion, for which he used long cocktail sticks.

During one game I leaned over the table to try to check a models LOS, put my hand down to steady myself, and....:rolleyes:

Still have a nice puncture scar in the palm of my hand.

nurgle_boy
09-04-2008, 20:41
Aha! love these threads...
I have a handful myself, one is even fresh!
Other than the odd minor scratch, Ive had a few nasty ones-
When I started out the hobby, i was trying to cut some hardboard to make a gaming board with a stanley knife. no where to rest it, so onto my leg i held it! good idea!
A few clean cuts into my leg later, i had the boards roughly cut!

Clipperjabbing my thumb, and left middle finger wasn't fun... the feeling of something only just breaking skin, but grating on bone is not a nice one... they bruised up, and left some nasty scarring oddly enough... dead on the knuckles as well...

Second most recent was with the new baneblade. I'd constructed the vulcanmegabolter turret nicely, and was fitting it, when i noticed a spur of plasticard that was stopping the perfect fit. out whips the knife, and I try to cut it off, and apply too much pressure in the wrong place, and cut straight through my right thumb, until I nick the bone. first reaction was 'oh balls', but after I thanked my luck for just fitting a new blade, as i could still feel everything (good, clean cut! nothing major hit, since i caught it at an angle :D), so i decided to creep everyone out by drawing some eyes above it on my thumbnail, and making the wound talk a little...
Yeah... turns out not everyone is in to that kind of thing... so what if I'm a sadistic freak!? Nothing that didnt fix up with a coffee stirer splint, and glue ( since I bloody well wanted to finish that baneblade!)

The most recent was when my knife got me with an april fools joke... "look! my blade looks clean and sharp, but NO! dull... like a brick!". somehow slipped whilst holding it with my right hand, and managed to cut a nasty, messy gash dead centre in my right thumb... bled like a bitch (I managed, out of the irony of it all, to write 'pwned' in blood on a piece of paper :p), for about half an hour, even beating superglue! unfortunatly due to my wound poking habit, its almost healed, but with a ruddy great dent in that thumb XD
Baaaad idea...

Anyway... thats my tales...

EDIT: oh, the skull pass goblins are just as evil! on the free sample giveaways, i was just removing one from the sprue and I drew blood...

lord_blackfang
09-04-2008, 20:47
Nothing hobby related. I'm a very careful person. Because I used to fall down so often when I was little that my forehead is a network of stitch-scars.

Müller
09-04-2008, 20:47
I've got flock in my eye on more than one occasion (a load of the stuff, i had to hold my eye open whilst in agony, while my other half poured water in it whilst trying not to laugh).

How the HELL have you managed that!?

Ah, haven't we all >< xD

And 3rd Edition WH40 Goblins (those damn spiked helmets ><)

I haven't really suffered anything like that, I have managed to get my fingertips real ******** hardened after modelling up 3000 points of tyranids, causes were my swiss army knife (which I use as my hobby knife) as well as superglue :p

Aladin_sane
09-04-2008, 20:54
With all my other cuts I always use super glue to close it up, it works brilliantly! It seems to be an anesthetic as it gets rid of the pain very quickly, works as good protection and waterproof. But the last 'laceration' was a very, very nasty one, there was a lot of blood and it was clear that it was a casualty job, no matter how much super glue I had :p

Zemlod
09-04-2008, 20:57
just the old superglue to the eyes trick...

makes me wonder now:
instead of calling a doctor or something i actually rushed and googled "eyes" and "spuerglue" . . . <shudders>

Roguebaron
09-04-2008, 23:58
I think my worst was when i started gaming many years ago, and i was working at my desk. It's a raised drafting table that you have to sit in a bar stool to use. I was changing an exacto blade and dropped it into the shag (yup i said shag ech) carpet. I stepped off the bar stool to retrieve the blade, without looking to see where it went. Working barfoot, i drove the blade clean through the side of my big toe, right beside the nail. Seems it landed point up in the shag. Bled for ages, cleaned it, wrapped it, went back to work...i had a game the next day and needed the demon engine i was working on. That took a real long time to heal properly, and i still have the scar today.

Mad Doc Grotsnik
10-04-2008, 00:14
Hobby Related...lets see....

