PDA

View Full Version : Is the current boxset Edition looking tired?

battle captain corpus
09-04-2008, 15:47
So, is it time for a new starter boxset? The Mines of Moria one is all very well and good, but is it starting to go weak at the joints and complain when asked to stand for too long?:p
In other words, isn't it about time they re-did the core rules boxset and minis? Or are we happy with it still? :confused:

brettz123
09-04-2008, 16:22
I would say yes. I thought it wasn't really all that good when it came out. The troll looks hideous and the fellowship is a little blah. A new one would be awesome.

But what would you put in it?

Dinadan
09-04-2008, 21:13
Wait a couple of years until the Hobbit film comes out and then release one based on that. Either containing plastic Bilbo, Gandalf, Thorin & Co. for good and goblins for evil, or a sprue of Dwarves, a sprue of Mirkwood Elves, a sprue of Men of Laketown and a couple of sprues of goblins/mountain Orcs and wargs to represnt the forces at the BotFA.

brettz123
09-04-2008, 22:29
Wait a couple of years until the Hobbit film comes out and then release one based on that. Either containing plastic Bilbo, Gandalf, Thorin & Co. for good and goblins for evil, or a sprue of Dwarves, a sprue of Mirkwood Elves, a sprue of Men of Laketown and a couple of sprues of goblins/mountain Orcs and wargs to represnt the forces at the BotFA.

I wouldn't mind that as long as they bring out Thorin and the rest in metal also. The plastic ones are cheaper but they just aren't as nice.

Dinadan
10-04-2008, 09:02
That's why I suggested the BotFA armies alternative ;)

DDogwood
10-04-2008, 18:46
I don't see any god reason to re-do the MoM box. Maybe, when the Hobbit movie comes out, it would make sense to do a new one as an introduction to the game for new players, but IMO GW comes out with "new" editions and sets far too frequently. MoM is easily one of the best box sets GW has ever brought out, and I don't think that anything new, right now, would be an improvement.

HsojVvad
10-04-2008, 20:15
I don't understand what you mean? You think it's time for new rules? Why would you want that? I don't like when they keep changing the rules all the time.

EmperorNorton
10-04-2008, 20:20
I'd like to see a new starter set.
I have considered buying the Mines of Moria set a couple of times for the rules mainly, but since I already have the Fellowship in metal and more Moria Goblins than I have any use it's just not worth it.

rodmillard
10-04-2008, 23:29
I think the release of the Hobbit movie will see a new starter box, journey books for the new film, and probably LoME revised to update it to the current (and future) lists. There would also be scope for a region book on Eriador and/or the misty mountains. I don't think we'll see any significant changes to the rules, although there may well be a new edition of the rulebook with stats for the characters from the hobbit in it.

But GW would be stupid to do any of these things before the release of the Hobbit in 2010. They've gotten enough stick for redoing 40K within 4 years of 4th ed - they aren't going to want to have to redo anything within two...

battle captain corpus
11-04-2008, 09:04
I don't understand what you mean? You think it's time for new rules? Why would you want that? I don't like when they keep changing the rules all the time.

No...new BOXSET not rules set.

HsojVvad
11-04-2008, 21:08
No...new BOXSET not rules set.

Well I would love a new box set, but I don't think it will happen. It will not be worth for GW since it won't get many "new" people into LotR. It will be great for us, but not for them so I don't think I will see it happening.

But it is a great idea though.

LuciusAR
11-04-2008, 21:55
Well I would love a new box set, but I don't think it will happen. It will not be worth for GW since it won't get many "new" people into LotR. It will be great for us, but not for them so I don't think I will see it happening.

But it is a great idea though.

I don't know. I think there are a large number of potential LotR players out there. Many just take up 40K/WFB by default and ignore LotR due to the lack of store presence and promotion.

New exposure via a new boxed set might be just what the game needs.

DDogwood
12-04-2008, 00:19
I'd like to see a new starter set.
I have considered buying the Mines of Moria set a couple of times for the rules mainly, but since I already have the Fellowship in metal and more Moria Goblins than I have any use it's just not worth it.

I would suggest that the starter box isn't targeted towards current players. Bringing out a new starter box, targeted towards current players, wouldn't be a smart move (not that GW is known for making smart moves all the time...)

I don't know. I think there are a large number of potential LotR players out there. Many just take up 40K/WFB by default and ignore LotR due to the lack of store presence and promotion.

New exposure via a new boxed set might be just what the game needs.

I think that there must be better ways of promoting LotR than just releasing a new starter box. Instead of spending the money designing new minis, making new molds, editing and laying out a new rulebook, printing new books and boxes, and writing off old inventory, maybe GW could instead do some kind of incentive for independent game stores to start up LotR campaigns and game nights.