Found out dribbling Super Glue on Tissue Paper made a vapor. Super Glue Vapor to be precise. Man that sucked.

dr.oetk3r
10-04-2008, 00:23
Glued my fingers together, suffered brain damage from spray paint gas (probably) and cut my fingers with X-acto. :D

ehlijen
10-04-2008, 02:22
Both my left fingers and thumb are a few milimeters shorter than they should be.

theunwantedbeing
10-04-2008, 02:45
Just stabbed myself more times than I can recall.....that and I've put more lines in my hand than I can recall as well.

Not as bad as pulling nose hairs though.

The worst modelling injury was a superglue tube rupturing covering my hand in suerglue....of course none touched the model. After peeling the stuff off my fingers I find that I cant feel anything where the superglue was. Took a bit over a week before the feeling came back. Didn't hurt...quite the opposite.
It's the same superglue that my mate claims "burns like hell" when you get it on your hands.

snurl
10-04-2008, 07:16
I don't use X-Acto knives anymore. The knives with the retractable snap-off blades are just as sharp, and I havn't cut myself since I made the switch to them.

Jedi152
10-04-2008, 08:22
How the HELL have you managed that!?
By being an idiot!

I'd just flocked something (can't remember what) and needed to get rid of the excess into the flock tub. For some reason rather than turning it upside down and tapping it, i decided to get close and blow it off. My mind didn't register the open flock tub that was right under the model and one good blow send the stuff everywhere!

Darwin award time! :D

You want random superglue injuries? My supervisor at my first job managed to superglue his tongue to the roof of his mouth.

samael
10-04-2008, 08:26
Another victim of the infamous 4th edition gobbos here.
had 10 inbedded in my hand once when I leaned on a unit of the buggers during a game. :)

And I used to use scalpels from work to clean my minies, Stupidly cut myself when one of them got stuck and I just happend to walk past the table in a hurryto open the door. Thing is these things are so sharp I didn't realy notice until the lady at the door turned all white and pointed out that blood was in fact gushing out of my arm.

Out went the scalpels in came those nice retractable snap-off blades haven't had a cut since

alexh
10-04-2008, 12:15
Apart from the obvios thumb looking like a spaghetti junction, the worst one I have had recently was a couple of weeks ago when drilling through a piece of slate with my pin vise. I was using a bit too much force, the drill bit snapped and I drilled through my thumb nail. My GF thought I was being murdered when I screamed. It's fun watching the hole creep up the nail as it grows though.

EmperorNorton
10-04-2008, 12:20
You want random superglue injuries? My supervisor at my first job managed to superglue his tongue to the roof of his mouth.

Oh, I've superglued my tongue to one of my eyeteeth before.
I was too lazy to get a knife or scissors to cut off the little plastic peg keeping a new bottle of superglue shut, so I decided to bite it off. Then, to my surprise, glue started spilling out...

Glabro
10-04-2008, 14:16
I do recall the boxing day after i got it for Christmas being hazardous. It was like getting out bed onto a field of caltrops. :(

Hahaha, I fondly remember the tale of a friend's father who ignorantly stepped inside the friend's room in the dark...a dozen spears bit deep inside his foot.

Freakiq
10-04-2008, 15:00
Oh, I've superglued my tongue to one of my eyeteeth before.

What's an eyeteeth? :wtf:

Osbad
10-04-2008, 15:27
The most painful thing I did was spray my hand with cyanoacrylate activator. Before realising that some of the superglue had dribbled onto my fingers.

Burned like buggery! I screamed like a little girl!

Since then I've never held anything in my fingers while using activator!

Wolf Scout Ewan
10-04-2008, 15:28
I have lost count of the number of times I have cut myself with my excel knifes. I swear I have less feeling in my thumbs and fingertips.

My most successful and memorable injury occured when opening a tortured souls figure. I decided to use my excel and it caught on the inner layer of plastic... I yanked it and it flew out and I managed to bury it upto the hilt in my wrist.
To my shame I panicked and pulled it out and blood started running down my arm. So there I am thinking I'm bleeding to death and calling for my housem8 who thinks I'm messing about. He see's the blood on the wall between our rooms and panics too. Luckily there was a woman in the house to look after us and get me to hospital.
Luckily I had missed everything vital and they used superglue to seal the wound. The nurse even managed to glue herself to me! Haha!

On a side not though I had to quickly explain to the triage nurse that even though I do have old self harm scars that the new one wasnt deliberate. Wooo I nearly got sectioned!

I have also found that blue/pink foam can give u an interesting high if you are cutting it for too long. Superglue on the same stuff will produce fumes that irritate your eyes... *ahem*.

Another amusing anecdote is sitting on my excel knife and it cutting the back of my balls. Hurty and funny!

Osbad
10-04-2008, 15:28
What's an eyeteeth? :wtf:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eye_tooth

Jedi152
10-04-2008, 15:45
Another amusing anecdote is sitting on my excel knife and it cutting the back of my balls. Hurty and funny!

:cries:

Congratulations. You've successfully made me check the seat before i sit down for the rest of the week.

Patriarch
10-04-2008, 17:08
The usual "figmata" - my specialty is snapping drill bits and having them fly off and embed into my fingers. Plus sacrificing blood to a new miniature by accidentally slicing my fingers with the xacto blade.

My hands were like pincushions by the time I completed the chaos dragon...so many horns...

A variety of inhalation damage by spray painting/varnishing in a sealed garage.

Vibration white finger from long use of a dremel.

And nearly stripping the flesh from my hands whilst dunking miniatures in Nitromors. Here's a tip: if your hands start feeling a burning sensation, your gloves aren't Nitromors-proof!

Finn Sourscowl
10-04-2008, 19:01
*raises hand* another victim of 4th Ed. Gobbos... I've lost count of the number of times I've put my hand down on the table to come up with a couple of these fella's hanging off!

My right thumb also has recieved a large number of cuts from cleaning flash off things towards it (pushing with thumb towards knife...)... kinda dumb I know :D

N810
10-04-2008, 20:39
Sheesh Ewan thats prety brutal :(

mmm only hobby related injuries...
Repeated burns with the Hot Glue Gun, and my hot knife (not only with the hot tip but also with the molten hot instantly bonding glue)
Various spray can inhelation injuries (the clear stuff is the worst)
melting strrofoam makes some peticularly nasty fumes aswell
Many minor injuries with sharp and dull knives (end of fingers bleed real good)
almost did the flock thing (thank god for glasses)
and some how i got super glue on my tooth (real anoying)

I currently have a minor stab wound at the base of each thumb.

(I blame all spelling errors on fume related injuries :p)

Madfool2
10-04-2008, 20:51
I've just had spiky bits scratch my hand. Although a friend of mine tripped over, and found a chaos rhino stuck in it.

scarletsquig
10-04-2008, 20:51
Slightly shattered jar of branston pickle.

Small shards of glass got into the pickle.

I made a sandwich and didn't notice that I was slashing my mouth open until I stopped to wonder what the hard crunchy bits were.

At least I didn't swallow it!

It's related to wargaming because I was at the local club when it happened. :p

I'd just flocked something (can't remember what) and needed to get rid of the excess into the flock tub. For some reason rather than turning it upside down and tapping it, i decided to get close and blow it off. My mind didn't register the open flock tub that was right under the model and one good blow send the stuff everywhere!

Oh boy, I've done that before... static grass is absolutely impossible to clean up.. there's still bits on the carpet after several years of hoovering.

Tommygun
10-04-2008, 21:01
I was scoring a tank model with a big 18mm box cutter and stabbed myself in the palm of my hand just above the wrist. Went in about 30mm deep and just missed the tendons. The Doctor asked me four different times how I did it, like he didn't believe me. Luckily I had a witness to back me up or he might have sent me to the syco ward.

buzz631
10-04-2008, 21:06
Put a small drill bit through my finger whilst grey knight still attached

Aladin_sane
10-04-2008, 21:13
The most painful thing I did was spray my hand with cyanoacrylate activator. Before realising that some of the superglue had dribbled onto my fingers.

Burned like buggery! I screamed like a little girl!

Since then I've never held anything in my fingers while using activator!

Oh yes, that happened to me once whilst making warmachine, dear god I cursed.

Mad Jack Deacon
10-04-2008, 21:19
"Figmata". I love it!

Let's see:

1. Innumerable X-acto cuts to fingers and hands. All of them small. Never too bad.

2. Driving my pin-vise too hard, penetrating the metal bit and then my fingertip. Imbedding the pin vise in the bone. That one hurt like a "sumbitch".