The fact that more people play 40k and WFB than LotR is a blessing and a curse.

LOTRCROWN
12-04-2008, 20:31
40k will have a new starter set before the lotr one will be redone ,itall goes in circles ,as for the MoM set its pritty kool and it surves the starters well ,saying its a bit tired ?? well you have been playing for a bit now time to expand the army ???? lol as it is designed to be for starters !!!

HsojVvad
13-04-2008, 05:26
40k will have a new starter set before the lotr one will be redone ,itall goes in circles ,as for the MoM set its pritty kool and it surves the starters well ,saying its a bit tired ?? well you have been playing for a bit now time to expand the army ???? lol as it is designed to be for starters !!!

True most people have been playing for some time now. As the OP I believe and thats why most want a new box set to get good value.

But as said above it's to introduce new people to the game like me. I had it for 3 years now I believe and no time to play but just model and read fluff but having a blast. Hopin got play soon.

battle captain corpus
14-04-2008, 09:13

Well I currently field 18 knights of gondor, 48 Rangers of Ithilien, 24 Warriors of Minas Tirith and assorted Gondor characters...I'm pretty sure that I've "expanded". :rolleyes:
And I currently do not own the boxset, as a vet I felt it better to buy the rulebook sperately and then customise an army not buy the boxset.
I am well aware 40K is being redone, you cannot be a member anywhere without knowing this. But this is just off topic.
It maybe designed for starters yes but so is the Bloodbowl boxset and the Battlefleet Gothic ones but they are still "fresh" feeling I feel comparatively. I can understand that its designed as more of an introduction set for noobies but I still feel maybe it can be changed or tweaked a little to keep it fresh and upto date.
Even if its a case of it being set at a different event in the trilogy maybe....

devolutionary
14-04-2008, 10:01
Question that's sorta on topic - is Mines of Moria a complete starter? In other words, does it have the full rules to play?

battle captain corpus
14-04-2008, 11:00
Question that's sorta on topic - is Mines of Moria a complete starter? In other words, does it have the full rules to play?

Yes it has.

devolutionary
14-04-2008, 11:19
Wonderful, cheers. I've been trying to get a straight answer for months now :D

Pitalla Crimson
14-04-2008, 18:33
wath about ambush at amon hen for the starter set?

just my 2 cents, I think the current starter set is fine.

nesbit37
14-04-2008, 19:31
I guess the real question should be, do people like to play Moria goblins still? I just started with LOTR, and avoided the boxed set because I wanted to play Dwarves. If people don't care about goblins or having the fellowship characters when they are just starting out, then the boxed set should be changed to reflect units more likely to get people into the game.

HsojVvad
14-04-2008, 19:37
I guess the real question should be, do people like to play Moria goblins still? I just started with LOTR, and avoided the boxed set because I wanted to play Dwarves. If people don't care about goblins or having the fellowship characters when they are just starting out, then the boxed set should be changed to reflect units more likely to get people into the game.

True true, i was lucky I wanted the Fellowship and goblins so it was a bonus for me.

Thing is you can't please everyone at the same time.

battle captain corpus
14-04-2008, 20:13

I think the reason they stayed with MoM is because you get all the recogniseable characters and you get to muck around with M, W & F straight away.
I agree with the poster who thought that Amon Hen would make a good starter pack. Uruk Scouts with Lurtz vs Boromir, Gimli, Strider, Legolas and the wee ones.

Lord Hurin
21-04-2008, 21:56
Hmmm...why don't they do a thing where they have the mini rulebook from MoM at GW and a new player can choose an Evil plastic set, a Good plastic set and a basic blister or 2 to go with it? That way an Easterling player could get the models they need, a Woodelf player could get what they need, etc etc etc.

yabbadabba
22-04-2008, 15:31
Answer - no. It costs too much for a rule set that needs little done to it to get the sales needed. And GW have floated the idea of a "pick and mix" core game for ages - still no dice. I'd rather have the development money spent on more models and source books.

40K and WFB used to get changed every 4 years from about 1994-ish, alternating every 2 years if I remmeber right. Alright thats only 14 odd years so a max of 4 changes but still ... ...

Lord Hurin
22-04-2008, 15:46
No no, what I'm saying is they should have the starter rulebook. The SAME one that's in MoM, (since I think most people agree that the rules themselves are still fine) and then they get X dollars or X pounds or X euros worth of models with it. The SAME models that they sell now.