3. Again, innumerable burns from hot glue gun fights while building terrain.

4. Chemical burns from CA activator? Yep, done that too.

5. I've not had flock in my eye, but I've coughed static grass out of my lungs. Nothing say silicosis like using so much static grass you f' up the HVAC at the store.

6. My worst hobby related isn't related to the GW Hobby though, I also love to cook, and while chopping veg, I cut the tip off of my left thumb exposing a disc of raw flesh about half the size of a US penny. Since I was using a Shun knife, I didn't even feel it.

I elevated, compressed and wrapped it up tight. I still bled for two days. Finally it stopped and wound up healing. Up until recently I still had a flat spot on the tip of my thumb from the cut.

Lord_of_Undeath
10-04-2008, 22:37
dont ask how but super glue in the eye - had to keep eye open while i peled it off

4th ed goblins a WMD's ( warhammer modles of destruction )

Kinsley
10-04-2008, 23:22
I once had one of those BFSP goblin spears get jammed between my fingernail and nail bed. That was a pain I didn't know could exist...

Plastic Rat
11-04-2008, 09:12
My buddy and I both bought Proxxon hobby drills. They both came with some sort of small, very thin rotating razor saw. It cuts through pewter like the proverbial hot knife through dairy products... It cuts through plastic in a blink.

We don't know if it has a special name but we both refer to it as 'The Whirling Blade of Death'. Even in normal conversation.

One day my buddy was cutting the arm off a Warmachine model for some conversion and he got distracted. The Whirling Blade of Death jammed, flicked itself out of the model and skittered over his thumbnail. All so fast he didn't even see or feel anything.

It left a thin, dead straight groove straight across his thumbnail. As he squeezed his thumb, (as everyone seems to do in that situation, it seeped out a thin red line of blood on top of his nail.

Rather freaky and more than a tad cool. He got drinks off the story for weeks. Modelers are easily amused.

EDIT: Oh, yes, and the BfSP goblins, I've had encounters with them.. they're bloody lethal.

daemonkin
11-04-2008, 14:33
4th ed goblin spearmen - b*stards! Got a few of those embedded in my hand when I fell on them. Left a carry case on the stairs and came back down forgetting them, stood on the box, slipped, banged my noggin on the ceiling overhang and fell the rest of the way down. Models were ok though!

D.

electriceye83
11-04-2008, 16:16
Always seems to be the models are ok, its us who take the damage!

Armour saves anyone?

Anyway, Ive lost count of the number of times Ive cut myself working with warhammer, I tend to use a lot of knives for work anyway, but at the moment I have 8 keykloid (spelling?) scars on both hands from various things, a steel plate and screws in one hand, am currently missing a half a finger nail from a dremel accident.

But near misses would be my best one, decided to pin a blackstone fortress together, and was drilling the weapon part at high speed, when the drill bit jammed, and took the piece out my fingers, cue 3 inch 4 point star spinning at 35,000 RPM.

Have fun the dremel with sanding bits, drill bits, gouger bits, cutting bits etc etc over fingers, nails, hands so many times its not funny anymore, and no longer really bothers me either.

Done the super glue vapour in the eyes trick, also kinda gotten used to that as well, I work exclusively with the stuff, cause the pots I get here have a nice very small brush in the lid, perfect for basically everything tiny.

But as a side note super glue was invented as a temporary and instant battlefield dressing in the second world war.

The whole, if the bloods not coming out, its not a problem thing.
Hence it working so well on sticking cuts together, and nurses to people :)

Just gotta find me a nurse no :evilgrin:

Visionary
11-04-2008, 16:40
At our store we had a game to play with the golbins. You'd line them up in ranks and slam your hand as hard as you could on them, whoever had the most left in their hand won :rolleyes:

yabbadabba
11-04-2008, 16:46
A hobby like this comes with a veritable encyclopaedia of injuries - and I have picked up a few.

Best so far? Stapling my hand to a gaming table. I was trying to fix on a grass mat.

I can kind of take getting cut by a craft knife, but that was just clumsy.

dr.oetk3r
11-04-2008, 17:52
Apart from the obvios thumb looking like a spaghetti junction, the worst one I have had recently was a couple of weeks ago when drilling through a piece of slate with my pin vise. I was using a bit too much force, the drill bit snapped and I drilled through my thumb nail. My GF thought I was being murdered when I screamed. It's fun watching the hole creep up the nail as it grows though.

I laughed at that :p

Reaver83
11-04-2008, 18:09
I once 'dropped' a modeling knife blade first into my leg, thankfully, being a doctor i had some steri strips lying around to save myself

Patriarch
11-04-2008, 18:15
I hope no concerned parents are reading this thread!

"My little Timmy wants to start playing with space marines. It looks safe, I'll just type in "warhammer", "models" and "injury" into Google..."

Anyway, Ive lost count of the number of times Ive cut myself working with warhammer, I tend to use a lot of knives for work anyway, but at the moment I have 8 keykloid (spelling?) scars on both hands from various things, a steel plate and screws in one hand, am currently missing a half a finger nail from a dremel accident.

I think that wins the prize for "trying to become a full Tech-Priest"!

Archaon
11-04-2008, 18:16
Ages ago as a kid i was building a model of an aircraft carrier and glued the two halves of the hull together in a bad way. However it already stuck so hard together that i couldn't get it apart by just using force.

So i took my hobby knife and smart git that i were cut away from the body (as was said in the instruction manual).

So i applied pressure to the point where i wanted to cut through.. at some point i cut through with enough force to keep the knife going and i sliced the top off my left thumb knuckle.

At first i stared in disbelief at the small rounded top of skin on my knife and the flat area on my thumb. Didn't hurt and didn't bleed at first.. only when i pressed the sides of my thumb carefully did a big blob of blood appear and THEN it started to hurt like a motherf... :p

That was about my worst injury in my hobby.. i'm not counting the ocasional light cut, superglue on my fingers or ruined floor/table/clothes by paint/ink/glue.

Wolf Scout Ewan
11-04-2008, 19:06
Sheesh Ewan thats prety brutal :(

(I blame all spelling errors on fume related injuries :p)

Sytofoam + hot wire cutter+poor ventilation= best instant cure for constipation I know!

Inhaling static grass is painful.

I cant say I have had any accidents using dremels... I have slipped sanding and gouged a nail and the occasional friction burn.

My girlfriend says I really must stop leaving my knives lying around. She "found" one down the side of an armchair. She wasnt hurt but wasnt very happy.

dark blade
11-04-2008, 19:18
Hobby related? Simoltaniosly superglued my eye and mouth :) did not realise that i had super gule on my left hand, wiped eye, very very quickley extracted contact lens covered in glue, hurt like mad so stuck fist of right hand into mouth, remembered that right hand also had super glue on it, pulled away some gum, nothing to do put stop the bleeding and laugh (which started the bleeding again :rolleyes:

Close second, Glued myself to my bed while drunk. Out at a party, come home, not at all tired but ready for bed (just in boxers) so floce a few bases, feel suddenly very tired, wipe hands on bare chest and fall asleep on front, wake up in morning and manage to get out of bed and wax chest at saim time.

spaint2k
11-04-2008, 19:55
Ages ago as a kid i was building a model of an aircraft carrier and glued the two halves of the hull together in a bad way. However it already stuck so hard together that i couldn't get it apart by just using force.

I did something incredibly similar when I was a kid, only I held the ship on my leg as I applied pressure to the knife. Somewhat predictably, the knife ended up in my leg, and I still have the scar.

Still, it could have been worse; I could have plunged the knife into the family jewels if I'd been even more careless.

Steve

jedideinos
13-04-2008, 15:46
More little cuts thanks to knives than I want to remember.

Worst? Drilling a hole to attach a GK arm to the body, I slipped, the drill bit went clean through one fingertip and into the next. Reflexes took over and yanked the drill out before I know what I'd done. Only the pain and the line of blood under the skin let me work out what I'd done.

Griffo
13-04-2008, 19:48
@ ^ Ouch!

My injuries have nothing in comparison to some of the ones in this thread :p

I just have the usual ones....super glueing fingers together/to models. Slipping with files and them digging into my hand or leg, etc.

Now paint spillages...that's what i'm the master at :(

crandall87
13-04-2008, 20:44
I've got a bit carried away clipping off the sprue once and clipped my finger. That sure does hurt.

Crazy Harborc
14-04-2008, 02:32
I have had a long SHARP pointed plastic spear/sword/whatever stab me. The same with sharp pointed rods, wire, even a pewter spear point or two.

Cut myself with hobby knives, small pin vice/drills (hand powdered and electric).