Wouldn't that make more sense than casting a whole new plastic Fellowship? Some people just won't want the whole lot of them.

yabbadabba
22-04-2008, 15:58
And GW have floated the idea of a "pick and mix" core game for ages - still no dice.

As I said the idea has been around and been pushed for by various staff members for ages.

Lord Hurin
22-04-2008, 16:35
They still "wasted development time" on putting together those LoME bundles a while back.

Look, I'm a prime example of the type who would LOVE to be able to pick and choose which army comes with the rulebook. I also play Warhammer and have to borrow the rulebook because I don't wanna pay $75 Cdn for the hardback one and don't play Orcs or Dwarfs, so don't want Battle of Skull Pass. If the starter came with, say, Empire and Undead (or if I could CHOOSE an Empire and an Undead box) then I'd happily have bought it already.

You have to remember that for WFB and 40K, they're retooling the moulds to make models that fit together with minimal glueing. That can't be cheap.

SirSnipes
27-04-2008, 00:38
i would love anew rules set as there are so many rules thatjust akenos ence like bodyguard, ( my captainiscowering in abbulding but since hes here i have no problem in cahrging those spiders,fellbeats, balrog etcetera,or since my captains here your special effects dont work on mecuz i dont need to amei a courage roll(specters) we have huge disagreements about this all thetimeat my club andiwant it cleared upcuz it makes no sence, also trollsare either too expensive or too weak, they drop like fliesand nowtheres infantry( dwarves that are just as easy to kill as mordor trolls with archery) the cave troll is TOO underpowered for its cost(id buyit for mebe 45 points unless they buffed him up) also there should eb somesortoftroll wopon rule like beingable to hit supporters orsomethingas the size and lumberability ofthosehammmers will knowck everyone dead, alos idontsee how they can be blocked so i thing things with strenght6 or higher(unmodified) should ALWAYS win ties these are just some things that **** me off, YES there is a need for anew rulebook and yes for a new starter set, this si the ideas from sirgamesalot (thesecond largest private seller and largest gamer community of LOTR in north america) located in ontario canada( barrieto be precise)

Brandir
27-04-2008, 19:09
GW will re-release the box set in November 2010, just in time for the December 2010 release of The Hobbit at your local cinema.

The box set will contain a 'good' sprue of Dwarves, Men and Wood Elves; the 'bad' sprue will be Goblins and Wargs.

November 2011 will see the release of yet another box set. Not sure what will be the focus of the 'bridging film' that ill be released in December 2011, but I suspect that part of it will include the hunt for Gollum. One scenario will be the 'infamous' encounter between Orcs and Wood Elves that led to the escape of Gollum.

I suspect that 2013 will see another 'one book to rule them all'.

In a build up to The Hobbit SBG I suspect that we will see GW withdraw lines such as spiders, Mines of Moria box set and the 'one rulebook' so that the branding for The Hobbit helps cross promote the film.

battle captain corpus
28-04-2008, 08:27
GW will re-release the box set in November 2010, just in time for the December 2010 release of The Hobbit at your local cinema.

The box set will contain a 'good' sprue of Dwarves, Men and Wood Elves; the 'bad' sprue will be Goblins and Wargs.

November 2011 will see the release of yet another box set. Not sure what will be the focus of the 'bridging film' that ill be released in December 2011, but I suspect that part of it will include the hunt for Gollum. One scenario will be the 'infamous' encounter between Orcs and Wood Elves that led to the escape of Gollum.

I suspect that 2013 will see another 'one book to rule them all'.

In a build up to The Hobbit SBG I suspect that we will see GW withdraw lines such as spiders, Mines of Moria box set and the 'one rulebook' so that the branding for The Hobbit helps cross promote the film.

And the source of this is......?

Lord Hurin
28-04-2008, 10:48
Has GW renewed their license for Tolkien materials then? I hadn't heard any news of that...

Brandir
28-04-2008, 17:43
And the source of this is......?

You expect Warseer members to reveal their sources?

Yes?

OK.

My source is Mr D Throat ;)

Has GW renewed their license for Tolkien materials then? I hadn't heard any news of that...

The GW licence with New Line runs out in November 2011.

The GW licence with Tolkien Enterprises/Saul Zaentz for LOTR runs out in 2011; can't remember the exact month.

The GW licence with Tolkien Enterprises/Saul Zaentz for The Hobbit is a little complicated as it is an indirect licence due to previous merchandising deals. But I understand that GW have an option that will keep it until 2011 or so.

Remember that one of the key reasons GW secured all the Tolkien related licences for tabletop gaming is to prevent other companies getting the licence and essentially spoiling the GW LOTR lines.

I understand that GW do have some form of options for renewing these various licences.

Source: my good friend Mr D Throat :p