The worst cut was from my left thumb tip back along the nail for over a inch (still have a scar after 40 years). I did that with a sharp kitchen knife. It was the last time I didn't have "correct cutting tools". I was 24 yrs old when THAT happen.

Chewbacacabra
14-04-2008, 18:41
I was working on a project when I got called into the other room. I got involved in an animated conversation and I gesticulated dramatically, as I had a point to make.
However, I forgot that I was holding a xacto with a fresh blade in my hand and I ended up burying the damn thing up to the hilt in my side.
It didn't hurt when I actually stabbed myself as it happened so quickly, but damn, it hurt for weeks afterwards. Bled like a stuck pig too. Ouch!

Plastic Rat
15-04-2008, 02:45
I was working on a project when I got called into the other room. I got involved in an animated conversation and I gesticulated dramatically, as I had a point to make.
However, I forgot that I was holding a xacto with a fresh blade in my hand and I ended up burying the damn thing up to the hilt in my side.
It didn't hurt when I actually stabbed myself as it happened so quickly, but damn, it hurt for weeks afterwards. Bled like a stuck pig too. Ouch!

Holy CARP dude!! O.O

How deep did the thing go?! I take it it missed everything vital? Just.. wow..

Foolish Mortal
15-04-2008, 08:33
I've had various cuts on my fingers & hands from scalpels/knives and a few stab wounds from pin vices, but nothing anywhere near as bad as some of the ones on here (thank god!!)

My worst one was more of a "near miss". I was trying to get at some flash in a hard to reach place on a plastic mini. Been the undoubted genius I am, I decided to hold the mini above my face and get it that way. Scraping away at it with my knife (towards me!!), knife skips off a raised bit and comes down on the bridge of my nose.

It wasn't a deep cut, but had the blade been slightly more to the right, well............

simonr1978
15-04-2008, 09:31
Like most people I've had my share of slices and stabs to the fingers and hands. The worst one wasn't modelling related and luckily was also a near-miss, finished the washing up one day, put everything in the draining rack, then spotted something I'd dropped on the floor, bent down to pick it up and stabbed myself in the eyelid with the carving knife which was stood point up in the draining board. Now knives always go in the drainer handle up.

Ironbreaker
15-04-2008, 17:27
I thought it'd be a great idea to stick down (with blu-tac) a whole unit of Night Goblins to my computer desk. I have lifted a model off the desk (connected to a finger) on more than one occasion.

Partisan Rimmo
16-04-2008, 16:07
I have the daddy of these.

The day was GDUK 05. I was bending down to get a Wraithlord out of my box.

I slipped. My knee came down on my own hand with all my weight on top. My index finger, middle finger and little finger were point forwards, with my hand flat. My ring finger was underneath my hand, as though in a fist position.

I crushed my own hand. Badly. I passed out from pain for a second. To this day, the knuckle is about a cm further down than it should be. My hand looks properly deformed. And you know what? Did I seek first aid? Did I seek attention?

Not till after I'd finished the game I didn't. Oh no. And best of all? Well people look at my hand now and say 'Ooooh, what happened there??' I can look them square in the eye and say 'I player Warhammer. It's a tough business.'

Also, a couple of my models have my own real blood decorating their weapons. Always thinking, me....

Crazy Harborc
16-04-2008, 20:26
Over 40 plus years of wargaming/ Over 40 plus years of OUCH......I stuck my @#$%&*** finger, thumb, under my nail!!! Darn newer plastic weapons points can draw blood!!:eek:

Bretonnian Lord
16-04-2008, 20:34
My friend impaled his foot on one of my knight's lances. :p Guess that knight practiced the Virtue of Heroism...

Scy
16-04-2008, 20:42
Had two concerning fresh new knife blades. One was when I was scraping away some mold line rather quickly and with force and ended up with the knife blade up my left thumb with the tip of the blade reaching over half way up the nail.

The second was rather funny looking back at it now, I dropped my knife on the floor, got off my chair to find it and couldn't see it anywhere.Turns out the knife had fallen off the table and fell downwards into one of my feet, feet which have no feeling in them due to frost bite at the age of 12 :D

Partisan Rimmo
18-04-2008, 16:54
Oh, another classic is terms of just being damn wierd.

I was repinning the underside of my Grand Class Cruiser as the flying base had so tiresomely snapped, and my method of choice to do this was to drill a hole 3 mm wide about 8mm deep. When you drill that much lead, it gets actually frazzlingly hot without you realising at all if you are holding a different bit of the model.

I still have the impression of Imperial ship architecture seared into my index finger 2 years later.

DigbyWeapon
04-05-2008, 09:51
Basically, super glue and tissue made me sick as.
Spray paint fumes, yeah I ignored the "Use in well ventiallated area" suggestion.
Uhh, cutting open my fingers, all that stuff, super glue on feet, goblin spear in eye.
If you cant tell I don't use the suggestions from packets or anything.
Oh and my friend stabbed me in the arm with an orc choppa which suprisingly hurt.

Digby

Shadowphrakt
04-05-2008, 20:48
I've superglued a Rune Priest to my tongue...twas painful, I got out of bed one morning and stood on 40 night goblin spearmen. ouch. and I also have numerous cuts and gashes from removing stuff from sprues, removing mould lines etc.

Volt
08-05-2008, 02:08
Lucky for me, in my almost 10 plus years of modeling and gaming, I haven't had any major incidents other than the typical cutting of my figure tips with an exacto knife. However that was getting so bad for me that I had to figure a super tough work glove to wear on my hand that holds the figure so I didn't cut myself so much :rolleyes:.

My worst cut actually didn't involve modeling, but was with an exacto knife. I had ordered Combat Mission II (a Computer WW2 simulator game) and was so exicted to get it finally, that I had to open it as soon as I could. Well instead of thinking, I just grabbed my exacto knife and cut the tape holding the top closed on the box, and well, I was holding the box at the top, and yeah, well, I slit the top of my index figure open about one inch long. The bleeding of course was extreme, but nothing I thought was major, since I had been cutting my finger tips for so long so was used to the bleeding. However, because of the size of the cut I had to practically bandage my whole finger up to cover it. It more than likely could have used stitches but I never had it checked out. Now I have a nice one inch scar across my finger. The funny part though was at work when people asked about it one of my coworkers said to tell everybody that I got in a bar fight. :P

Another incident involved with modeling, but didn't involve any injury was that back when I first started modeling back in middle school. I was gluing some figures together with super glue, and my mother called my name to come to her. Well stupidly, instead of setting the super glue bottle down, I PUT IT IN MY POCKET! (capitalized for the emphasis of how stupid of me to do that) Well when I returned to my chair to continue working on my figures, I sat down, and quickly looked around for my glue, forgetting where I put it. So next I tried to stand up, but had a little trouble, considering I sat on the glue bottle and some of it leaked out through my pants and onto the chair. The worst part is that the chair is cloth, almost like a couch cushion. And soon after that, my pants, and the chair now have a nice hole in them, where I had to cut out the superglue (probably another stupid mistake instead of leaving it alone).

heretics bane
08-05-2008, 17:17
COD the spikey bits on the top of the buildings and lampposts really hurt when your trying to get you sisters back

badgeraddict
08-05-2008, 18:21
I've set fire to my leg with GW Superglue! Burnt right through my trousers and onto my leg before I noticed!

No where on the bottle does it say 'FLAMMABLE!'

ZiggyTempest
08-05-2008, 21:21
I Managed to cut a deep gash in my thumb and middle finger in one go. Stupid Imperial Fist conversions... The model actually has my blood on it. My thumb didn't stop bleeding for a good 50 minutes ><

Needed stitches Lol

TheDarkDuke
08-05-2008, 22:28
stepping on a tomb scorpion i was hiding from my opponent(forgot i hid it on the floor:cries:)... hurt my foot and nearly made me cry considering how hard those things are to put to together before they become a squashed bug.

kishvier
08-05-2008, 22:33
Hey, there was a thread a couple weeks ago on superglue and knife accidents...it was titled anyone in 40K discussion I think...

Ward.
09-05-2008, 09:17
Hey, there was a thread a couple weeks ago on superglue and knife accidents...it was titled anyone in 40K discussion I think...

And there'll be another one in a few weeks as well, you'd think people would learn from what they read on the internet.

Two hours after reading a bit about knife safety on warseer I slipped and made an incision right down the side of my index finger on my left hand about 1mm deep.

Worst ever was with a friends help, they splashed super glue on my shirt and got it stuck to piercing, it sucked on so many levels.